Duct reducer - Please advise

mackdaddyerb

Hi guys

I am soon setting up a tent with 6" fan, 6" CF, LED light and silencer

It will be as follows :

CF inside tent > duct > outside tent inline fan > silencer

I read a couple posts on here where people recommended using bigger duct than your fan and carbon filter to get an even quieter setup due to less pressurised airflow in the duct

So what do you think to this :

6" CF > step up to 8"(enlarger?) - 8" duct - duct reducer 8" back to 6" - 6" fan - silencer

??

Or would you just stick with 6" duct?

Also, as it is a very small setup and quiet fan, I think I am gona choose non-insulated duct rather than insulated because Although I like the benefits of insulated (less heat and noise) I (being health paranoid) hate the idea of fibreglass anywhere near my bud or lungs (potentially duct could wear down in future / break up)

What do you reckon?

Thank you for reading

I recently set up a tent with insulated ducting. It can get messy with the fibreglass when your putting it up but if it's done before the plants arrive there should be no problem. Just give it a good hoover .

What I done was sealed the inside duct to the air cooled hoods and filter and then tapped the outer layer so it sealed the fibreglass inside. The outer layer is made of a tough material so it won't wear or rip easily. I had to use a knife just to cut into it for the lengths

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I recently set up a tent with insulated ducting. It can get messy with the fibreglass when your putting it up but if it's done before the plants arrive there should be no problem. Just give it a good hoover .

What I done was sealed the inside duct to the air cooled hoods and filter and then tapped the outer layer so it sealed the fibreglass inside. The outer layer is made of a tough material so it won't wear or rip easily. I had to use a knife just to cut into it for the lengths

Thanks for the advice man. Have you used other duct before? If so, do you think the noise reduction/ heat benefits are pretty decent? I've also heard about pvc ducting, you had any experience with that?
Also, maybe a silly question but I don't know much about insulated ducting, does the outer layer contain the fibreglass or the inner? And did you have to cut the outer layer slightly shorter to expose and seal the inner layer to the filter/hood etc?
Hope that makes sense

Thanks again man

Iv used the standard and insulated ducting. I would prefer the insulated because it keeps in the heat and noise. I haven't noticed much difference with the heat but you will defo noticed an improvement with the noise level.
Itt would also depend on the fan your using. I have a 8" 1500m2 Gekko. It serious moves but It can be noisy enough. And the Gekkos were one of the quietest extractors I could find.

There are 3 layers, I have the 8" acoustic. The inside standard ducting is 8" then fibreglass then a sliver film kind of material not sure the name. Actually I'll do one better I will post a pic of mine in a sec.

The inside ducting is generally longer than the outside so when you cut a length you can pull or stretch the inside out a bit and secure it to the filter/fan/air cooled hood

I started a journal the other day and uploaded photos of the setup if you want to check it out. You'll see the ducting inside the tent. I will get a pic of the insides of the ducting so you can see how it works

420-magazine-mobile512449507.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1408553413.jpg

I started a journal the other day and uploaded photos of the setup if you want to check it out. You'll see the ducting inside the tent. I will get a pic of the insides of the ducting so you can see how it works

Nice one man you really cleared that up for me. I think I probably will go for the insulated then.. So once you cut it to the length you want it, and secured the inside layer, you just taped up and sealed the fibreglass? (with duct/foil tape I'm guessing)

Gonna check out your journal now bro!

Edit: just noticed you got the secret jardin DR240. IM going for the DS60. You think the quality is good? everything you needed?

No prob happy to help

Yep that's it. When you cut it to the length you want the outer part can be pulled back like a sleeve so you have access to the inside bit. Once that's secured then pull the outer sleeve over and tap it up so the fibreglass doesn't get out.

One thing to keep in mind though, the ducting will be about 3" bigger than the size you need. So my 8" acoustic ducting is about 10 or 11" diameter with the extra layers. So if you have a low roof or depending on where you running it from space might be an issue.

The Secret Jardin tents are great and they can be got cheap enough on eBay. Mine has everything and it's fairly study

Back
Top Bottom