Ductless A/C and new grow room

insane420

Hey....looking for feedback from anyone who has used a mini-split ductless A/C system. I am tweaking my new grow room and finding the Portable A/C is ok at best and it seems a mini split may be the way to go. I am really thinking of moving to a sealed room setup and augmenting with a Co2 Burner, but my biggest concern is controlling the heat if I go this route. Input anyone?

insane420

First Grow - Trainwreck

Second Grow - Cheese!

Re: Ductless A/C and new grow room.

Hello Insane420...

I'm looking to install a split ac / ductless ac. Could you tell me your experience with yours?

Does it dry the plants too much? Did you get a heat pump in yours also? How many BTU's are you utilizing per 1000 watt lamp?

I appreciate any feedback!

Re: Ductless A/C and new grow room.

Hello Insane420...

I'm looking to install a split ac / ductless ac. Could you tell me your experience with yours?

Does it dry the plants too much? Did you get a heat pump in yours also? How many BTU's are you utilizing per 1000 watt lamp?

I appreciate any feedback!

I went with a 12000 btu mini split from YMGI and I am running 2 600 watt hps lamps atm - it has the heat pump included. So far I am really happy with it and it doesnt drop the humidity too low. If I had to do it over, I would probably opt for the inverter technology over the rotary compressor, but for $699 it was the best investment I could make.

Only problem I could see would be the installation.
It would probably need to be installed prior to the room build due to security, plus the lights would need to be sized in also, which leads to more security issues.
My experience with mini-splits are from the installing and servicing side of the equation, not the use in the grow room.

Hi guys,

I am looking for a heat control solution for a 5x5 sealed tent with co2 injector and 2x600 watt lights. It seems that portable dual hose a/c is a good solution, IF it does not vent any of the inside air to the outside. And I cant figure out if it does that or not. Do you know?
Any feedback on the mini splits?
Thanks!

I am dealing with the same quandary right now myself.
How to effectively maintain the climate inside a sealed room.
The more people I talk to the more I am convinced that a sealed room with c02 is the optimum way to go.
My challenge is the only way for me to vent the hot air from lights and AC is up through the ceiling using 2 or more of the 6" can light cutouts that are in this particular room.

^^^ greenvertical^^^
My understanding regarding the differences between single and dual hose portable AC units is this:

Single hose vents hot air from the heat exchanger out the hose and by doing so creates a slight negative pressure within the room.

Dual hose units bring air from outside via one hose and vent the hot air through the other. Thereby eliminating the negative pressure issue.

Both of these types of AC will evacuate some of your c02 because they exhaust some of the inside air to the outside.

Dual hose, split or window is better way to cool.
Single hose AC is not the way to go, unless you want to make a DIY intake duct to separate the airflow.
An outside grow room chiller with an inside grow room radiator with fan inside seems like a nice way to go too.

I am dealing with the same quandary right now myself.
How to effectively maintain the climate inside a sealed room.
The more people I talk to the more I am convinced that a sealed room with c02 is the optimum way to go.
My challenge is the only way for me to vent the hot air from lights and AC is up through the ceiling using 2 or more of the 6" can light cutouts that are in this particular room.

^^^ greenvertical^^^
My understanding regarding the differences between single and dual hose portable AC units is this:

Single hose vents hot air from the heat exchanger out the hose and by doing so creates a slight negative pressure within the room.

Dual hose units bring air from outside via one hose and vent the hot air through the other. Thereby eliminating the negative pressure issue.

Both of these types of AC will evacuate some of your c02 because they exhaust some of the inside air to the outside.

This is what I gather too/ Although would like to take a look at the actual tech diargams or experiment with a dual hose unit, because it would seem that if it uses outside air to cool the heat exchanger hot side, it would not be venting any of the inside air???
At any rate, I am going to play around with an old air conditioner tomorrow and try to turn it into a DIY water chiller. Did some reading and math and figured that fridges are way underpowered for the job, while a $25 used 5000 btu window ac unit can easily be turned into an equivalent of a 1/2 hp water chiller. Found a thread by someone who did it successfully. Will post a link when I find it.

Dual hose, split or window is better way to cool.
Single hose AC is not the way to go, unless you want to make a DIY intake duct to separate the airflow.
An outside grow room chiller with an inside grow room radiator with fan inside seems like a nice way to go too.

Exactly what i have in mind.
A $25 ac should be possible to convert into a water chiller by simply removing the plastic cover off the fron of the unit and placing the cooling coils into the water tank below the unit. The tubing will need to be gently bent or perhaps extended somewhat.
Then a $10 heater core from an old car will make a perfect DIY ice box for inside the room.
Will go about it next week and post the results.
If anyone has tried it before, please, share the experience.
Thanks!

^^^ there is a thread on exactly that somewhere on 420....

You are talkinig about "Controlled Enviroment Agriculture" This is a good article on the specs you need as far as btu's and c02 needed per light.

Maximum Yield - Indoor Gardening

The split ac will be more effecient but needs to be wired direct to a fuse box. But i guess any ac you run should have its own circut...

I am going to make the CEA upgrade soon. I am running 4 1000w hps in a 12x12x8 room. I entend on using a 24000 btu split ac. I will be burning C02 so the slight extra will be nice.

I just got a 12,000 BTU Shinco Mini Split from 420 Girls - Creating Cannabis Awareness Since 1993 and it kicks ass. Dude also gives growers discounts. If I remember correctly his name was Mike. Try using coupon code "420off". That got me $75 off the price of the unit.

And what did the price end up being? If you would have got it from me, it would have been $829.99 Delivered!

Shinco 18 Seer Heat Pump Mini Split
9000btu: 749.99- Delivered(or Pick Up In Gardena, CA)
12,000 Btu: 829.99 Delivered (or Pick Up In Gardena, CA)
18,000 Btu: 1105.99 Delivered(or Pick Up In Gardena, CA)
24,000 Btu(13.3 Seer) -1150.99 Delivered

Use The Model Numbers As Coupons, Best Prices!

Invincible Electronics

Back
Top Bottom