Dubnation's - Indoor/Outdoor - Winter Grow Journal - 2016/2017

The roots looked great prior to placing in solo cups. They had nice white roots sticking out from bottom and sides of rockwool. The curling is just now happening so I wonder if it's bc of what's in the soil?

I just did a Epsom salt foliar spray for them. Maybe it's MG deficiency? They are curling up. Even new growth.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Happy Monday all. Hope those in the US had a good holiday weekend. I'm still hung over with turkey lol.

So after 5 days of soaking the Kelp Meal + Alfalfa Meal in water the girls were ready for a feed.

Added Coconut Water as well as Fox Farm Big Bloom and diluted with water and gave them a drink of the cocktail.

Saved some tea for foliar spray that I will use up in the next few days. Spraying all the girls, veg, clone and flower with this as I've read it's good for all stages of growth. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong please).

For the clones I top dressed with some EWC and gave them coconut water diluted 1:5 with water for their first drink in 5-6 days.

Hey there Dub ... checking in and all your ladies and girls are looking mighty fine! :thumb:

Your recipe above is great - you could leave out the Fox Farm gear... not needed IMHO with the other ingredients you're using. Thats just me being me.. and I'm cheap so that stuff is too spendy for me.

On the clones and yellowing leaves.. completely normal. Its the plant using up the nutrients stored in the leaves to build and grow roots. Plants use those fan leaves for nutrition, they store energy in them when the leaves are young, and use them up for flower building when they are mature. With clones they use up the nutrients in the fans to grow roots. When I transplant clones into soil I usually cut the lower ones off that are yellow or cut back to the green part.

On your VEG plants... 90+ days in VEG is what I consider a mother plant. They are going to stretch.. those look pretty big, you can trim them back A LOT, make clones (what mothers do) and throw em out in the garden to flower or keep them going as is, keep trimming and cloning... round and around we grow, right.

Yeah all your plants look healthy and happy ... don't worry about one or 2 leaves looking off...

Can't wait to see some big flowers! :Namaste:

Edit:

When I transplant clones and/or seedlings I use a very very light soil ... usually its soil I've had that has been used already several times so it deficient in most everything. The roots are delicate at this stage so nutrient heavy soil can/will burn the roots. That is likely what you are seeing.

Nothing I would do at this point let the soil dry out some.. not too dry but let it dry a bit and let the clone get used to the soil. They will bounce back. If they don't they are not worthy and let them go and clone some more. I put clones in a soil mix of just EWC and per-lite mix 60/40 in solo cups till they get 3-5 leaf sets then transplant into large containers with proper soil.

Win some loose some ... not worth it to nurse clones.. they make or they don't. It's hard and I'm sometimes guilty of nursing clones but I try to let that feeling go. My compost pile will love me for it and never let me down.

Thanks for checking in BB! Your advise is always appreciated. And I fed all the girls again with the Alfalfa Kelp tea with some pro tekt and Guano today. They respond so well.

No pictures today but most clones are looking really really sad. The soil I used was recycled but not well kept with some old roots still in them. I fear for root rot. Took one out of rockwool and her roots had barely entered the soil. So I kept the rest in the solo cups. Still some green growth but they are 75% yellow. Used H2O2 and water to flush them and then watered them again with pH 5.5 water with a drop of SuperThrive. Still holding hope but not too worried as I bought new soil over the weekend to try my next round of cloning in another week (I popped a White Widow seed last week and she sprouted so she's using the lights with clones for now).

I will use more EWC and per lite in the next round. I also have coco coir which I used last germination with success. I have that mixed with the soil too.

Oh wait I had pictures... too faded lol.

We had wind gusts up to 50mph a few days back and the two girls outside did well but definitely lost some stems and fan leaves.

White Russian:

420-magazine-mobile891616244.jpg

Chronic:

420-magazine-mobile779506975.jpg

New baby! White Widow (and dying clones behind her):

420-magazine-mobile810387415.jpg

Maybe clones want some more oxygen on roots?? ( sorry but I have no success with solo cups..) I use socks.

When I used SOLO cups I always cut large slits down the sides all around the cup ... didn't keep little ones in there long .. just long enough to up-pot to larger proper containers.

Sometimes clones take a while to catch on... I've had strains that I was down to my last little clone that was taking months to take off... eventually it happened and all was good. I hate when that happens. Patience with clones... be happy with surprises and celebrate.

Hi folks. Hope everyone is having a good start to the week. I really appreciate the advice. Patience is key as I've seen great growth these last couple days but still it's been about 21 days since roots showed and here they are. Yellow lower leaves dying off but the tops are growing a lot now. Top dressing with EWC and Guano while feeding SuperThrive and Silicia and Fox Farm Big Bloom. Please let me know if this is normal or should I scrap them and try again? I don't want to spend months on a underperforming clone. I want to learn and try cloning again soon.

420-magazine-mobile1187384662.jpg

Here is the White Widow. She is growing per usual. 8 days since popping:

420-magazine-mobile1403871490.jpg

Rest of girls in the long veg just waiting to be pruned for clones:

420-magazine-mobile902573404.jpg

Appreciate any feedback and suggestions.

I had what I believe to be a CalMag deficiency with the flowering girls. The supersoil was missing that as I haven't added any dolomite to my mix. So I top dressed with powder eggshells and also bought GH's CaliMagic and fed the girls. Hope they bounce back. The wind and nute def is affecting nearly every fan leaf. Too sad to even take pictures. Sigh. They are 4 weeks in flower... winter outdoor is tough. We are expecting rain soon too.

Not sure what the cal mag deficiency looks like, your plants look plenty healthy.

MAG is will not be in short supply in soil... the plants don't need much. Ca ... you can get some Gypsum (wont change PH) or Calcium carbonate (AKA Limestone powder) food grade for A LOT cheaper that the liquid stuff and is organic. A tbs in with your water will TCO any calcium deficiency ... which I don't see in the last pic there???

I would up pot the clones ... get them some fresh soil without much nutrients so the roots have room to grow. Those clones look like the ones I have that take a long while to take off... they are about ready to take off. Bigger pot bigger yield.

Here's a pic of overall late stage deficiency and wind damage tore through my girls. Most fan leaves are blown off but top cola still has them in tact.

420-magazine-mobile673893058.jpg

420-magazine-mobile75349338.jpg

Here is what I think is Cal deficiency:

420-magazine-mobile933105273.jpg

420-magazine-mobile26472073.jpg

I also fear Nitrogen deficiency too since I've changed the Guano to high P. She has lime green leaves mostly with brown edges.

I have alfalfa soaking now for next foliar spray to help.

Happy Friday! Happy to report clones are growing well. Only the White Russians survived. I'm going to try another round of Chronic once these girls are transplanted up. I didn't pick very good growth stems the first time so lesson learned.

Here we have the baby White Widow on day 14:

420-magazine-mobile837106470.jpg

This WR is growing the fastest and I'm training her now:

420-magazine-mobile1483418250.jpg

And I have a question though. After 3 tough, slow weeks for the girls they are finally growing. I'm going to transplant this weekend but was wondering with this type of training and this clone, should I prune lower growth or leave all the green so she has energy? I want to try a flux or mainline again.

Here are the other surviving clones:

420-magazine-mobile1844290343.jpg

So thus far I have:

2 flowering girls outdoors - one each of CH and WR (Day 26)

3 girls in long veg in tent - 2 CH and 1 WR (Day 120)

1 seedling - WW (Day 14)

4 clones - WR (Day 25)

My other question is mother plant strategy. Should I flip and send outdoors the 3 girls in super long veg and use their clones as mothers? Or other strategy?

Bc I'm thinking of staggering the girls so I can harvest monthly or thereabouts. And I want to try and see if I can get any cool colors from the winter temps outdoor. Thinking of germinating some GDP as I hear her colors come out really well in cold temps.

As always, much love to the 420fam. Have a great weekend!

Hope everyone had a great weekend. Can't believe Christmas is this coming weekend!

So I transplanted the best clones into 1 gal pots. Even after a month they weren't rootbound. I really have to pick better cuttings. Use Alfalfa/Kelp tea during the transplant.

The White Widow continues her baby steps and a Chronic clone is still pushing green growth even though she looks so sad. I'll keep her to observe.

420-magazine-mobile1503937683.jpg

Hope everyone had a great weekend. Can't believe Christmas is this coming weekend!

So I transplanted the best clones into 1 gal pots. Even after a month they weren't rootbound. I really have to pick better cuttings. Use Alfalfa/Kelp tea during the transplant.

The White Widow continues her baby steps and a Chronic clone is still pushing green growth even though she looks so sad. I'll keep her to observe.

420-magazine-mobile1503937683.jpg

Can't wait to watch your clones grow out Im seriously anticipating hitting the point where I can take cuttings. Just curious when you transplanted did you water in straight water or did you use a low strength of nutes?

I used an Alfalfa Meal & Kelp Meal Tea. 1:3 ratio with ph filtered water. I usually use much more ingredients for my teas but just didn't work out timing-wise.

I will be doing a coconut water next even for the seedling too.

I think these clones are ready to handle full strength nutes. They have gotta past the worst of the transplant so I'll be giving her lots of N to power up veg.

Back
Top Bottom