Dusted’s Traditional Hydroponic Grows

Dusted

This time it will be THC Bomb, their signature strain. I put 5 seeds into my germination system last night. They are usually ready to go after 3 days so this is a bit premature. Maybe they will all die. I don't usually do summer grows but I enjoy growing so much I had to have something going. Hopefully it won't get too hot in the grow room when we finally get some warm temperatures.

I run a 5 pot traditional hydroponic system (40 yrs old). 15 litre pails suspended in 20 litre pails connected at the bottom for nutrient drainage and supply. I pump out of the reservoir, into the chiller, then through the drain line to the end of the system where the line is plugged. In the base of each drainage bucket I take 2 feeds off the main line for each upper bucket. Total working volume is about 50 litres. You don't want that much water on your floor in case of a leak, so I use a king size waterbed liner as a containment system.

I have 1000 W hps/mh and 600 W hps/mh lamps at the ceiling with reflectors, where I pretty much keep them.

I used the Remo nutrient line, according to their feed schedule, for the last grow, and was pleased. The do have a problem with fungus growing in their bloom products though. I doubt it has any harmful effects but visually it sucks. Nutrient temperature is kept at 23 C with the chiller, otherwise it would hit 27 - 28 C, which reduces the oxygen content of the nutrient solution and allows plant pathogens to grow.

I use a living hydroponic grow media. 15 litres of clay pellets is a lot of surface area for bacteria and fungus to colonize. Once the rootlets get going there are even more places to grow. There is also of course all the dead organic material from previous grows, even though I remove the big chunks. On a regular basis I add hydrated bacterial and fungal spores to the grow media. I am blending Great White and GH Subculture B since they each have a slightly different mixture of spores. I feed them with a soluble carbon source on a daily basis. Presently I'm using malt vinegar but a citric acid solution or molasses will also work.

Hopefully I won't have to abandon this journal. I will let you know in a couple of days.

Bombs away! I'm in @Dusted I've been playing hydro in the kiddie pool looking forward to watching a real grow from the start! CHeers mate, gl! :yahoo:

Bombs away! I'm in @Dusted I've been playing hydro in the kiddie pool looking forward to watching a real grow from the start! CHeers mate, gl! :yahoo:
Welcome Pb. I couldn't wait for the seeds we won from The Vault. Delivery to the Colonies is variable and I had an empty grow room and it needed filling. I wonder what the secret seeds will be? I looked on the website and see some interesting stuff from them. Thanks for watching

I checked the seeds after 3 days only to find the paper towel I used was growing things. The roll had been open and forgotten in the back of a cupboard and I thought nothing of it. The seeds had all germinated but the roots were not big enough, so I put them back in the dark for 12 more hours. Check the next morning and no progress. They had all frozen. Put them into the rocks under a stream of nutrient and hoped for the best. One of the seeds did drop deep into the rocks. I can see it but can’t get up to the surface. Oh well it should grow up. After planting I decided to keep the seedlings in the dark to try and unfreeze them. It worked. I turned on the lights today and they seem to all be growing. I’ll get some photos when they get a bit bigger.

Three of the seedlings still have the casing attached to the first leaves and it is so tempting to try and remove them, but I know from experience that all you do is pull the seedling out of the rocks. Trying to feed a wet wiggly root back into the rocks is a pain. I will wait a bit more and hope they pop open by themselves.

I did have to pull the casing off a couple of the little girls but no mishaps. They all seem to be doing well. This stage of the grow is pretty boring since most of the growth is happening in the root zone. Unlike plants put into small containers till they are root bound, the roots on these have virtually no limit on how big they grow, so they spend three weeks putting out roots.

Still waiting on the free seeds from The Vault. I'm looking forward to seeing what the secret seeds are.

I just got invited into the new Seedsman comparison grow. I guess the next grow on the list will be Peyote Zkittlez and Peyote Forum. They sound delicious. Too many strains, too little time.

Things are progressing as usual. One set of new leaves, no seedling stretch and lots of hidden root growth. I don't change out the nutrients for at least three weeks since the plants don't use a lot at this point. Still haven't started up the circulation fan since there are no leaves touching yet. RH runs about 40% here in the summer but I make no adjustments. They would like it higher but too bad for them. I will start foliar feeding a kelp suspension once the leaves get a bit larger which will help with the RH for a bit.

Nice setup, I wish I had done more research before I made mine. I'm learning so I will follow along.

I see you have 2 top feeds, what I did with my 1 feed is I attached a short piece of airline tubing and drilled holes along the bottom and sent that 1 round around the pot letting the solution bail out at the end. The holes around the perimeter feed the plant all the way around. I pull them off for cleaning when changing the res.

My pots are shallow and sitting quite high up to start with so I'm planing on switching to bags and coco after my current run.
Do you run your nute solution 24/7?

Nice setup, I wish I had done more research before I made mine. I'm learning so I will follow along.

I see you have 2 top feeds, what I did with my 1 feed is I attached a short piece of airline tubing and drilled holes along the bottom and sent that 1 round around the pot letting the solution bail out at the end. The holes around the perimeter feed the plant all the way around. I pull them off for cleaning when changing the res.

My pots are shallow and sitting quite high up to start with so I'm planing on switching to bags and coco after my current run.
Do you run your nute solution 24/7?
I run a fairly large amount of nutrient continuously since I want the chiller to work efficiently and I have non adsorbant media. There is a thin film of nutrient over a large surface area of rock.

If you are running a recirculating system be careful about getting the rocks next to the stem wet on a continuous basis. This can cause stem rot, which is really depressing.

3 weeks

Good news and bad news. No Peyote Zkittlez for me. Seedsman has been bad and the grow is canceled. Got the new seeds from The Vault though. The secret seeds are from Green House Seed Company and called Bubba Slush. A cross between Bubba Kush and Gelato. Sounds interesting. Also a bunch of auto's and various other feminized photoperiods.

My plants are small for their age but they are starting to put out leaves now that the roots are established. The upper growth will accelerate in the next few weeks. The leaves are also a bit twisted because I have tin foil under the plants covering the wet areas and hot spots developed on the leaves. If I don't cover the drip area from light, algae starts to grow and spread over the rocks. Had to start up the circulation fan because of the heat build up in the room. There is only so much convection currents can correct.

4 weeks

Lots of leaf growth in the last week. I turned the MH up to 1000 W. The HPS is still at 450 W. Another week or two till flip. Two phenotypes it looks like. Four of the plants look the same but the other one is more spindly with narrower, longer leaves.

Back
Top Bottom