Drying Time

OlderStoner

After several grows now I'm curious about how long others take to dry the buds after they are harvested. I read lots of information that drying should take about 1-2 weeks and then curing can take another 2-4 weeks. I just harvested a giant fat bud last weekend and I hung it in a closet with the lights off. It's now only been 5 days and that entire bud is like crispy, bone dry. While I'm sure it still has some moisture in it, it is really dry and can be smoked right now. I do plan on letting it sit in a glass jar while I consume it so there will be additional curing happen. I guess I'm just not sold on the extended longer periods of drying time required that I've read in many posts and articles.

BTW I live in a sub-tropical part of the country so it's not like it's been low humidity which would have accelerated the drying time.

I like my drying time to take about 5 days at a minimum. Sometimes it only takes 3 before I have to take it out of drying and put it in jars. I'd like it to dry slower though and am trying to get it closer to 5-7 days.
Curing- yes it should be cured well. By 6 weeks the quality has gone up so much over where it was at 2. After that it only gets better. Try it! The wonderful aroma is the first clue.

I find drying/cureing is the most important step i dry in the bathroom the tiles in the bathroom help the humidifier i keep it around 50-55% humility and 23-25c takes 4-5 days and the stems snap i cure for two weeks burping 3 times a day but less as the weeks go by i like smoking as I'm curing and you can tell the difference

You mentioned just a bud... Was there any stem on it or was it cut close? No stem means no moisture so it would dry much faster. if you had any fans going that would decrease drying time as well. It should take between 5-7 days. If it's drying much faster than that make some adjustments to slow it down. Put a humidifier in the room or some buckets of water to help. don't cut branches off, cut at the base so there is more stem body to help out the process. Go as far as making one cut (the entire plant as a whole) and hang to dry.

Back
Top Bottom