DrZiggy's Low And Slow Drying: Maximizing Your Harvest

Thanks you all for,your help with this!

Harvest sat in paper bags in the fridge for 2 weeks, opened bags a couple times and rotated the buds. I did leave a lot of stem and sugar leaf on so I emptied each bag into a bowl, 1 at a time then trimmed the buds off the stems leaving some stem on to help with a slow cure and jarred. I wound up with 11 full jars. Rh in the jar needs to come down a little which I will put the jars in a box, tops off with a couple cups of rice that is dry and wrapped in silk, about 35%, for a few hours then check until it gets down to around 62 and will add the boveda packs and hygrometers in a few jars. Initial tests of the sugar leaf is very positive!

:passitleft:

Why don’t I do this proper? :battingeyelashes:

Low and Slo: In The Bag

Basic points:
* Paper bags will help speed the process by about a week.
* You’ll get better than 25% back, so loading the bags at 28 grams wet means every four bags’ll bring you very close to an ounce dry.
* 28 grams to a lunch bag is a good volume for smooth drying.
* Save most trimming for later to retain even more terpenes. I only take off fans.
* Laying the bags on their side increases surface area facilitating the drying process.

I wash the buds and hang dry for 4 hours and then trim the buds into the bags.

After three days open the bags, reach in and gently bounce the buds apart. Close up and put them back in place.

Do this again at least one more time, about 3 days later. After that you can forget about them.

In two weeks I pull them and finish drying with rice balls to 62-65%. Then into a jar with a Boveda.

Hope that helps. :battingeyelashes:
Thanks Sue.

Thanks you all for,your help with this!

Harvest sat in paper bags in the fridge for 2 weeks, opened bags a couple times and rotated the buds. I did leave a lot of stem and sugar leaf on so I emptied each bag into a bowl, 1 at a time then trimmed the buds off the stems leaving some stem on to help with a slow cure and jarred. I wound up with 11 full jars. Rh in the jar needs to come down a little which I will put the jars in a box, tops off with a couple cups of rice that is dry and wrapped in silk, about 35%, for a few hours then check until it gets down to around 62 and will add the boveda packs and hygrometers in a few jars. Initial tests of the sugar leaf is very positive!

Did you pick up any subtleties of scent, taste, or effect you may not have noticed before ween?

Thank you for the documentation. :hug: So, do you feel the inclusion of the branches helped you control the drying?

Did you pick up any subtleties of scent, taste, or effect you may not have noticed before ween?

Thank you for the documentation. :hug: So, do you feel the inclusion of the branches helped you control the drying?

Hey Sue! I'm not great about describing smells but it's amazing for sure.im still burping it down, almost there. When the jars are open and I walk in the room it's overpowering and delicious! Its fruity with a hint of citrus. One jar of sweet pink stink actually smells like piss which is a first for me. We've only smoked sugar leaf and kief so far and both were amazing, the Boss says flavor is the very best, sweet and dank and earthy and fruity. Blown away! Flavor far and above what she's ever smoked. She said that feeling you get at first of being really stoned lasted over an hour. She'll smoke some bud today and report back.

I'm not sure about the stems. Most of the buds were pretty small. After two weeks, most everything felt dry on the outside with a little bit of squishiness, some did feel a little moist. I cut off a good portion of stem before jarring and rh was as high as low 80s. I've been leaving jars opened for a few hours then close for 1/2 day or so and check again. Today may be last burp, they were 66-70.

This will be my new method going forward! I may also try the cob thing at some point.

Thanks very much for your help!

And where do you keep your food?

Ah m’lord, you assume I cook. Lol! Food had 1.5 shelves and most of the door. :rofl:

She's she's already shipped it down to Louisiana!

My food on hand fits into one small shopping bag. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Let us know how that Mendocino Underdog turns out please.

I’ll have Jgrowlove share that. I sent the majority of it off with him. I don’t smoke indicas myself if I can help it.

Ok cool, I love my indicas.

Most people do.

Oh! Wait! You’re talking about the bags I have in the fridge! Duh! :rofl: See? That fresh Carnival is kicking my butt!

The daughter will be using the Mendocino Underdog. J got the Mendocino Underdog #2. Lol! You see my buzzed confusion?

I’ll have her report. :cheesygrinsmiley:

And your sativas, chopped on the early side!

Oooo.....I’m really looking forward to that, but from the looks of things with the loupe even my Red Diesel is cloudy. I was thinking about taking her early, since she’s just starting to change and most of the trichomes are still clear.

The Devil’s Carnival is already all cloudy. Running at 10/14 got them matured faster than I anticipated.

The most reliable way to calibrate a hygrometer is the salt test. A cap (like from a gatorade bottle) filled with table salt. Add distilled water until just before it pours over and put that in a zip lock bag with the hygrometer overnight. It should be 71% in the morning.
At the risk of looking stupid, I wanted to correct this post to say that it should read 75% in the morning. :oops:

At the risk of looking stupid, I wanted to correct this post to say that it should read 75% in the morning. :oops:

Awww....you’re human, like the rest of us. :hug: Ask Teddy to edit the original for you. That way no one’s ever confused. He helps me out like that all the time. :battingeyelashes: :love:

Ok....my buds have been in the fridge for 2 weeks but I feel like they need longer. What should I be looking for to know if they are ready to go into the turkey bags?

Back
Top Bottom