Drying question

GrouchyMofo

420 Member
This is my first grow. Haven't had to ask much cause it's all here for the reading(thanks to all). Grew outdoors and made a dry tent indoors(fan with filter, ac, humidifier). I've had a set and forget attitude with it for 14 days, opening once every 2 days to refill humidifiers. Temps averaged 58-64 and humidity averaged 55%-60%. Still spongey and stems bend but don't snap. Did I dry wrong or does this conclude my drying process so I can jar? Am I supposed to get it to the point of stem snapping? Thanks in advance.

Since you added humidity - I would inspect that bud very closely looking for anything white growing on stems & buds. I’m not saying it can’t be done this way but I’ve never heard of anyone adding humidity to their dry / cure process.

I do understand that by adding or thereby controlling the humidity you can slow does the process of curing & drying which is good, just never heard it being done this way. On the other hand we advise most growers to not use dehumidifier because it dries out the bud too quickly.

just my 2 cents but see what other replies you get!

There's no mold and humidity is still low this time of year, so to slow the dry I had to add some or I figured it would dry too fast. Maybe I misunderstood, I thought a slow controlled dry of 10-14 days was best.

See that’s a perfect case - someone in very dry location... again just never heard of anyone adding humidity.... so out of an abundance of caution I replied in the manner I did.

absolutely that’s correct, slow and controlled! Do you have mini hygrometers for your jars? Or are you using turkey bags or gamma seal buckets?

I've got cheapie ones from online but I like the newer ones that are built into mason jar lids

Best advice i've heard is to dry them just long enough for a joint to barely stay lit, then start the cure. Since everyone's situation varies, i feel that's pretty universal

This is my first grow. Haven't had to ask much cause it's all here for the reading(thanks to all). Grew outdoors and made a dry tent indoors(fan with filter, ac, humidifier). I've had a set and forget attitude with it for 14 days, opening once every 2 days to refill humidifiers. Temps averaged 58-64 and humidity averaged 55%-60%. Still spongey and stems bend but don't snap. Did I dry wrong or does this conclude my drying process so I can jar? Am I supposed to get it to the point of stem snapping? Thanks in advance.

Where did you get the temp and humidity information from for drying stage? I’ve read 70 temp (68-72) and 50 humidity (45-55) is best for drying. Also, can take longer to dry at cooler temps. Stem will snap or bud will easily pull off when ready to jar.

When jarring, make sure not to put it in before stem snaps or bud pulls off and keep humidity in check cause it can grow mold in the jar within a few days.

I’m a rookie, and this was my first grow too. I grew outdoors too but, using the water cure method though.

My perimeters are similar to yours.I jar after 7 days,usually pretty sticky.Others will let it dry longer.Depending have fast you bend or snap and where ,thicker stems will snap earlier.When it is sticky don`t fill the jars to the top,80%.
Burbing 2x a day hard to go wrong.Smokable after 14 days but the longer the better cure,even 60 days.

I dry my in a similar manner using an ink bird humidity controller in the tent. Cut the humidifier and check it often so it doesn't get too dry. What I do sometimes is take a bud (decent sized) and throw it in a Mason jar with a hygrometer. Within a few hours you should get a read on where the rest stands. You don't want to jar it too wet because it will mold.

You can eliminate all guess work by using a little bit of science :cool:
Cut a couple buds from stems and place in a jar.
Let sit open for 20 minutes or so if your space has RH lower than 60%.
Place a hygrometer in the jar and tighten the lid.
Let sit for at least 30 min.
Any reading over 67% RH , it’s too wet to start cure.
High chance of mold happening.
Any reading under 56% and it’s too dry to get a decent cure.
So do NOT over dry.
Cure , by burping twice a day ( checking RH w/ hygrometer ) for a few minutes , until the RH is
consistently between 62/58%.
Once they are in that range , burp once every couple days for a few seconds.
2 week cure is OK.
3 to 4 week cure is worth the wait.

Hey grouchymofo, I have compiled some great info from this site in my journal and without over selling it's eloquence, I do have some big guns clarrifying the questions you are asking here...maybe not exactly but it might help, pop in! :passitleft:

Edit: Aw, geez. Peace among worlds!

Back
Top Bottom