Durango Trip's Deep Water Culture/Northern Lights,Master Kush, AK-47 Combo Grow

Durango Trip

Greetings to all, and thank you for checking out my grow. This is my 1st attempt at an indoor grow using "Deep Water Culture". a big thanks to Roseman and the rest of the Deep Water Culture for their great instructions.

I will be growing in a Jardin DR 120 tent with a combo of lights. For my veg cycle, I will be using 8, 4' T-5 florescent light fixture and will remove it and bud with a 600W HPS. My plants will be 2 Northern Lights, 1 Master Kush and 1 AK-47.

For veg. cycle, I will run lights for 24 hours and am using Foxfarm nutes on their regular schedule, as well as adding Cal-Mag and molasses.

I really don't have any expectations as to what my yield will be, but as always, hope for the best. My tent has been staying around 70-75*F with ventilation and while I plan on adding CO2, do not currently have it.

Due to my work schedule, I will try my best to answer any questions, even if it takes days (or even weeks). It will be hard enough for me just to keep us this journal, but feel it is the best way for me to reference something I may have done earlier.

I hope this turns out to be a very nice holiday present!:tokin:
IMG_20100808_161556.jpg

IMG_20100808_161620.jpg
The babies.
IMG_20100808_161641.jpg
Skunk #1
IMG_20100808_161654.jpg
Skunk #2
IMG_20100808_161708.jpg
AK-47
IMG_20100808_161746.jpg
Master Kush

So sit back, twist up a big blunt and enjoy the ride!:thanks:

Nice looking setup my friend! Only advice I can give, is get those feeder tubes below the lid. Light is the enemy and can cause algea to form. You want the feeder tube to be placed at the base of your Rapid Rooter. I'll be watching if you have any questions.

nice looking set up, sounds like you did your homework, the only advice i can add is cover for pots this will block the light from getting to hydron and starter cube which prevent alge, i used fox farm nutes on my grow and like the out come. did you get the full line up including the soulbles? i am subed and watching:popcorn:

Nice looking setup my friend! Only advice I can give, is get those feeder tubes below the lid. Light is the enemy and can cause algea to form. You want the feeder tube to be placed at the base of your Rapid Rooter. I'll be watching if you have any questions.

Hi, and thanks for the tip. I will do that when I change my nutes this weekend. In the meantime, I did have a few minutes this morning and wrapped the tubes with electrical tape.

nice looking set up, sounds like you did your homework, the only advice i can add is cover for pots this will block the light from getting to hydron and starter cube which prevent alge, i used fox farm nutes on my grow and like the out come. did you get the full line up including the soulbles? i am subed and watching:popcorn:

This is what I love about this forum, there are always unknown friends offering great tips and suggestions.

I had thought that the hydroton would be enough of a protective layer, but my motto is you can never take too many precautions. I'll have to hit the hardware store tonight and find something....maybe even as simple as disposable plastic bowls.

This is what I love about this forum, there are always unknown friends offering great tips and suggestions.

I had thought that the hydroton would be enough of a protective layer, but my motto is you can never take too many precautions. I'll have to hit the hardware store tonight and find something....maybe even as simple as disposable plastic bowls.

what most use is foam bowls or plates easy to cut

Durango , Nice clean tent lets see it in a couple of months !! Be full of nice smelly green plants , great start Durago . :peace:

I have a question about humidity with Deep Water Culture.

I live in Southwest Colorado, and even during the rainy season, the humidity level is very low. On average, if it gets much above about 20%, that is considered high.

Since I run my vent fan 24 hours a day, I don't see how I could get it much higher.

Does growing with Deep Water Culture allow my to have a lower level in my room, since I have a 10gal.+ res.? Or should I add a cool mist humidifier and put my fan on a timer?

Or should I add a cool mist humidifier and put my fan on a timer?

i would say yes to hum question during the veg cycle and your good to go with 20% during bloom

I'm in. Fellow Coloradoan!

I'm dealing with the same conditions as you. Although I am west of the Front Range, but still East of where you are...

Right now I have my airwands, and hydroton bubbling in ph balanced water, and it's bumped the humidity in the room from 30% to 40%. (no reason whatsoever other than I am waiting for seeds to sprout and to see the effectiveness of the airwands)

I also have my grow in my master bedroom walk in closet which also houses the hot water heater. So that helps with humidity somewhat.

Good Luck to you and I can't wait to follow along with this grow!

Well, I guess I am stuck with having to settle with a max humitity of 30%. I have tried several things during the last week, in hopes of getting it higher, but nothing has worked.

The way I see it is the only way I can raise the RH is to put the fan on a timer. I am currently running a 270CFM in line fan. I switched it out for a 35CFM fan I made from an old computer fan, but it didn't help holding the humidity in the tent. The only thing I can think of to keep it higher is to add CO2 and put the fan on a timer.

What do others think?

I have some new pics, but probably won't get them posted until tomorrow.

Soaked towels in water hanging over a 5 gallon bucket? Also roll up face cloths soaked in water and stick them on your res in between the plants. Water bowls everywhere. That should help. Maybe even a cool mist humidifier??

That's all the suggestions I got. RH here is only 39%. My grow is between 45 and 50%. But I have those bubble wands bubbling in 5 gallon buckets in there as well...

I finally have a sprout in my garden :)

Well, I guess I am stuck with having to settle with a max humitity of 30%. I have tried several things during the last week, in hopes of getting it higher, but nothing has worked.

The way I see it is the only way I can raise the RH is to put the fan on a timer. I am currently running a 270CFM in line fan. I switched it out for a 35CFM fan I made from an old computer fan, but it didn't help holding the humidity in the tent. The only thing I can think of to keep it higher is to add CO2 and put the fan on a timer.

What do others think?

I have some new pics, but probably won't get them posted until tomorrow.

I used to buy this stuff from camping stores. it is silica based and you can buy it in bulk. It is used to remove the humidity from the gun vaults. It is something I used. They are non toxic and you can put them in the corners of the grow room.

I used to buy this stuff from camping stores. it is silica based and you can buy it in bulk. It is used to remove the humidity from the gun vaults. It is something I used. They are non toxic and you can put them in the corners of the grow room.

Isn't that stuff used to remove humidity? I need to raise mine, not lower it.

I tried the towels thing, have 4 large bath towels soaked in each corner of tent, but with the air changing approx 3 times a minute, there's no hope without CO2 and timers I think.

What kind of lighting are you using? You might be able to get away with spraying/misting the plants with a spray bottle to bump up the humidity. I have 2 5 gallon buckets bubbling in the room along with the hot water heater. So I think I am pretty lucky to get 45% or better. If you are using HID then that might not be an option because of raising and lowering of the light when you add water to the leaves, even a mist will burn the tops under intense light.

Do you have any 5 gallon, or even 1 gallon milk jugs with the tops cut off? You fill them with water, it will add some humidity by evaporation into the tent. You might have to add a few of them. Once you get to flower, the low humidity will help increase the trichs, but right now, you want lots of humidity for the leaves and stems to grow.

Hope this helps!

What kind of lighting are you using? You might be able to get away with spraying/misting the plants with a spray bottle to bump up the humidity. I have 2 5 gallon buckets bubbling in the room along with the hot water heater. So I think I am pretty lucky to get 45% or better. If you are using HID then that might not be an option because of raising and lowering of the light when you add water to the leaves, even a mist will burn the tops under intense light.

Do you have any 5 gallon, or even 1 gallon milk jugs with the tops cut off? You fill them with water, it will add some humidity by evaporation into the tent. You might have to add a few of them. Once you get to flower, the low humidity will help increase the trichs, but right now, you want lots of humidity for the leaves and stems to grow.

Hope this helps!

I'm currently using 8, 4' T-5's for vegging. I will be using a 600HPS for budding.

I tried using pots of water my last grow. I didn't notice any big change in RH, and all that did was create a source for alge growth in the pots. Even when misting, you can't even tell it was done after an hour, and the RH never changed(I have a min/max RH guage).

The good thing is that all the girls seem to be handling it OK. I just think that adding a humidifier would be a waste of money, unless I time my vent fan.

Back
Top Bottom