Rosin Curing

Hey everyone!

So recently I’ve been playing around with curing my rosin for different terpene profiles and textures. I’ve found that with a cure of the rosin it really brings out the terpene and flower profile a lot more and makes for an even more enjoyable experience.

I’ve come to find I like “budder” or “crumble” as my favourite consistency for my rosin as well as having a stronger terpene profile. Some strains just won’t budder for you and that’s very strain dependant! Although most strains will budder when done correctly and produce some incredible rosin!

So first we have to find out what category our rosin falls into...

Fast Curing – This rosin usually cures within an hour or two, making this type a challenge to shape and handle since it is likely to have the immediate texture of “budder” on the press while being squashed. This type requires a faster handling method to obtain different end results like sugar or wax.
Like my Critical+2.0

Medium Curing – This is where most strains fall. Unless the rosin gets excessively heated while being handled, this rosin is pliable and can be handled without any residual rosin sticking to gloves/parchment making it easier to jar and begin the “whipping” / “agitation”
Like my sappy BadAzz Kush

Slow Curing – Typically found in strains that are low in terpenes or have terpenes with a sappy consistency. Slower curing rosin makes it difficult to handle. Flowers with a low terpene profile and most CBD strains fall into this category, the cannabinoid to terpene ratio isn’t sufficient. CBD strains with a high ratio of terpenes to cannabinoids tends to be sappy while low-terpene rosin tends to be shatter-like.

I want to test this with my 20:1 CBD flower and see what I can do!

Now a little about the curing methods!

Ive only tried 1 of the 2 methods I’ve found and researched but have had great results. I plan to try the second method soon to compare and find out which I like better and I’ll be sure to share the results.

“Air Cure”
Air curing is the easiest curing method for your rosin and can be done with minimal efforts! Simply press your rosin and collect off the parchment. Place into a 5mL or 7mL GLASS container right away. I can’t stress the GLASS enough it’s much better than the silicone storage containers and works magnificently for BOTH methods of curing!
Next step is to “whip” or ”agitate” the rosin in the jar for about a minute until it looks like it’s well mixed together. Then place in your refrigerator for 1hr with the lid off. This introduces oxygen to the rosin as it begins to enter the “cure”. After the hour is up remove from fridge and place the lid onto the container and keep it sealed tight for 24+hrs. After this time is up you can check on your rosin and it should have buddered up by now. If it hasn’t it could be one of those strains that just won’t budder!
Leave in your glass jar and enjoy as you would normally!

“Jar Tech”
Heat Curing

Jar tech is the next method of curing Ive Done my research on and I’m going to try very soon! This method requires a bit more patience and some added equipment.
First we want to press out our rosin *LEAVE PLATES TURNED ON* and collect into GLASS jars. Once the rosin is in the jar place the lid on securely and leave it on the plates set to 145-165°F. It usually takes around the 45 minute mark for the rosin in the jar to “muffin up” at which time the temperature should be dropped down between 98°F and 108°F and left then alone for anywhere from 6 – 15 hrs.

Again I havnt tried this method yet but I will be soon! This is just the information of ive gathered and put together here for easier references and for anyone interested in trying the methods out!

To wrap this up here is a video of my Pink Kush flower rosin all cured up and ready for the dab rig!

Stay Medicated

Hi ya Dutch...just found your thread; so while I'll go back and read it all in order, just wanted to jump ahead and tell you how kick ass this spot is. While I've been growing for decades, a recent short stint working in a dispensary turned me on to all the concentrate products. I am really keen to make them all myself.

Fast forward and now I am pulling 5,000 hemp plants out of the ground to make a few sheckels to buy a rosin machine! 2020 promises to be one hell of a year, and your thread will help me get there in style, so thank you! Planning on reading
Grandpa's thread as well, most excellent....

Hi ya Dutch...just found your thread; so while I'll go back and read it all in order, just wanted to jump ahead and tell you how kick ass this spot is. While I've been growing for decades, a recent short stint working in a dispensary turned me on to all the concentrate products. I am really keen to make them all myself.

Fast forward and now I am pulling 5,000 hemp plants out of the ground to make a few sheckels to buy a rosin machine! 2020 promises to be one hell of a year, and your thread will help me get there in style, so thank you! Planning on reading
Grandpa's thread as well, most excellent....
Hey Shawnee! Glad you found a nice place to relax and soak up some info! If there’s anything I can help with along the way please let me know! Looking forward to seeing some of your rosin pressing in the near future

The rosin room was Working overtime today!

Screenshot_1.jpg

Howdy! I'm familiar with your curing techniques that you posted earlier, thank you for that! I'm curious what you did exactly to get the consistency to make your rosin "rope"?

I had thoughts about curing hash in that shape exactly but this is the first I've seen it with rosin.

Screenshot_1.jpg

Howdy! I'm familiar with your curing techniques that you posted earlier, thank you for that! I'm curious what you did exactly to get the consistency to make your rosin "rope"?

I had thoughts about curing hash in that shape exactly but this is the first I've seen it with rosin.
Hey Brian! The rosin rope was made by “pulling” my rosin and agitating. This was done with a more stable rosin that you are able to pick up and play with - Fast Curing*

It enables you to pick it up, play with it, pull, stretch and form it into many shapes! This is a technique used when you want to form rosin “coins” as well! I’ll post a tutorial on how to do it later today if you like !

It enables you to pick it up, play with it, pull, stretch and form it into many shapes! I’ll post a tutorial on how to do it later today if you like !

Yes I would LOVE to learn about that! I would use your techniques with my own squishing once my first grow completes.

Hey Brian! The rosin rope was made by “pulling” my rosin and agitating. This was done with a more stable rosin that you are able to pick up and play with - Fast Curing*

It enables you to pick it up, play with it, pull, stretch and form it into many shapes! This is a technique used when you want to form rosin “coins” as well! I’ll post a tutorial on how to do it later today if you like !

Im in!

I realize that different strains, temps, pressures, curing techniques and other variables determine rosin consistency. As my previous post eluded to, I'm very attracted to rosin that can be handled.

From looking at other extraction technologies, it seems the more waxes, fats and lipids (WFL) that are removed the LESS malleable the final product becomes, like shatter for example.

Will adding a small percent of WFL to rosin make it more easily handled?

In other words, take the winterized and filtered left over WFL from an ethanol wash and mix it in to your freshly squeezed rosin... just a small percent of course.

Since WFL content varies anyway from squeeze to squeeze, strain to strain, etc., it shouldn't hurt right? Couldn't the WFL content be the largest contributing factor in getting Dutchman's "Fast Curing" results?

You know I'll be testing this, just wanted to hear first impressions of the theory. :)

I realize that different strains, temps, pressures, curing techniques and other variables determine rosin consistency. As my previous post eluded to, I'm very attracted to rosin that can be handled.

From looking at other extraction technologies, it seems the more waxes, fats and lipids (WFL) that are removed the LESS malleable the final product becomes, like shatter for example.

Will adding a small percent of WFL to rosin make it more easily handled?

In other words, take the winterized and filtered left over WFL from an ethanol wash and mix it in to your freshly squeezed rosin... just a small percent of course.

Since WFL content varies anyway from squeeze to squeeze, strain to strain, etc., it shouldn't hurt right? Couldn't the WFL content be the largest contributing factor in getting Dutchman's "Fast Curing" results?

You know I'll be testing this, just wanted to hear first impressions of the theory. :)
I Personally wouldn’t add anything to my rosin bags prior to pressing. If you added WFL from an ethanol wash then it’s no longer a solventless product which is why rosin is so famous!
Starting marterial is the NUMBER 1 factor then, temps and pressures which will determine your end results with the press.

Fast/Medium/Slow curing rosin is 100% strain dependant only! It’s not a factor that is added in to make it that way. You can adjust and alter the outcome of said rosins with heat/cold curing and processing further to get separation and crashing out of the natural terpenes.

I’ll have the tutorial up this evening as I have a few big squishes to do! Pictures to come!

I Personally wouldn’t add anything to my rosin bags prior to pressing.

Neither would I. I was suggesting it be added to the rosin, not the flower. I'll let you know my results on how increasing fats, etc. change the rosin consistency :) Thanks for the update, will be waiting!

Yes sir, still uhhh Kickin! and still figuring things out. You know me, I asked about testing cause I want solid facts but right now I would be willing to work with an educated guess based upon experience. I am not in the position to test right now either. But if there are no known answers, I may arrange something from afar.

I’ve thought a lot about sending some to get tested, but I haven’t made the effort. I’d like to know the exact composition myself. I will look into it further though.

I'll be able to provide some answers in this respect. I just received the Cannalytics Analysis Kit. I can do cannabinoid profiles and potency tests with it. The tests i want to run for one strain are:
  • Flower potency
  • Flower cannabinoid profile
  • Rosin yield
  • Rosin potency
  • Rosin cannabinoid profile
  • Spent puck potency

Back
Top Bottom