DrZiggy's Low And Slow Drying: Maximizing Your Harvest

It should raise some when you have it full of bud.

Thanks Penny! That's what I was hoping for, was just worried in case the starting point was too low. I realised if I dampened a towel, rolled it up and placed it in the fridge, it raised it to 35% RH. :thumb:

I dry in a refrigerator and cure in turkey bags

I think I've got some turkey bags in the cupboard but I think they're plastic? Have you had any problems curing in higher temps?

Sure the mason jar is the old gold standard. We put buds in paper grocery sacks and put them in the fridge. First few day open the bag and shake gently. Takes 10 days to 2 weeks to dry. Once you get them down to 62% rh I place them in a plastic turkey bag and stick that in a 5 gallon bucket with a screw top lid. Burp the bags for a few days then seal it all up and let the cure.

Sure the mason jar is the old gold standard. We put buds in paper grocery sacks and put them in the fridge. First few day open the bag and shake gently. Takes 10 days to 2 weeks to dry. Once you get them down to 62% rh I place them in a plastic turkey bag and stick that in a 5 gallon bucket with a screw top lid. Burp the bags for a few days then seal it all up and let the cure.

Yes I completely understand what your all doing here and I find it very interesting. But can this be done with mason jars in the fridge, replacing the paper bags?

@CADBOY I don’t know if you found the answer to your question, but I plan on doing mine in mason jars. I’ll be following the instructions on post #337. I’m going to try and do the cold cure per the info on post #2606.

Word of warning to the Low & Slow crowd - take the advice around using a no-defrost fridge seriously. I have been using the type that needs to be defrosted for years without issue, but I failed to defrost before my most recent batch and end up getting water in some of my bags, causing mould. I lost almost half of my harvest. It’s a tough lesson to learn.

Thanks Tricam! This is great info...your post validates that this is a time tested way of drying/ curing. Sue has reported that the taste and effect are the best she has experienced, using the low and slow, or "lotus" technique. Great thread...I'm onboard when I harvest next.

Tricam, you mentioned that you wash your bud also, may I inquire what your method is, as many of us wash also. I am always seeking enlightenment in what is the best way to do something, and why. Please, if you need to be scientific, lay it on us.
I have a question:
I've never washed my buds. The plants are grown indoors in a very sanitary environment without pests and dust. Why would I wash my buds? What would it do for them? I'm very interested to know if I should be doing this.???

I thought I would give an update on my low & slow experience so far. I followed SweetSue's instructions but decided to check the bags more often. I'm really glad I did because on day 9 the buds were actually over dried with the RH settling between 35-40%. Thankfully I've managed to get them up to between 55-58 RH with a couple of boveda packs. :thumb: I think from now on I'll check them every other day to avoid over drying again. With that being said, the buds that came out of the fridge have 10x the smell of the hang dried buds. Still waiting on them curing before I sample but judging by the smell I'm sure they will be a delight. :drool:

Put them in paper grocery sacks, open the bags once a day and give a shake. Leave them in the fridge until they reach a rh of 59% to 62% then you can start curing. You can check rh by placing maybe half of a jar of buds then place a small hygrometer in the jar and seal it. Wait several hours before you read the hygrometer.

When you dry in the fridge , what do u put the buds in ?
And how long in the fridge ?

Like @Pennywise said, you can use paper bags, but you can also use Mason jars. That’s what I’m doing. Check out post #337 for a synopsis of “low & slow”.

Back
Top Bottom