Update

Well hello everyone! I meant to get this update on here last night but I fell asleep early and forgot. I’ll have 2 updates today though to make up for it.

So first on the agenda is the Maple Cookies regs. There was 2 left waiting to show sex but one did yesterday! Another confirmed female. She will get a transplant today into a 1gal to continue veg. It’s hard to spot but the first few pistils are emerging!

Next up is the continued training of the qaudlines. This will be split between this and the next update later today. This first portion will show the continued tying of branches and the update later on will go over “Select Defoliation”!

So as the quadlined plants grow and get bigger there will come a point where you will have to tie down the inner branches that have begun to take the lead. These are the 4 inner growth tips. When they get to the length of being able to be tied down it’s important to do that to allow light down to our lower growth tips!
This is where I am at now with my Group 3 Phenos.

After the training you can see the lower nodes are all opened and exposed to the light now! This will help them take off and catch up with the rest of the canopy.

Along with all this training and tying there is some selective defoliation that needs to take place! This I will go over later on with more photos and details. I will also have an update on the Pheno Group 4 seedlings as well as the transplant of Maple Cookies!

I’ve got a few other things to go over but I’ll get them later in todays next update!

Hope you all have a great start to your day and Stay Medicated!

I was wondering if we should tie down the other branches that come up on the 3erd and 4th node branches, Now I know tie them down too. Thanks Dutch

Ziet er super helder uit, super schoon.

And you can take that to the bank.

I was wondering if we should tie down the other branches that come up on the 3erd and 4th node branches, Now I know tie them down too. Thanks Dutch
Indeed you do! The selective defoliation is important as well which I’ll be going over in this evenings update!

Ziet er super helder uit, super schoon.

And you can take that to the bank.
Thanks Baron! I try to run as clean a setup as possible:cool:

Well I hate to say my Mentor Duggan says to not try quadlining with this grow he says I have enough going on already but this coming spring I will quadline my plants I grow in my greenhouse. Maybe I can sneak and do the 4th and 3erd branches with a quadline. I don't want to be a bad student though so I will ask him before I do anything. Even if I cant do it till this coming spring This tutorial will be a BIG Help Thanks Dutch

Nice update Dutch and nice pictures! Really shows the quadline training makes it look simple great job as always.
Thanks N420! Appreciate the kind words!

Well I hate to say my Mentor Duggan says to not try quadlining with this grow he says I have enough going on already but this coming spring I will quadline my plants I grow in my greenhouse. Maybe I can sneak and do the 4th and 3erd branches with a quadline. I don't want to be a bad student though so I will ask him before I do anything. Even if I cant do it till this coming spring This tutorial will be a BIG Help Thanks Dutch
@Duggan is a good teacher so I would agree! Keeping it simple is always a good rule to stand by! Once you get a feel for the plants then you can start implementing training techniques. Keep at it PC!

Update
Nov.8

What’s the word everyone! Hope your all well and having a great day so far. As promised I’ve got some more quadline tips to go over as well as a visit to the seedlings!

Starting with the seedlings! These little ones are now on Day-11 which puts them into their first week of Veg! They have begun to grow rapidly and all are looking strong and healthy. Some awesome genetics so far from IHG!

This is a little comparison to show how much they have grown in 3 days! They are loving this @BudgetLED 120W Kit!

Now let’s talk about selective defoliation and why it’s beneficial in Quadline training. There are a few branches and fan leaves that need to be removed to keep everything open and exposed to light as well as allow good airflow through the canopy. Using my Critical+2.0 as an example again the first part of the defoliation is the blocking fan leaves. I believe I’ve mentioned this before but for this update I’ll say it again! The fan leaves growing into the Center of the plant must be removed to open up the lower nodes like this:
As the quadline plants grow out there will be new foliage that you will have to maintain this process with to keep it all opened up.

The next step is the removal of the bottom nodes along the main 4 branches. Again as the plants grow this will have to be repeated to maintain good airflow and canopy structure. This bottom node is good to remove to open the inner canopy up a bit.
Removing these nodes like this:

Will also send all energy to the growth tips above it allowing them to grow faster and stronger.

Now let’s take a look at the 4x4!

These ladies have almost covered the floor now so over the next week-10days they will be going vertical without any disruptions! I’ll defoliate along the way but thats it!

I want to touch base on this quickly now but will talk more about it tomorrow. I’ve got my hands on some CO2 which I’ll be adding to the flower tent tomorrow. Im hoping to see some explosive growth and some impressive results with the addition.

There are certain levels of CO2 that are very beneficial for our plants which can increase yields, productivity, resin production and plant health! But this is a topic for tomorrow’s update!

I hope you all have a fantastic evening and stay heavily medicated!

Great growth Dutch!

On the quad, I'd leave the fans attached to the bottom growth tips to create more photosynthesis, considering how much foliage has already been taken at this stage. You can always take them off as you get more leaf growth above it.
Thanks Shed!
I agree for sure and leaving them on is 100% and option but so far for me I’ve found that those lower fan leaves tend to be almost touching dirt with the heavy training so I like to remove. It hasn’t slowed my growth at all so it’s just a part of the process I do! If it was an auto I would minimize my foliage removal to the bare minimum though to allow maximum growth and photosynthesis!

Jeez Dutch, do you just sit by the plants 24/7 waiting for the exact second the pistils show themselves? The plants are looking great. Thanks for including so much useful information/educational material in your journal, very good read through. :thumb:
Maybe..... lol! No but I do tend to my garden daily and it’s just a part of my thorough daily inspections! I look at all my plants leaves and soil each day to ensure my garden health! I’m really glad your enjoying the journal so far. Lots more to come along the journey ahead so I hope you can get some more information as well.
Cheers brother

Excellent stuff Dutch. I will try doing a quad one day. Does it matter which nodes are used for the first cut? I was just interested to know why you wait for the plant to grow as much as it does before the training begins. Cheers buddy
:passitleft:

Excellent stuff Dutch. I will try doing a quad one day. Does it matter which nodes are used for the first cut? I was just interested to know why you wait for the plant to grow as much as it does before the training begins. Cheers buddy
:passitleft:
Typically top above node 4 and remove nodes 1-2. I’ve seen a few use nodes 4-5 and nodes 2-3 but I stick with nodes3 and 4 because by that stage in the plants life it’s mature enough and has good foliage to recover from the initial topping and node stripping. Waiting just allows the plant to grow stronger.
Hope your well my brother

Wow Dutch, that 4x4 looks great. Nice training.
:high-five:
Thanks Bobby! It’s a work in progress and really coming along

Highya Dutchie,

Such a beautiful job with the 4X4 quads. Mesmerizing! Cheers

Back
Top Bottom