DrZiggy's Low And Slow Drying: Maximizing Your Harvest

Oh good! I wanted to make sure there was additional information here in case someone is using this for reference. I've seen folks rot their harvest relying on humidity packs to do the heavy lifting of RH reduction.

yep dont worry, since the 14 day mark i have been messing with the buds enough they wouldnt of had enough time to mold given the amount i am moving them around

I would do paper bags but I won’t be able to stack them I need to be able to stack to get the most out of the space

I suppose a few holes drilled in the sides of the pizza boxes will work for air exchange.

I can get a pack of 50 18 inch pizza boxes off eBay plain cardboard no dye very cheap.

I could fine tune the drying process by adding more holes if they don’t dry fast enough

Just realized, should have bought two. Still will be cold for my beer in about a week. Thanks Zigs for the help.:thumb:

Low temps should keep the mold spores from germinating. Just keep a close eye on it. Also I’d probably take the buds lower than 68-70% rh before jarring just for safety sake.

Ive got the majority of the buds in jars and cannavaults at rh 66%.
i still have a few jars that have all the bigger buds now in jars in the fridge with no cheesecloth. i bring them out of the fridge once a day now and let it come to room temp then carefully take them out of the jar to burp. probably will still be a few days until it is dry enough to jar/vault. all the jars also have 8gram boveda 62s and 67 gram62% in the vaults.

i believe i need a few days to really start to get some smell. i was ill prepared to jar the amount that i had and i ended mixing both strains. will that have any effect of the curing?
The larf that i have been able to smoke so far still has a chloryphll tasteish to it. im hoping i didnt somehow mess things up by trying to finish the buds this week by burping out of the fridge.
as far as the buds goes they have awesome blue candy like smell on the break up and is sticky AF. i am hoping the chloryphll will leave and i will be able to taste the smell, currently only can semi taste the candy on the back end mixed with the chlor taste.
will report back as bud goes on.

Ive got the majority of the buds in jars and cannavaults at rh 66%.
i still have a few jars that have all the bigger buds now in jars in the fridge with no cheesecloth. i bring them out of the fridge once a day now and let it come to room temp then carefully take them out of the jar to burp. probably will still be a few days until it is dry enough to jar/vault. all the jars also have 8gram boveda 62s and 67 gram62% in the vaults.

i believe i need a few days to really start to get some smell. i was ill prepared to jar the amount that i had and i ended mixing both strains. will that have any effect of the curing?
The larf that i have been able to smoke so far still has a chloryphll tasteish to it. im hoping i didnt somehow mess things up by trying to finish the buds this week by burping out of the fridge.
as far as the buds goes they have awesome blue candy like smell on the break up and is sticky AF. i am hoping the chloryphll will leave and i will be able to taste the smell, currently only can semi taste the candy on the back end mixed with the chlor taste.
will report back as bud goes on.
You should be just fine. Mixing strains won’t effect the cure. Over the next two week at room temp as you get closer to 62, the smell will really start to come out. When I first jarred up my last harvest out of the fridge it still smelled like hay, with a bit of a wet bud smell to it. Now, about three weeks later, the initial smell is just a very sweet cannabis smell with deeper inhales revealing gasoline, lemon cleaner, and burnt rubber.

How long has it been since you first put the buds in the fridge?

so on 5-14 i clipped a couple buds off of my early miss it was at week 6 flower
they were two small buds that were crowded in the middle.
i clipped them and hung them directly from the racks in the fridge. they hung since the 14 of may ( almost 4 weeks)

i checked them and the buds were crisp. the main stem was still wet though.
at this point i clipped each nug off the main stem and jarred to check rh%

i am thinking maybe i should have just hung the buds to begin with and i have a harvest in the next week or two, whenever i get the ambition or the trichs go 25% amber. these buds still have the “fresh” smell that the last one didnt neccasarily have? it smells great, if after overnight the rh is in the proper range i might have stumbled on something that works in my particular refridgerator

you can see the moist fan leaf stems. the stems of the buds where they connect are a lighter shade of brown which to me indicates dryness. the buds themselves are crisp to the touch, but i am sure the sweat in the jar overnight will distribute the remaining moisture and can get it back in the fridge to drop the remaining rh

7D86E865-9D30-40DC-A2C6-43158AE845DD.jpeg

You should be just fine. Mixing strains won’t effect the cure. Over the next two week at room temp as you get closer to 62, the smell will really start to come out. When I first jarred up my last harvest out of the fridge it still smelled like hay, with a bit of a wet bud smell to it. Now, about three weeks later, the initial smell is just a very sweet cannabis smell with deeper inhales revealing gasoline, lemon cleaner, and burnt rubber.

How long has it been since you first put the buds in the fridge?
it will be 3 weeks on monday
i would say 75% is in target rh% of 64-66 and jarred with boveda 62s and out of the fridge
last buds in the fridge are the biggest tops off the plant.

Hey all,

I’ll be harvesting in August and I’m searching for the best dry and cute methods. I read the post by furcifer, ‘the good stuff’, and I don’t seem to understand how washing buds and drip drying them for 4 hours will result in buds being ready for a fridge. Wouldn’t that be far too much water left in the buds to jar up? Would there not be tons of condensation? I know some of you have maybe tried this, or perhaps I have read the post wrong. Do You then leave in the fridge until they are measured to be 64ish% rh in jars, and then cure them normally in the dark? Why not put boveda 62% packets in right away?

Hey all,

I’ll be harvesting in August and I’m searching for the best dry and cute methods. I read the post by furcifer, ‘the good stuff’, and I don’t seem to understand how washing buds and drip drying them for 4 hours will result in buds being ready for a fridge. Wouldn’t that be far too much water left in the buds to jar up? Would there not be tons of condensation? I know some of you have maybe tried this, or perhaps I have read the post wrong. Do You then leave in the fridge until they are measured to be 64ish% rh in jars, and then cure them normally in the dark? Why not put boveda 62% packets in right away?

read post 1899 and gives a general idea of what to do step by step.
we are all experimenting on this method on this thread and finding out what works and what doesnt.
you DO NOT seal up anything inthe fridge after 4 hours fyi

Hey all,

You don’t want to put the boveda packs in right away because the jars are still open, just with cheesecloth over top. The boveda packs would dry out super fast and do nothing to help the material dry.

You want to leave the buds in the fridge until they rh at <70% in a sealed jar at room temp after a couple hours.
For the first two weeks, only remove the buds from the fridge every 3-4 days for an hour or two to thermalize them to room temp. This helps the drying process along, a “temperature burp” if you will.

Once they’re under 70% at room temp in a sealed jar, you could theoretically drop in the boveda packs and be good. But I personally would rather just go on burping the jars myself and monitor the Rh. Boveda packs are good, but nothing beats the proper knowledge and a trustworthy hygrometer.

So I harvested one large bud and put it in the fridge with a hygrometer to check what it would be like.

The fridge has enough room for 50 pizza boxes... I have only 1 bud in there at the moment and my humidity is sky high...

I imagine if I add more wet buds the humidity will reach 100% what do you guys do about this?

Attachments

• 1B0E335D-1336-4C8D-85C0-0555FC1681F9.jpeg
    1B0E335D-1336-4C8D-85C0-0555FC1681F9.jpeg
    301.9 KB · Views: 139
doesnt matter as long as its a frost free fridge.
humidity will be high but will reduce on its own in due time.
the humidity dropping is a sign that the fridge is drying the buds, so dont worry its ok.
i just went through all the stuff thats probably going theough your head
post 1899 is my noob ass procedure as to what worked. its not a strict guideline but its a step by step to get you started.

due to the cold temperatures you have ALOT more wiggle room to not dry out the buds too much.
you really cant mess it up unless you go on vacation for 6 months and forget you have buds in there

doesnt matter as long as its a frost free fridge.
humidity will be high but will reduce on its own in due time.
the humidity dropping is a sign that the fridge is drying the buds, so dont worry its ok.
i just went through all the stuff thats probably going theough your head
post 1899 is my noob ass procedure as to what worked. its not a strict guideline but its a step by step to get you started.

due to the cold temperatures you have ALOT more wiggle room to not dry out the buds too much.
you really cant mess it up unless you go on vacation for 6 months and forget you have buds in there
Surely the buds can still mold in the fridge?

How do you explain food going off and growing mold in the fridge?

If I leave strawberries or any other fruit in my home fridge too long they grow mold

If I leave strawberries or any other fruit in my home fridge too long they grow mold
They can, but not as fast as outside the fridge. Try putting a tub of strawberries in the fridge, and one on the counter. See what they look like in a week.

I haven't been able to read through this whole thread yet but it is fascinating.

Food that goes moldy in the fridge generally has no air circulation. It’s in a Tupperware or a bag, its wrapped in plastic or something like that. The lack of air exchange and trapping of moisture is what causes the mold. Well ventilated in the fridge, you should be worry free.

Back
Top Bottom