DWC Clone

Fantomlimb

Hello all, I recently got a clone from a friend that was in rockwool. By the time I got it the roots had started poking through the bottom of the rockwool. I transferred it into a 5 gallon DWC bucket with hydroton surrounding the RW and filled water 3/4 inches above the bottom of the net pot. The water is a light veg solution about 100 PPM. I’ve been top feeding water from the res through the RW and hydroton. The clone has slowly been getting droopier and I have no idea if I’m overwatering or under. I’m reading differing things about water level and top feeding. Some say to have the water level just below the RW, some say bottom of net pot. Can anyone help me?!

Attachments

• 85F30B30-FA48-453A-B97B-70E1EE088A1C.jpeg
    85F30B30-FA48-453A-B97B-70E1EE088A1C.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 95
Also, my buddy got a clone at the same time only he transferred to soil. Here is what his looks like.

Attachments

• CF737415-A822-47CA-AF33-606356F978B6.jpeg
    CF737415-A822-47CA-AF33-606356F978B6.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 78
Hey Fantomlimb,

Welcome to the forums at 420, I don’t grow hydro style but we have plenty of experienced folks here who do. Someone will drop in soon.... think you need an inch of air gap between roots & water - yes ph & ppm matters significantly to hydro. The soil grown plant now has its roots hooked up whereas yours is not hooked up yet.

Anyway one of these fine hydro growers here at 420 will get you sorted

Make sure the rockwool hasn't become soaked.
What PH are you feeding at?
How do I know if it’s soaked? It’s definitely moist. My PH is 5.8 I added PH’d water to the res to bring the water level closer to the RW block to see if it helps

Hey Fantomlimb,

Welcome to the forums at 420, I don’t grow hydro style but we have plenty of experienced folks here who do. Someone will drop in soon.... think you need an inch of air gap between roots & water - yes ph & ppm matters significantly to hydro. The soil grown plant now has its roots hooked up whereas yours is not hooked up yet.

Anyway one of these fine hydro growers here at 420 will get you sorted
Thanks! This is my first clone in DWC and only my second plant I’ve grown. My other one was grown from seed in an Aerogarden till it outgrew the light and I switched it under a new one. I recently transferred it out of the AeroGarden due to the root ball becoming too big for the res and it’s doing amazing. I’m just having trouble with the clone. The roots were poking out of the rock wool when I transplanted it but I have no idea how much they’ve grown since. Here is my other plant flowering away right now.

Attachments

• 3EF16E85-B775-49FF-A57B-3716BBD06FB8.jpeg
    3EF16E85-B775-49FF-A57B-3716BBD06FB8.jpeg
    833.8 KB · Views: 78
Hey Fantom,

Like I said I don’t grow hydro so I’m not much help here. Oh yeah, but just hang out with Rexer and more folks will jump in soon to get you sorted.

I think they will want to know how many times per day are you top watering & any other particulars.

Any new post that you create here can be changed or edited for 420 minutes.... but after that no more edits, but you can always add a new entry. After 50 new posts then you can PM or private message anyone.

This would be the perfect time to start a journal. Down in my signature line is a link to my journal check out the first paragraph of Visialize Whirrled Peas. Put all your unique grow details in first paragraph (tent or grow space size, lights, fans, what strain, soil mix or hydro setup, nutes) anything about your setup helps and it only takes about 10 or 15 minutes. If possible take natural light photos not blurple pics. Here’s link to start your own journal. >>> How to make a grow journal <<. All hyperlinks on 420 will appear as green text.

Last, if you get your plants roots hooked up and issues sorted out then your plant has the potential to grow faster than your buddies plant in soil! That should get you motivated!

Hope this helps and best of luck to ya!

How do I know if it’s soaked? It’s definitely moist. My PH is 5.8 I added PH’d water to the res to bring the water level closer to the RW block to see if it helps
You want your roots to seek the water, when top watering hydroton do it in circles. 1st small around, but not enough to wet the rockwool. Progressively increase size of circles till roots can drink on own without top watering. Rockwool retains moisture extremely well, and can lead to issue. I avoid using it, but when I do, I make sure there's an inch between top of water in net cup and rockwool. The roots can and will reach for a drink.

Here is a handy chart - refer to it constantly (imo).
C62E28B0-CCEB-4E4A-BC84-A47103ECEC8B.jpeg.jpg

Hello all, I recently got a clone from a friend that was in rockwool. By the time I got it the roots had started poking through the bottom of the rockwool. I transferred it into a 5 gallon DWC bucket with hydroton surrounding the RW and filled water 3/4 inches above the bottom of the net pot. The water is a light veg solution about 100 PPM. I’ve been top feeding water from the res through the RW and hydroton. The clone has slowly been getting droopier and I have no idea if I’m overwatering or under. I’m reading differing things about water level and top feeding. Some say to have the water level just below the RW, some say bottom of net pot. Can anyone help me?!

whoa she is drowning!!!! Your water level should be two inches BELOW the net pot ..with air bubbles of mist hitting it ..please ...GO SAVE YOUR GIRL.

Hey Fantom,

Like I said I don’t grow hydro so I’m not much help here. Oh yeah, but just hang out with Rexer and more folks will jump in soon to get you sorted.

I think they will want to know how many times per day are you top watering & any other particulars.

Any new post that you create here can be changed or edited for 420 minutes.... but after that no more edits, but you can always add a new entry. After 50 new posts then you can PM or private message anyone.

This would be the perfect time to start a journal. Down in my signature line is a link to my journal check out the first paragraph of Visialize Whirrled Peas. Put all your unique grow details in first paragraph (tent or grow space size, lights, fans, what strain, soil mix or hydro setup, nutes) anything about your setup helps and it only takes about 10 or 15 minutes. If possible take natural light photos not blurple pics. Here’s link to start your own journal. >>> How to make a grow journal <<. All hyperlinks on 420 will appear as green text.

Last, if you get your plants roots hooked up and issues sorted out then your plant has the potential to grow faster than your buddies plant in soil! That should get you motivated!

Hope this helps and best of luck to ya!

013 might not run hydro but is a solid and experienced grower.

whoa she is drowning!!!! Your water level should be two inches BELOW the net pot ..with air bubbles of mist hitting it ..please ...GO SAVE YOUR GIRL.

Ahh 2 inches, I apologize, I moved away from using rockwool and thought it was 1 inch. Personally I hate rockwool, good catch.

See this is where the confusion hits. The rock wool is not sitting on the bottom of the pot. It’s about two inches from the bottom and the roots are not much deeper. I’ve seen people say the rock wool should be an inch above water and your saying an inch below the pot.

See this is where the confusion hits. The rock wool is not sitting on the bottom of the pot. It’s about two inches from the bottom and the roots are not much deeper. I’ve seen people say the rock wool should be an inch above water and your saying an inch below the pot.
The water Should be, not the rockwool.

Thanks for that Rexer! You guys are awesome.

Great catch Northern Hydro!

See Fantom, it only took NH about a 1/2 second to jump on that....

yeah me and the hydro are much less than stellar

Bah hydro is much simpler at its basics. Stick to a one part feed to start (MC, lucas grows, etc). Every plant I've tried in soil my whole life died (veggies). Switched to hydro a few years ago and now i grow my medicine and veggies year round in hydro.

The water Should be, not the rockwool.

Bah hydro is much simpler at its basics. Stick to a one part feed to start (MC, lucas grows, etc). Every plant I've tried in soil my whole life died (veggies). Switched to hydro a few years ago and now i grow my medicine and veggies year round in hydro.
Sorry I meant I heard the water should be one inch below rock wool. The rock wool isn’t sitting on the pots bottom so it was an inch or two above the water line.

Ok so I’m doing a full res change. Here is the rock wool, it’s pretty wet. It was surrounded by pellets except the top and was a few inches from the bottom of the pot with clay pebbles below it.

Attachments

• D8DFAAF8-0D4A-4EDD-AB44-379ED354B30A.jpeg
    D8DFAAF8-0D4A-4EDD-AB44-379ED354B30A.jpeg
    666.9 KB · Views: 83
Yeah so make sure you net pot is barely getting splashed with air bubbles when you re-pot her
Clay, more clay, dry if you got it , then your clone then more clay if you can
That wool needs to be dry and the roots need to seek food/water

Back
Top Bottom