Drying question

Nickystickybuds

Hey folks,
So i harvested my best plant yet.
Still wet but should get 5/6 oz easy. So my question is that I've got my buds in a box to dry . its been 4 days (i know its not done)
The temp is 66 deg. And its gone down to 62 RH and ive got a small fan blowing over top of the box and it seems to be hokding steady. Am i on the right track?
Like i said I've never had this amount drying.

62 rh in the box/ room? 62 is the ideal RH for curing, so if your buds are at 62 Rh then jar and wait, if they are still to wet then continue to let them dry. A Hygrometer is good for checking RH, you can put in jar with buds and then check in an hour to see. 62% Boveda Packs are good too, but can only do so much, they are really more for maintaining the RH during cure, although if your jars have a good seal and your buds are at 62 % RH, then you won't need the BP's when jarred at 62 RH.

Hope this helps!

62 rh in the box/ room? 62 is the ideal RH for curing, so if your buds are at 62 Rh then jar and wait, if they are still to wet then continue to let them dry. A Hygrometer is good for checking RH, you can put in jar with buds and then check in an hour to see. 62% Boveda Packs are good too, but can only do so much, they are really more for maintaining the RH during cure, although if your jars have a good seal and your buds are at 62 % RH, then you won't need the BP's when jarred at 62 RH.

Hope this helps!
thanks bro! Yes the buds started out at around 70% now 4 days later its at 62% i do have a small hygrometer in the box with the buds. This morning they still feel really sticky n moist. To me they feel to wet to jar up. But that's why i come on here so you guys n gals can hook me up proper lol.
If the RH Is still holding at 62% should i jar up some bud n see if it fogs up?

I like my humidity to be around 40% for drying, then I bring it back up to 62% (using Boveda) for curing. 60+% at this point just slows the drying process down while also increasing the risk of mold or rot, which I'd be very concerned about if drying in a box. You should be hanging it to dry.

Hope this helps!
Just talked to the wife box back up to 69%. Friggin raining up here for over a month straight hang helped. So tonight im gonna put my ac i I the room to get a contant humid/temp. What shoukd i set at 65 degrees?

I like my humidity to be around 40% for drying, then I bring it back up to 62% (using Boveda) for curing. 60+% at this point just slows the drying process down while also increasing the risk of mold, which I'd be very concerned about if drying in a box. You should be hanging it to dry.
Its hanging. Ive got string running length of box so all the buds are perfectly suspended. Ive also got a small fan blowing not on the plants but. Across botom where theyre hanging. Its all this damn rain. Im putting an AC tonight whats a good setting. And they've only been drying 4 days that's not a lot for 6 ounces

Environmental variables can be hard to stay on top of. You'll get it dialed in with experience. :thumb:

Aim for 70 degrees and 40% humidity for 5 - 7 days before starting the cure. At that point 62% is perfect.
Not to step on your toes, it is my understanding that as soon as relative humidity inside the bud reaches 59% the curing stops. Even if you try to raise the humidity up again it won't do any good. Now this is what I understand from @Emiliya I believe.

Not to step on your toes, it is my understanding that as soon as relative humidity inside the bud reaches 59% the curing stops. Even if you try to raise the humidity up again it won't do any good. Now this is what I understand from @Emiliya I believe.

Once the oxygen inside your jars runs out, the curing stops. That's why you open the jars every so often. One of the points of curing is to draw the remaining moisture out slowly after a 5 - 7 day rapid drying process. What you're saying doesn't make sense to me, but I'm no scientist.

I dont like to let the harvest get too dry, its more difficult to rehydarte. Also, ive just started the fridge method for drying patience is necessary! When ur teady check out the fridge method.

I just lost a whole harvest of Berry Bomb to mold during the drying process....I put them into jars too soon...even though they were drying in open air for over a week...like you said all this rain is fvcking up RH. No harm will come to them even at 69% as long as they are in your box...but if they still feel moist, don't jar them.

Another lesson I learned from it is to chop up the big dense buds...tendency is to keep them intact because they look amazing...but they dry much more evenly if they are cut into 1-2" sections.

I just lost a whole harvest of Berry Bomb to mold during the drying process....I put them into jars too soon...even though they were drying in open air for over a week...like you said all this rain is fvcking up RH. No harm will come to them even at 69% as long as they are in your box...but if they still feel moist, don't jar them.

Another lesson I learned from it is to chop up the big dense buds...tendency is to keep them intact because they look amazing...but they dry much more evenly if they are cut into 1-2" sections.
Thanks Blew! So what i did wad put my AC in the room. So now its 64% RH and 66 deg. I gotta chop up the bigger ones still. Ive also been checking for mokd and none. The AC gonna help big time

Thanks Blew! So what i did wad put my AC in the room. So now its 64% RH and 66 deg. I gotta chop up the bigger ones still. Ive also been checking for mokd and none. The AC gonna help big time
The drying and cure have always been my biggest challenge...I dry in a root cellar and that varies with the weather. In 24 hours it can swing +/-20 RH%...luckily my temps stay fairly steady. in a best case scenario I leave my buds in an open jar (sideways) to dry for 2-3 weeks when the RH is around 60%. I was too worried that I would dry my last batch too quickly so, as I said, I jarred them too early. If they feel dry to the touch, jar them overnight and then try them 12-24 hours later....if they feel moist...they ain't dry enough ;)

The drying and cure have always been my biggest challenge...I dry in a root cellar and that varies with the weather. In 24 hours it can swing +/-20 RH%...luckily my temps stay fairly steady. in a best case scenario I leave my buds in an open jar (sideways) to dry for 2-3 weeks when the RH is around 60%. I was too worried that I would dry my last batch too quickly so, as I said, I jarred them too early. If they feel dry to the touch, jar them overnight and then try them 12-24 hours later....if they feel moist...they ain't dry enough ;)
Yes i find drying is a challenge for all of us! Im a patient person anyway so if it takes a while it takes a while. Today is only day 5 so im trying to stay ahead of the game. The outside of my buds are dry but you can just tell not insode the bud cuz its got that squishyness to it. Im at work so i had my wife jar up a decent size nug and see what RH does. It shot up from 64 to 70 in half hour so its not ready. This drying is a freaking art in itself haha. I am diggin this box dry technique tho cuz im fairly busy and lazy so if to high i open it to low i close it!!!! Temp is staying steady though. Then in about 4 weeks my Cheese will be ready and i get to do all this again!

Yes i find drying is a challenge for all of us! Im a patient person anyway so if it takes a while it takes a while. Today is only day 5 so im trying to stay ahead of the game. The outside of my buds are dry but you can just tell not insode the bud cuz its got that squishyness to it. Im at work so i had my wife jar up a decent size nug and see what RH does. It shot up from 64 to 70 in half hour so its not ready. This drying is a freaking art in itself haha. I am diggin this box dry technique tho cuz im fairly busy and lazy so if to high i open it to low i close it!!!! Temp is staying steady though. Then in about 4 weeks my Cheese will be ready and i get to do all this again!
With that cheese try drying in the fridge! I promise you’ll be impressed with the results. Just cut down the plant, wash it, cut all the buds off the stalks, lay them out on sheet trays with roasting racks, and pop em in the fridge. Every 4 days bring em out for 2 hours and let them come up to room temp. Then after two weeks start checking the Rh of a jar full of nugs. Once it’s under 70, it can all be jarred and burped.

The best thing about fridge drying is that the temps stay steady, and the rh doesn’t really matter much.

Back
Top Bottom