DrZiggy's Low And Slow Drying: Maximizing Your Harvest

80D39B5A-2F84-4A43-A4B0-F610F65D3298.jpeg

not too much warranted stripping a cola in each bag pretty much

So let me get this straight——

first - cut and wash the bud.

second -hang the bud for approx 3-4 hours to let dry the excess wash water

third -put them in paper bag or some sort of container inside the fridge. leave open a small hole for air exchange the first day

fourth - close the bags the next day.

fifth- every 3 days or so open the bag and rotate buds around or shake

sixth- around 10 -13 days start checking buds of different sizes for RH % inside a jar
buds <=70– go back in bags
buds =65-69 ready for jars continue to burp for a few days until RH gets to 65

buds at >=64% RH ready to be jarred and stored with weekly burping to finish curing

so essentially i know this has been said, but to summarize.
we are simply drying in the fridge, nothing special. in doing so we preserve terpenes and thc that would have been lost if hung in a higher temperature in a tent or other place.
since the fridge slows down the drying process, but at the same time prevents mold due to the low temps, it is easier for us to “catch” the bud at the correct RH% for curing WHILE PRESERVING THE TERPS lost in normal 60-70F tent hang dry.

we are able to then more effectively use a boveda pack because we can pinpoint a RH close enough in proximity to that boveda packs target humidity range of effectiveness.

that a good summary for anyone like myself new to it?
i have been thinking about this non stop for the last few days, i feel better prepared now to finish the dry.

if anything was wrong please point it out.
im also going to experment just hanging a few bigger colas with the stem attached, going to experiment a bit with it
Exactly what I've been looking for :snowboating:, just to clarify, a jar with mesh over the opening works in place of a bag correct? And once you warm buds to room temp, seal and the rh is appropriate, less than 70%, I leave buds in the jar at room temp and burp until ~62%?

Exactly what I've been looking for :snowboating:, just to clarify, a jar with mesh over the opening works in place of a bag correct? And once you warm buds to room temp, seal and the rh is appropriate, less than 70%, I leave buds in the jar at room temp and burp until ~62%?

yes. its not exact science, youll get it as it goes. my buds are all curing now out of the fridgerator in jars at 60-65 % rh

you can do the mesh, or the bags or nothing at all it really depends on how well your fridge displaces humidity.

my fridge is old as hell, its not that great. i have found personally that just hanging buds works best, no paper bags no jars.

i am going to hang my next harvest in the next couple weeks, when i do i will hang the buds in my fridge by themselves, then jar them when they are dry enough. wasnt a big fan of the paper bags/jars

The test buds i did from my current plant hung in the fridge with no bags at all.

when they felt crisp to the touch i cut the buds off the main stem and put them in a jar.
next day checked rh it was at 66 % rh.

dried much better than my first attempt.
total hang time was 3 weeks.
the color and smell/taste came out exceptional, much better than my first attempt that i paper bagged/pizza boxed.

im not saying paper bags/pizza boxes doesnt work for everybody, but for my particular fridge i am going to just hang the whole colas as soon as my next crop is ready to chop.

reminds me of the cave that someone posted earlier, basically just hang drying at 34-36F

worked great, not saying the first one didnt come out good, but definitely mixing the two strains in a cannavault wasnt the best idea for me

quick question
what temp should i keep fridge at
it has a dial to adjust and currently sitting at 8c
spiked at 99% humidity in there at times but atm sitting at 94%

Low & slow worked so well last time I refilled the fridge with 6-28oz bags each of Sherbet Queen, Jack Herrer x2, Bubblegum and Gelato. That’s 30 bags in the fridge with the larger of this run, and a really big gelato still to be cut.

This is the most no nonsense, no worry method of drying ever with awesome results.

Attachments

• 149D136C-7958-4AED-B135-A5E73A484437.jpeg
    149D136C-7958-4AED-B135-A5E73A484437.jpeg
    372.2 KB · Views: 241
  • E4EDD02B-EABA-4E5F-BD7E-CCEC9155CE7A.jpeg
    E4EDD02B-EABA-4E5F-BD7E-CCEC9155CE7A.jpeg
    261.9 KB · Views: 233
What i dont understand is how you guys can even do this with the smell. I mean I have to do the entire harvest in a sealed carbon filtered room to not stink the entire street out and then the same for dry and cure until some of the smell dissipates. And that's in a 10 degree winter let alone summer
Does the smell leak out of the fridge or does the low temps cause the smell to dissipate similar to foods in the freezer/fridge?

Back
Top Bottom