Dusted’s Traditional Hydroponic Grows

I checked the seeds this morning. Two of the Strawberry Banana had nice long fuzzy tap roots. The third has about 1 cm tap root but still has the seed casing. I planted all three. The Cream Caramel had popped but the root is tiny. The Monster Zkittlez, nothing. I put those two back in the cupboard until tomorrow. I’m thinking of dropping a couple more seeds just in case. I will have another coffee and see if anything in my seed bag Interests me.

Trying to remember where I’ve seen strawberry banana. Is that dna?
Canuk knockoff.

I threw on a couple of free White Widow fem, also from Canuk, in case I don’t get four healthy seedlings out of the existing ones.

Canuk knockoff.

I threw on a couple of free White Widow fem, also from Canuk, in case I don’t get four healthy seedlings out of the existing ones.
Nothing wrong with knockoffs I have em too. :passitleft:

that’s the smart thing to do to make sure you get the number you want.

You have just guaranteed the first beans will all be viable. By starting more. That's how it works for me anyways.
I sure hope so. More seedlings are always better.

The three I planted are all doing well. I covered the small one with paper towel and directed a water stream onto it to try and keep it wet. If the seed casing dries it is tough to get it off.

I couldn't use the long support wires Budget supplied to hang the light since they didn't give me enough height. Thankfully I have lots of carabiners from other lights. It is a bit of a pain to get all the corners even, but I put a level on the light which makes it easier.

I haven't looked at the seeds I put back into the dark since light destroys the germination hormones, so I won't look until tomorrow. If the are still sickly, there will be two more chances the day after with the White Widow. Shouldn't put them too far behind the ones that are in.

Started stripping the hanging branches into a 3 gal jar. Had to vacuum seal half a pound of Eleven Roses that was still in the big jar first. Got one closet done but the downstairs branches are still a bit too wet. I don't want to chance them molding since I know there are bud rot spores on some buds.

Looking good, dusted! You finally get to play with the new light! Have you got it dimmed back a little to start?
At a meter above the seedlings I started at 50%, but just turned it up a bit because the seedlings are stretching a bit much.

I got the mods to change this thread’s title, so this is now a perpetual journal. Lack of continuity between grows was bugging me, with a new journal every four months. I will give another overview/summary of the system tomorrow hopefully with new seedlings.

The Cream Caramel had a nice long fuzzy root this morning so it got planted. The breeder is Sweet Seeds. Looks like Oldsmokey was right about the seedlings. Just watch I will have two beautiful WW seedlings tomorrow as well. I’m not sure what’s up with Monster Zkittlez. It wants to grow, but no root.

I made up an approximately 40% citric acid solution to feed the root microbiome. I inject a couple of mL into the pump suction daily. I have been adding the hydrated spores every 4-5 days to kill off the fungus fly nymphs and degrade the dead rootlets.

I use REMO nutrients for a few reasons. They are Canadian. They don’t use ammonium salts except in the kelp suspension. I have found that ammonium salts cause the pH of my nutrients to drop, which is a real pain to correct. They also use a much lower P ratio than most other nutrient suppliers which I was looking for as well. I have switched to sulphuric acid instead of phosphoric to keep the P down. As previously mentioned I also boost the Mg content of my tap water from 15 to 50 mg/L. Ca should be OK at 160. I doubt I will need the nutrient chiller now that I have the LED but I will set it to 22 C and see what happens.

At a meter above the seedlings I started at 50%, but just turned it up a bit because the seedlings are stretching a bit much.

Right on, won’t be long until they’ll be asking for 100%

I also find myself looking at REMO’s stuff every time I’m in for nutes, never have I ever pulled the trigger on them though.
Looking forward to this next run of yours!

I finished putting buds in the jar today. I did end up throwing several of the fattest cola's away since they were moldy in the middle. I hope I didn't end up with too many moldy buds in the cure jar. Fairly typical yield. I don't have a scale large enough to weigh the buds but it looks like about a pound. The jar on the left is 3 gal and on the right 1 gal.

I checked the White Widow seeds this morning. Both had popped but aren't big enough for planting, so two more days in the dark. The Cream Caramel is settling right in. Helmet head is going to be a problem though. They really get held back when they retain the seed casing.

Have you tried wetting it and trying to remove with something like a toothpick?
I will give it a day or two to get the roots attached to the media and the stem to stretch a bit more. I have some ultra fine tweezers I had to buy in University for an Electron Microscopy course, that come in handy for stuff like that. Gotta grab the stem then gently try to get the casing off. WW in the cupboard in reserve.

I don’t think helmet head is going to survive. I got the casing off last night but took a leaf with it. The root had hardly extended. It is greening up but I don’t have high hopes. One of the WW seedlings had a nice root and I got the casing off while still wet, so it is planted beside helmet head. The other WW only had a tiny root so I stuck it under the stream of water in the reserve pot. Don’t know why I had such trouble getting these seeds germinated. I wonder if it is due to the seeds being freebies and sitting around for too long. I have germinated 20 year old seeds though. The germination rate goes down but they still pop. The other variables are the paper towels and the water. I guess I could use deionized water instead of tap water.

I hadn’t planned on replacing the nutrients for a while yet but the inoculant I added yesterday caused a microbial bloom in the system. The dead organic material from last grow must finally be rotting. Thankfully I have a hose system for emptying and filling.

Back
Top Bottom