DrZiggy's Low And Slow Drying: Maximizing Your Harvest

@Hdinkleman I don’t see any mold there. I took down all the nugs off the main stalks except for the very tops, I just chopped the stem up close to the nodes so they look like one big nug, and they’ll be in the fridge one week longer than the rest of the nugs. I don’t think you need to worry about mold. Mold typically happens in the fridge with much less airflow. Tupperwares, things wrapped in plastic, etc. That’s the stuff that molds.

Just take all your buds out every four days, and let them rethermalize to room temperature, then pop em back in. It will kick start the drying process again, it takes much much longer (unnecessarily) if you don’t do this.

@Hdinkleman I don’t see any mold there. I took down all the nugs off the main stalks except for the very tops, I just chopped the stem up close to the nodes so they look like one big nug, and they’ll be in the fridge one week longer than the rest of the nugs. I don’t think you need to worry about mold. Mold typically happens in the fridge with much less airflow. Tupperwares, things wrapped in plastic, etc. That’s the stuff that molds.

Just take all your buds out every four days, and let them rethermalize to room temperature, then pop em back in. It will kick start the drying process again, it takes much much longer (unnecessarily) if you don’t do this.

thank you so much. im finishing the rest of my plant today, my fridge will be full.
i will cut up a couple of the buds in the bags when i pull them out to rotate them.

@weenmeoff

this is just one of the buds, see how the bottom of the cola is off color? its got a weird feel to it, and is lime green.
i feel like it is waterlogged?

is this bud rot?

E0391D84-F7A9-4B1B-AC67-85FA10BDB674.jpeg

ok so i have more bags today to finish the rest of my plant, this method if i can get it to work is great, i cant wait.

so now i just move the buds in the bags once a day correct?

only thing im worrried about is if the buds are too big and worried about mold.

do you guys cut all your big colas into pieces? i was trying to grow a mondter plant so i have never seen or dealt with colas this big lol

so far humidity in fridge is steady at 50% rh and 42-45F so far so good?
Looks like those lower buds just maybe weren’t as exposed to light as the darker ones. I find those at harvest time sometimes. I’d cut those off the stem....and maybe the lowest piece of the dark green. Then I’d just snip the stem just below the rest of the cola

I close my paper bags from the start. Doesn't look like mold to me but I hope others will confirm. You're well on your way to the best tasting and smelling weed you've ever had. Now we need to get you using Doc Buds High Brix Blend of soil and nutrients! I will never grow with another system. Let me know if you want more info.

:passitleft:

I close my paper bags from the start. Doesn't look like mold to me but I hope others will confirm. You're well on your way to the best tasting and smelling weed you've ever had. Now we need to get you using Doc Buds High Brix Blend of soil and nutrients! I will never grow with another system. Let me know if you want more info.

yes i do want the brix info or where to start.

im on page 27 reading through this thread, gonna be a few days till im finishied with it conpletely.

currently using CANNAs bio and normal line of nutes. i have heard they have good taste so im super exited here.

holy crap i have been trimming forever.
plant is in darkness in the tent, i have been opening the door for a few minutes to chop some branches then closing it back up hoping i get a last trich push from minimal amount of light.

some of thos bottom buds were so pushed up against the wall of the tent they probably were getting little to no light.
im assuming the yellowish crispy leaves (like iceburg lettuce) is due to no chlorryphyl????
im kind if glad you guys dont think its mold but still not getting my hopes up yet
its weird for sure

Hey Dinkle! Docs "Kit" is an all organic soil mixture that is very easy to use, as Doc says, just follow directions. It's affordable, you'll get lots of support from the gang as needed and you'll grow some of the best produce you've ever had! Don't worry about reading this entire journal, Doc Bud: High Brix Q&A With Pictures

It should be easy to find some high brix journals to see some great results but if you need I can help.

Here is his website for more info and ordering, DOC BUD's HIGH BRIX BLEND

You'll buy the kit which includes soil amendment, drenches (the food), roots powder for transplanting and foliars sprays which feed the soil.

Then you need to source locally, Pro Mix HP (preferred because it has perlite in it) or Pro Mix BX (you'll need to add perlite) 30lbs of Earth Worm Castings, a couple 30 gal totes 10 bones each at wallfart, a spray bottle capable of spraying a fine mist for the foliars.

You'll mix the soil, EWC, amendment with about 5 gallons of water (need good water, RO reverse osmosis, distilled, spring, rain BUT NOT tap water unless you let sit for a couple days and get a filter to remove chlorine and chlorimides.) I use fresh and free mountain spring water. Mix it up good and let it "cook" I.e. sit for 30 days before use. You want to store up off any concrete which will suck the warmth out of the soil, store in temps between 65-75.

Those are the basics but the detailed instructions are on Docs site which you'll want to read a couple times. There are a number of 1st time kit users absolutely crushing it with beautiful plants.

Let me know if you have any questions.

No mold. Looks like under developed bud from another bud grown into it hence the light green from no light exposure.

yes i had a bunch of flowers i cut in week 6 that looked like that on both plants.
they were all buds that were growing/touching into each other because if manifolding a compact noded plant (white rhino) each cola had weird buds on the bottom.
and the stems never really wooded up, i thought it was mold or stem rot from a couple weird weather days we had temps in the 80s and humidity in the 70s a month ago.
it was about week 6 flower

i took my dog for a walk, took a couple hits of the glue plant and think i got my mind wrapped around this low and slow concept.

1 last question.
if bigger stems make the bud dry slower, wouldnt it make sense i could hang a couple of the bigger colas with the stem attached and would that make it possible to just hang dry a few of the prize colas?

or is that just asking for mold once again?
i dont know if i have the energy to break down all the bud before tomorrow when i have to go back to work

Hey Dinkle! Docs "Kit" is an all organic soil mixture that is very easy to use, as Doc says, just follow directions. It's affordable, you'll get lots of support from the gang as needed and you'll grow some of the best produce you've ever had! Don't worry about reading this entire journal, Doc Bud: High Brix Q&A With Pictures

It should be easy to find some high brix journals to see some great results but if you need I can help.

Here is his website for more info and ordering, DOC BUD's HIGH BRIX BLEND

You'll buy the kit which includes soil amendment, drenches (the food), roots powder for transplanting and foliars sprays which feed the soil.

Then you need to source locally, Pro Mix HP (preferred because it has perlite in it) or Pro Mix BX (you'll need to add perlite) 30lbs of Earth Worm Castings, a couple 30 gal totes 10 bones each at wallfart, a spray bottle capable of spraying a fine mist for the foliars.

You'll mix the soil, EWC, amendment with about 5 gallons of water (need good water, RO reverse osmosis, distilled, spring, rain BUT NOT tap water unless you let sit for a couple days and get a filter to remove chlorine and chlorimides. I use fresh and free mountain spring water. Mix it up good and let it "cook" I.e. sit for 30 days before use. You want to store up off any concrete which will suck the warmth out of the soil in temps between 65-75.

Those are the basics but the detailed instructions are on Docs site which you'll want to read a couple times. There are a number of 1st time kit users absolutely crushing it with beautiful plants.

Let me know if you have any questions.

might be able to better pull that off outdoors, i literally dont have space for that much more stuff at the moment.
i am trying to plan an outdoor for this year still, might be more a project to let it cook this upcoming spring as its already may

Just to clarify...The big main part of the cola doesn’t have to be broken down into smaller buds necessarily. I start at the bottom of the stem and just snip off the buds right into the bags. Once I get up to where the buds are all grown real tight forming the main top, I just cut the whole top off like it’s one big bud. If you don’t want to trim the sugar leaves off you don’t have to. As the bud dries and more so when it’s cures, those little leaves will get crispy enough that many of them will just flake right off. Harvesting sucks and it does take some time. But putting in that time will usually get you a better end product.

Just to clarify...The big main part of the cola doesn’t have to be broken down into smaller buds necessarily. I start at the bottom of the stem and just snip off the buds right into the bags. Once I get up to where the buds are all grown real tight forming the main top, I just cut the whole top off like it’s one big bud. If you don’t want to trim the sugar leaves off you don’t have to. As the bud dries and more so when it’s cures, those little leaves will get crispy enough that many of them will just flake right off. Harvesting sucks and it does take some time. But putting in that time will usually get you a better end product.

thats exactly what i have been doing thanks.
i have a couple of the big colas hanging, i have to rearrange stuff, im trying to pack the fridge full lol

I gotta say, I never even put my thermo/hygrometer in my fridge. I don’t think fretting about temp and Rh is necessary as long as nothing is freezing. The low temps do enough to really slow moisture loss that rh isn’t a concern... as long as it’s not too high, and you make sure to bring the herb up to room temp twice a week or so.
I also left my food in there, no problems. Weed smells like weed, food smells like food.

Excellent advice. In the beginning we all kinda overthought @Hdinkleman. Within three cycles I’d stopped checking humidity and temp in my fridge. If it’s cold enough for my food and there’s no moisture developing, I’m good.

This process is much easier than it appears at first glance. :battingeyelashes:

I’ve left a few apical colas in one piece, but never the whole crop. Respect! :passitleft:

The idea of taking them out and airing them may work, but it’s also contraindicated when you’re intent is to preserve the maximum terpenes. I thought about that before I wrote it because I don’t want to discourage you from a practice that works for you. We all find our own way to what pleases us. :Namaste:

I did appreciate it as a way to dry those lovely colas we hate to cut up. :battingeyelashes:

This is not a criticism. :laughtwo: I love the way you HB guys believe it’s the only way to grow top quality cannabis. I’ll continue to prove you wrong when I return to growing. Lol!

Having said that, I fully support the promotion of an organic soil method that produces such quality product at a reasonable price, and no one can slight the HB brotherhood for the level of support you bring to each other. :battingeyelashes:

thats exactly what i have been doing thanks.
i have a couple of the big colas hanging, i have to rearrange stuff, im trying to pack the fridge full lol

I try to keep my buds in a range of sizes, from larf to medium-sized buds, and I do my best to get them somewhat evenly distributed throughout the bags. In other words, I try to mix the bags up. I found it helped keep the larf from drying too quickly. I make oil from my buds, so I dry everything.

We’ve learned to close the bags at the start. The paper bags pull moisture from the buds, and sometimes when your fridge is overloaded with drying cannabis it’s helpful to switch the bags out for fresh, dry ones.

I’ve only seen that become a problem when things are overcrowded and bags are smashed up against each other. Sandwich bags hold 28 grams of wet bud perfectly, and laying the bag on its side increases the surface area, helping the process along.

Magoo does his just the way I do with a bounce of the buds at day 3, and maybe at day 6. I’m lazier than he is. Lol!

After you have this first cycle behind you and see how easy it can be you’ll be more excited about the next time. :slide:

ok o i went in and closed all the bags. i dont know what they weigh i have been putting basically one cola broken down into each bag. or two smaller ones.

i have some i just washed today and will keep a small hole open for the first day and then shut them tomorrow.

i am finally on the last 8 colas i have been trimming and bud washing for at least 12 hours on my two days off, need to finish tonight.

im really hoping i can fit everyhhing in the fridge.

ok o i went in and closed all the bags. i dont know what they weigh i have been putting basically one cola broken down into each bag. or two smaller ones.

i have some i just washed today and will keep a small hole open for the first day and then shut them tomorrow.

i am finally on the last 8 colas i have been trimming and bud washing for at least 12 hours on my two days off, need to finish tonight.

im really hoping i can fit everyhhing in the fridge.
Got a pic of these plants before harvest?

So let me get this straight——

first - cut and wash the bud.

second -hang the bud for approx 3-4 hours to let dry the excess wash water

third -put them in paper bag or some sort of container inside the fridge. leave open a small hole for air exchange the first day

fourth - close the bags the next day.

fifth- every 3 days or so open the bag and rotate buds around or shake

sixth- around 10 -13 days start checking buds of different sizes for RH % inside a jar
buds <=70– go back in bags
buds =65-69 ready for jars continue to burp for a few days until RH gets to 65

buds at >=64% RH ready to be jarred and stored with weekly burping to finish curing

so essentially i know this has been said, but to summarize.
we are simply drying in the fridge, nothing special. in doing so we preserve terpenes and thc that would have been lost if hung in a higher temperature in a tent or other place.
since the fridge slows down the drying process, but at the same time prevents mold due to the low temps, it is easier for us to “catch” the bud at the correct RH% for curing WHILE PRESERVING THE TERPS lost in normal 60-70F tent hang dry.

we are able to then more effectively use a boveda pack because we can pinpoint a RH close enough in proximity to that boveda packs target humidity range of effectiveness.

that a good summary for anyone like myself new to it?
i have been thinking about this non stop for the last few days, i feel better prepared now to finish the dry.

if anything was wrong please point it out.
im also going to experment just hanging a few bigger colas with the stem attached, going to experiment a bit with it

Back
Top Bottom