Dubuque Family Hopeful After Senate Passes Medical Marijuana Bill

The General

A Dubuque family is hopeful after the Iowa Senate approved a medical marijuana bill. Tim and Verona Bedtka have a daughter who suffers from seizures. They believe Cannabis Oil will help her. Right now, the Iowa House has the bill to allow oil derived from cannabis to treat seizures caused by a chronic form of epilepsy. The bill passed the Senate on Thursday. At home, in her mother's arms is the best place for 9-month-old Aby Bedtka. But so far, she's spent, 30 percent of her life inside a hospital. During a recent stay at the Mayo Clinic doctors diagnosed Aby with Mitochondrial Disease.That cell attacking disease can be fatal for most children.

Verona Bedtka said, "It breaks my heart knowing that I might not have her until she's a teenager. It breaks my heart. " And while that diagnoses explains the seizures, it doesn't control them. Verona believes cannabis oil will. When used medicinally, it's not smoked, and the T.H.C .is removed to prevent a high. Bedtka said, "Once the seizures are controlled and the pattern is off her brain, then she can start developing. Because this is her. This is how she is. " The oil would have to come from another state. Opponents to the bill argue it sends a signal that marijuana is okay. But Verona says permission to access medical marijuana is way over-due. She says her child needs immediate relief. "we're very thankful that it passed the Senate and now we just gotta keep fighting for it in the House," said Bedtka.

Aby_Bedtka_Mom.jpg

News Moderator - The General @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: Kcrg.com
Author: Katie Wiedemann
Website: Dubuque Family Hopeful After Senate Passes Medical Marijuana Bill

Back
Top Bottom