DrZiggy's Low And Slow Drying: Maximizing Your Harvest

A hygrometer :).
Haha. I got some of those. Are you saying put it in the bag and go with it? I was wondering about the stems...should they be a certain way if they are dry enough? Now they still just bend.

Hey everyone, I wanted to say thanks for the posts.. I live in a very humid area and the moisture was simply not going to come down enough for a traditional "hang dry" without the addition of a powerful dehumidifier at the last minute. Long story short: this thread was a life saver and I'm now curing a very fragrant grow.

Not much to add from my experience outside of appreciating the granularity this method affords. Drying doesn't get much easier than being able to test and replace bags until RH is perfectly optimal. Coupled with the preservation of color and terps and now we're looking forward to steady slow dries. Have a great harvest season all!

Hey everyone, I wanted to say thanks for the posts.. I live in a very humid area and the moisture was simply not going to come down enough for a traditional "hang dry" without the addition of a powerful dehumidifier at the last minute. Long story short: this thread was a life saver and I'm now curing a very fragrant grow.

Not much to add from my experience outside of appreciating the granularity this method affords. Drying doesn't get much easier than being able to test and replace bags until RH is perfectly optimal. Coupled with the preservation of color and terps and now we're looking forward to steady slow dries. Have a great harvest season all!

Well... we’re pleased as punch to have been able to inspire a good response to the up accommodating low humidity levels cannabalabadingdong. :hug:

Enjoy the tasty harvest. :battingeyelashes:

i hope most are planning on curing it Lo' & Slo' too..(I did mine in jars) :)
Yo Ziggs. Long time but I have a quick question. Do you recommend taking the buds off the stems before going into the fridge? Should I payed them in the open first then go to paper bags or straight to paper bags. I trust you... I want the ziggs cure. I mean I’m takin in everyone’s info but.... lol

Hey Mag! I can't answer for Ziggs and I don't think he's been around for quite sometime. You may have to settle for other advice. I am not too experienced with this method, just did my last harvest and one smaller run before but I know the goal is to have them dry slow and leaving the buds on the stems will help that. I can't say if it's the right answer but it's what I did and it worked out pretty good. i think most everyone here is washing the buds then hanging to dry for about 4 hours.

:passitleft:

Yo Ziggs. Long time but I have a quick question. Do you recommend taking the buds off the stems before going into the fridge? Should I payed them in the open first then go to paper bags or straight to paper bags. I trust you... I want the ziggs cure. I mean I’m takin in everyone’s info but.... lol

Morning Mag :hug:

Most of the members using the process are washing buds and hanging to drip dry for four hours. That doesn't mean it's an absolutely necessary segment. When we use foliars we feel more secure washing all that off.

Cutting from the branches into smaller buds has worked marvelously for me. Inside the bags the humidity gradually releases over 2- 3 weeks. These days I get all of my produce out of the bags and into the curing stage at the end of two weeks.

If left on the branches the process just takes extra time.

Morning Mag :hug:

Most of the members using the process are washing buds and hanging to drip dry for four hours. That doesn't mean it's an absolutely necessary segment. When we use foliars we feel more secure washing all that off.

Cutting from the branches into smaller buds has worked marvelously for me. Inside the bags the humidity gradually releases over 2- 3 weeks. These days I get all of my produce out of the bags and into the curing stage at the end of two weeks.

If left on the branches the process just takes extra time.
Morning Sue and Ween. So I went ahead and and followed to the instructions that most have been doing. One is that I always wash my harvest and let it dry. So after about 6 hours I began taking off the large leaves and breaking down the small buds. I have everything layed out on screens in the fridge and one in a paper bag. I wonder if I should just put all the harvest into bags? Suggestions on this...

I would like to add that anyone who is using glass jars should do there best to black them out completely. I have recently began a journey into cannabis packagaing and we all should know that light degradation is a key factor in cannabis. Our company will be using nitrogen to hermetically seal and store cannabis. With a comparative lab test between multiple packaging and storage products on the market ours showed an increase in terpenes over a 6,9, and 12 month data collection. This is a 5 year test to see all that can be gained from this type of packaging. Though it is unlikely a home grower would be able to store their harvest in this way, it would be best to take all procausions when we can. But as the commercial cannabis industry grows and cultivators take less time to cure before sending to market, our packaging will allow the consumer to purchase their cannabis as fresh as they say it was sealed and put on the shelf.

I’m hoping to see great results from the lo and slow for future harvest and to be able to share my personal experience in saving the precious terpenes that are so easily lost when monitary gain is the forefront of these businesses. It takes people with patience and a passion for the craft of creation to make things better. It is the actions of individuals that will influence the masses, not just their words.

Hi! :ciao:

Brown paper bags help regulate the exchange of moisture in a way that open air does not. The original method was glass jars with open mesh tops, but that later got modified to paper bags. Most fridges have fans that move the cold air around which may eliminate the slow part of low and slow.

I don't see the need to black out my jars as they're not sitting out in the light.

Hi! :ciao:

Brown paper bags help regulate the exchange of moisture in a way that open air does not. The original method was glass jars with open mesh tops, but that later got modified to paper bags. Most fridges have fans that move the cold air around which may eliminate the slow part of low and slow.

I don't see the need to black out my jars as they're not sitting out in the light.

Thanks for the reply, that’s what I was looking for. As for blacking out the jars, some people take the jars out of there storage locations and then they are exposed to light. There are dark jars you can purchase. All I’m saying is why not take all precautions with your cannabis

Morning Sue and Ween. So I went ahead and and followed to the instructions that most have been doing. One is that I always wash my harvest and let it dry. So after about 6 hours I began taking off the large leaves and breaking down the small buds. I have everything layed out on screens in the fridge and one in a paper bag. I wonder if I should just put all the harvest into bags? Suggestions on this...

I would like to add that anyone who is using glass jars should do there best to black them out completely. I have recently began a journey into cannabis packagaing and we all should know that light degradation is a key factor in cannabis. Our company will be using nitrogen to hermetically seal and store cannabis. With a comparative lab test between multiple packaging and storage products on the market ours showed an increase in terpenes over a 6,9, and 12 month data collection. This is a 5 year test to see all that can be gained from this type of packaging. Though it is unlikely a home grower would be able to store their harvest in this way, it would be best to take all procausions when we can. But as the commercial cannabis industry grows and cultivators take less time to cure before sending to market, our packaging will allow the consumer to purchase their cannabis as fresh as they say it was sealed and put on the shelf.

I’m hoping to see great results from the lo and slow for future harvest and to be able to share my personal experience in saving the precious terpenes that are so easily lost when monitary gain is the forefront of these businesses. It takes people with patience and a passion for the craft of creation to make things better. It is the actions of individuals that will influence the masses, not just their words.

I’m thrilled that packaging is catching up with the realities of the cannabis market. Terpenes direct the action of the cannabinoids, so it makes sense to me that we benefit from extra care in our drying and curing processes to preserve more of them.

How exciting that you’re in the marketplace yourself. Best of luck with the testing.

There’s a lot of speculation that large corporate concerns are going to rule the market, and I suppose that’s true, but I hold to the belief that the smart artisanal growers will offer a quality that won’t go unnoticed or unpurchased, but will instead draw the discriminating consumer.

Sorry you went unnoticed for so long Mag. Life.... sometimes it gets in the way. :hug: I see Shed came to the rescue with a solid response. :battingeyelashes:

I’m thrilled that packaging is catching up with the realities of the cannabis market. Terpenes direct the action of the cannabinoids, so it makes sense to me that we benefit from extra care in our drying and curing processes to preserve more of them.

How exciting that you’re in the marketplace yourself. Best of luck with the testing.

There’s a lot of speculation that large corporate concerns are going to rule the market, and I suppose that’s true, but I hold to the belief that the smart artisanal growers will offer a quality that won’t go unnoticed or unpurchased, but will instead draw the discriminating consumer.

Sorry you went unnoticed for so long Mag. Life.... sometimes it gets in the way. :hug: I see Shed came to the rescue with a solid response. :battingeyelashes:
Thank you sue and no worries on long response times, I understand, just giving a holler for someone lol. Very good point you make and we agree. We understand and have have thing that we want to implement to help the small growing community.

There are set backs and they started from the beginning of legalization and changing them now seems to be quite difficult. As we see going on in Cali. Everything is different everywhere you go. It can be such a disaster to even discuss.

I digress. I’ve done and put all my harvest in paper bags. The fridge is definitely not wanting to get beflow 76 rh and is stable @ 38 f. I only open once a day as I’ve pretty much been working 16 hours days getting these businesses up.

Thank you sue and no worries on long response times, I understand, just giving a holler for someone lol. Very good point you make and we agree. We understand and have have thing that we want to implement to help the small growing community.

There are set backs and they started from the beginning of legalization and changing them now seems to be quite difficult. As we see going on in Cali. Everything is different everywhere you go. It can be such a disaster to even discuss.

I digress. I’ve done and put all my harvest in paper bags. The fridge is definitely not wanting to get beflow 76 rh and is stable @ 38 f. I only open once a day as I’ve pretty much been working 16 hours days getting these businesses up.

If it were me I'd leave them alone and just let them dry, unless you're getting a kick out of the smells when you open. Terpenes can always be a good thing when you're working that fast and hard. I open mine at day 3 to bounce them apart, and then I do my best to stay away from them. The relative humidity'll drop in its own. It always spikes in the beginning.

I'm lazier than my posting suggests. Lol! All these process are designed to make my life easier and to keep me supplied with the best cannabis around, so I can devote my time to other canna passions. :battingeyelashes:

Back
Top Bottom