DutchDude's First Grow - 05/2011 - Jiffy - Hempy - SCROG - 250W MH - 4 Strains

do u have a pocket microscope? if so what do the tricks look like....color?

I have taken three sugar leaves of each plant and put them under the USB microscope. now all nine are showing about 5% amber, and the rest are milky. Since we want to stay as much on the cerebral side instead of the couch-lock one - I though it would be appropriate to harvest. Any other opinions?

I have taken three sugar leaves of each plant and put them under the USB microscope. now all nine are showing about 5% amber, and the rest are milky. Since we want to stay as much on the cerebral side instead of the couch-lock one - I though it would be appropriate to harvest. Any other opinions?

Hey Dutch,

Seems to me it is the time to harvest, to achieve the effect you are looking for. Have fun!

Ganja Who

well, of course, i let mine go a little longer, but, yeah, i agree w/ganja. for the effect u're looking for, they're prolly ready to harvest. good luck & we'll be waiting on dry weights & a smoke report. btw, that's a really nice grow.

Hey Dutch,

Seems to me it is the time to harvest, to achieve the effect you are looking for. Have fun!

Ganja Who

well, of course, i let mine go a little longer, but, yeah, i agree w/ganja. for the effect u're looking for, they're prolly ready to harvest. good luck & we'll be waiting on dry weights & a smoke report. btw, that's a really nice grow.

Thanks guys. The last little look in the microscope this morning had the amber at about 10% throughout, some that were closest to the ligth a little more maybe 35%

First cut report! This morning started with a last splash of ph-ed water with some vanilla extract, an hour before cutting. No idea what it is good for, but can't hurt, right? The girls had spend about 40 hours in the dark and when I opened the door, it was a lot of fun to see the different, fall like, colors on the plants. Yellow, a lot of purple, orange, different shades of green, etc.

The we spend way too much time cutting - wow, that is a job and a half. I don't know if we are just slow, inexperienced, snipping too close, or what - but it took both of us three hours for the first (Emerald Jack), two and a half hours for the second (Grapefruit Kush) and two hours for the third one (Jock Horror).

The EJ was truly a sativa. Longer, thinner branches, smaller buds. We thought it was kinda a pain to cut because of the number of small buds, but very sticky, even the stems. The total WET weight was 429 grams, trimmed with minimal stems.

The GK smelled nicer, and had thicker and denser colas. The leaves had gotten this really nice purple in it, that also showed on the buds. Lots of orange hair that plugs up your scissors. The total WET weight was 434 grams, trimmed with minimal stem.

Then the JH - by far the most fun to cut. Larger colas, the densest buds, the leaves were easy to find and cut. This also produced the biggest cola - pictures tomorrow. The smell while trimming was also the most pleasant like citrus. Also, the stems were dry, so not sticky, while the sugar leaves were the stickiest of all of three. Even when cut, they were determined to stay with the flower. The total weight was the least of them all, but we didn't care. Total WET weight was 331 grams, trimmed and minimal stem.

So, total WET weight of the day was: 1194 grams (over a kilo :) ) Now we will have to see what will be left of it after it dries and cures. Pictures will be tomorrow.

it should dry out at 6-10oz's...very respectable! don't forget to make hash out of the trimmings...don't wanna' waste anything.

The overview of the plants right before cutting. Some really nice color:

IMG_048212.JPG

From the Emerald Jack:

IMG_04837.JPG

Another Emerald Jack pic:

IMG_048411.JPG

The largest nug on the Emerald Jack:

IMG_048514.JPG

Trimming the EJ

IMG_048611.JPG

All of the EJ in the bowl to be weight:

IMG_048710.JPG

Total WET weight of the Emerald Jack after tare for the bowl:

IMG_048912.JPG

just had to let you know how much i enjoyed this read. i'm a total noob just doing my homework before setting up my first closet grow, i read this because your setup for this one is really close to what i had in mind. i'd like to use a 400w, but in my space i have no access to the outside and will have to vent into another indoor space (actually the other half of the long skinny closet i'm using...) so i'm worried about getting enough ventalation, so i'm leaning towards a 250w. seeing your success with it is good to see.

great grow, great grow journal. kudos.

NDERGROUND said:
just had to let you know how much i enjoyed this read. i'm a total noob just doing my homework before setting up my first closet grow, i read this because your setup for this one is really close to what i had in mind. i'd like to use a 400w, but in my space i have no access to the outside and will have to vent into another indoor space (actually the other half of the long skinny closet i'm using...) so i'm worried about getting enough ventalation, so i'm leaning towards a 250w. seeing your success with it is good to see.

I have a 400w setup that's 2X4X60. I enjoyed reading this thread. NDERGROUND, use 400w and vent to the attic. I am using half of a closet with no access to the outside. I use the attic and get temperatures about 82^ with light on. The room temp is around 78^.

u can't cut holes in 100yr old wood & if caught u'll be evicted. i'd get a grow tent & give u're plants ideal grow conditions. u can also easily relocate if needed. i was just looking at some & the price has come down. u might check htgsupply.com

If I were to give you any advise. . . it depends on your yield expectations. If you want to squeeze out every gram out of the space that you have, then obviously the higher wattage will help out. If it were me, then I would be happier with a tiny bit less, and not have the headache of the added heat. You are already going to be struggling to draw air, and vent (and keep smell down.

Back
Top Bottom