DrZiggy's Low And Slow Drying: Maximizing Your Harvest

It's a zkittles of some kind. Got it from seed supreme, which I've learned may not be the best genetics, but damn.. the nose is like funky sweet with kind of like a gassy/fuel smell. Very intense nose!
I've dried a few times in my outdoor mini fridge. It smells like dank weed for months.
Congrats on the harvest!

Thanks homie!! 🙏

Now to trust the process! Haha 🥴
It's nerve wracking for sure.

I've found that after 11 or 12 days in the fridge, airy buds are dry enough for jars. Chunky nuggets may go 14 days. The stick test helps. Buds will initially look and feel like you over-dried, but after a day or two in jars the RH goes back up. If it goes over 68% I put mine back in the paper bag in the fridge for another 24-36 hours.

Tip: leave some small popcorn buds on the plant for an additional 3-4 days and place those in a small bag in the fridge as well. If you accidentally over-dry you can add a few of those "fresher" buds to your jars to easily raise the RH.

For me, I've found the nice smell dissipates after 12 days in a paper bag in the fridge. After a few days in the jar it returns. Sometimes it takes 2 weeks or more to return so don't freak out. If the aroma in the jars is grassy, or if the lid kind of "pops" when I open it (indicates off-gassing), I burp more often. If the jar smells nice and / or no "pop" I burp less. I've found that with fridge dry you really don't need to burp much at all - maybe just the first 2-3 days to check RH then leave it sealed. Check again in a week.

Good luck!

I've found that after 11 or 12 days in the fridge, airy buds are dry enough for jars. Chunky nuggets may go 14 days. The stick test helps. Buds will initially look and feel like you over-dried, but after a day or two in jars the RH goes back up. If it goes over 68% I put mine back in the paper bag in the fridge for another 24-36 hours.
If the buds feel like they have gotten too dry I like to close the bag back up and put it on the kitchen table for a couple of hours. As it comes back up to room temperatures they tend to feel moist again. Back in the fridge for another day or two.

Eventually, they will come up to room temp and feel just right so time to put into the jars.

On day 5 now, buds are looking very tasty!

Noticed the overall humidity readings on the hygromter are starting to slowly trend down too. (Bluetooth govee)

20231123_092631.jpg

20231121_174729.jpg

It took quite a few dries for me to hit the sweet spot. I used to check daily, and flip the bags. Now I put it in, and check in 8- 10 days. 8 for airy bud, 10 for nugs.

I took some out yesterday. Climbed to 63% humidity and sat between 61%-63%. Now they will sit jarred and undisturbed for two weeks.

You will get a fright when you initially feel perfectly fridge dried. It’s crispier than a chip. It feels ruined. Literally scares the fuck outta me ever. single. time! Lolling!

Hey all, just wanted to confirm a few things.
I just got the Frigidaire EFMIS155 fridge. Chop the fan leaves, leave the sugar leaves, place ~20g of bud in brown paper lunch bags, throw them in fridge, set the fridge to 40 degrees f.

How do you know when they are dry and ready for curing?

I see that some people place a hygrometer (govee) in the fridge to monitor RH. Why? Should the fridge temp be adjusted to keep RH at a certain level? I thought it was just set to 40d and forget.

Thanks

Hey all, just wanted to confirm a few things.
I just got the Frigidaire EFMIS155 fridge. Chop the fan leaves, leave the sugar leaves, place ~20g of bud in brown paper lunch bags, throw them in fridge, set the fridge to 40 degrees f.
How do you know when they are dry and ready for curing?
I see that some people place a hygrometer (govee) in the fridge to monitor RH. Why? Should the fridge temp be adjusted to keep RH at a certain level? I thought it was just set to 40d and forget.
Thanks
Hey Johnny, and :welcome: to the site! Most folks have they're favorite low and slow summary and since I got here first, here's mine (courtesy of @MrSauga):

Low and Slo: In The Bag

Basic points:
  • Paper bags will help speed the process by about a week.
  • You’ll get better than 25% back, so loading the bags at 28 grams wet means every four bags’ll bring you very close to an ounce dry.
  • 28 grams to a lunch bag is a good volume for smooth drying.
  • Save most trimming for later to retain even more terpenes. I only take off fans.
  • Laying the bags on their side increases surface area facilitating the drying process.
I wash the buds and hang dry for 4 hours and then trim the buds into the bags.

After three days open the bags, reach in and gently bounce the buds apart. Close up and put them back in place.

Do this again at least one more time, about 3 days later. After that you can forget about them.

In two weeks I pull them and finish drying with rice balls to 62-65%.
Then into a jar with a Boveda.

NEW ADDITIONS
____

The process is a simple one. You want humidity levels at around 45-50% and temperatures at 40-45 degrees F.

* Harvest and wash buds, if that's your inclination. I will tell you, that washing the buds will fascilitate a more even and faster dry. Most of us let the branches hang to dry for around 4 hours. This is completely arbitrary. You're going to dry them nonetheless.

* Trim the buds from the branches small enough that they won't take forever to dry. It'll take a round or two to find your personal sweet spot, but everyone has their own comfort zone.

* Place the buds in jars that'll be gently tumbled daily or every three days, or into paper bags. In either case keep in mind that you're trying to create maximum surface area, so avoid overloading the storage container.

* Occasionally tumble, separate, or do whatever floats your boat to keep the buds from forming a big, sticky ball. I find that I have great luck with the bags if about every three days I stick a hand in and move things around.

* Once a week let the buds air dry in a room with reasonable humidity to help drop the levels a little faster. I usually don't start doing this until the second week. Larger buds can take up to three weeks to get down to below 70% humidity, but in bags, most material is ready to work the rest of the humidity out in jars, and the cure begins at the two-week mark. I use rice to help with this.

* When you have them stable in the jars, begin curing as per your favorite method.

I should note that she skipped the step where you take them out of the bags after a week and put them in a sealed jar for a few hours with a hygrometer to check the process.

This is great. Thank you. As far as checking for doneness, put in a sealed mason jar with a hygrometer. How long should I wait to check the rh? And at what rh should I put them back in the fridge? Thanks!
I'd stick with those instructions in terms of a timeline, and wait about 12 hours for the RH in the jar to settle with the hygrometer.

In terms of when they're ready to jar for good, that really depends on your intention. If it's just to keep them from overdrying in your environment, you can pull them in the high 60s - 70% RH range and burp them down to wherever you normally close your jars for curing.

If your intention is to preserve the terpenes as Sweet Sue's original post suggests, then wait for mid 60s RH and use the rice ball technique in my signature to lower the RH quickly (could be less than an hour). At that point you can seal them for curing. With the rice ball method there's no burping that will let the terpenes drift off.

Back
Top Bottom