DWC - First Time Need Help

greenit420

if i have white buckets should i paint them black to block light from gettign in and casue alge to grow,? my set up is just with air stones i have no lines dripiing on the pots, i just keep getting problem on the roots and clean them once week but they keep getting alge or somethiing on them, i tried h202 and hydrozyme( guy from grow shop recomeded) but nether have fixed the issue just slowed it down and the guy at the grow shop doesnt know much about growign is what he told me so i dotn want to aks him for help any more':tokin:

you can paint them or use foil around them,,, i've used a orange "homer" bucket from home depot with no problems,, just make sure you have plenty of bubbles, the best thing i ever did was get a really GOOD air pump,,, i paid $95 for it but wow,,, what a difference..

You need to block out the light - Yes. From top and the sides. Make sure your medium is covered and not letting light in along with covering the bucket. Tape might work, since painting can be a pain. I use Black buckets.

Do not use h2o2 with hydrozyme. The h2o2 can kill the hydrozyme. Pick one or the other, i'd run hydrozyme myself, as h2o2 screwed with other stuff i've sued (i think).

ok cool thanks for info, with your black buckets does it casue the water temps to go up higher, yea the grow shop guy doesn tseem like he knows much he todl me to use both the product together, , with your grow did you ever have problem with the roots gettign the alge or slime, also do i want my net pots to be in the water , righ now i woudl say they are under 1 in,

yea i got a $45 pump has 4 oulets but i was thinkign of gettign another one and have 2 air stones in each bucket to get more air

Really need more information on your grow.
Try this:
How to Ask for Grow Support

If you have growth in the bucket, the first thought that comes up is what is the temp of the water?

No light allowed inside the bucket. Do what ever you need to cover it up. Paint, tape, or I use reflective bubble wrap.

Prairie

Use black buckets or put reflective tape around them. NO LIGHT LEAKS. Check your roots. Is there maggots crawling around on them? If so, use a product called AZAMAX for a week. If its just "slime" use the hygrozyme at the prescribed amount and you should have no slime issues whatsoever. If your plant and roots are messed up too bad you may have to run plain pH water for a week and then go back to nutes/hygrozyme or Sensizym (I use Sensizym for ALL my DWC or soil grows and have had 0 problems) I use Sensizym and 3/4 strength nutes and get amazing results.

right now i got 2 buckets gowing there are no bugs problems at this tiem just the roots are slimey i tried to wash them of spraying water on them didnt work to well, but i will got in today and clean them out was going to do just the plan ph water with the h202, but yea say the hydrozym is better i woudl go with that, and i will try to upload some pics later or maybe tomarow, need to cahrge camera

ok cool thanks for info, with your black buckets does it casue the water temps to go up higher, yea the grow shop guy doesn tseem like he knows much he todl me to use both the product together, , with your grow did you ever have problem with the roots gettign the alge or slime, also do i want my net pots to be in the water , righ now i woudl say they are under 1 in,

Are you saying the netpots are 1 in in the water? No air gap? How long are your roots? What is your water temp?

Water temp should be 65, and not more the 70 from what i have found to work best.
You need an air gap between your net pot and the water line. The plants will drink through the roots, you don't want to drown them or get root rot.
Hope that helps.

Are you saying the netpots are 1 in in the water? No air gap? How long are your roots? What is your water temp?

Water temp should be 65, and not more the 70 from what i have found to work best.
You need an air gap between your net pot and the water line. The plants will drink through the roots, you don't want to drown them or get root rot.
Hope that helps.

yea they were 1 " under but i moved them so there is little more than 1" gap now, the roots are not well i got some pics ill post today, and my water temps are high at 80 iv got small fans blowiing on the buckets but not helping much any other ways to lower them i read not to use ice becaseu tis bad for the roots any input for gettign the temps down would be good and thanks., i uploaded 13 photos but it not letting me post them it says they are in que i will get on later tonight adn see fi it will let me then

3-27-11_019.JPG
3-27-11_018.JPG
3-27-11_017.JPG
3-27-11_016.JPG
3-27-11_015.JPG
3-27-11_014.JPG
3-27-11_013.JPG
3-27-11_012.JPG
3-27-11_005.JPG
3-27-11_004.JPG
3-27-11_003.JPG
3-27-11_002.JPG
3-27-11_001.JPG

so these are chedderwurst seeds started early feb at same time i had 4 total but 2 died form same problems, the samller plant is the one with the balack all on teh roots, and the biger one hase the green slime on them today i clean out buckets and put tehm botth into just plain ph water and put h202 with it, the smaller oine just seems to not be grownin at all tho and i think it was gettign nute burn on the lower leaves

Yikes. Things are lookin rough. Good call on the plain Ph'd water with h2o2. You can wash off the roots a bit to get the slime off. I would do a high h202 wash on the roots in a small container to try to clean those up, meaning like a few tablespoons on a smaller bucket for about an hour then back into the PH'd water with the lower h2o2 in it. Check it daily, and change out as needed.

The air gap is perfect. Those roots are a bit small, so you need to keep an eye on the plant to be sure it get enough water. running a bit of water over the top through the rockwool a few times a day can help if that is an issue, the air gap will also help the plants force the roots down to the water.

For the heat issue, check where the air pump is, and make sure it's not pumping hot air into the water. Another thing to use is frozen water bottles. I know it's not a great idea to have ice bottles in the root zone, but neither is boiling the roots. I had setup a way for my buckets to fit in a larger container that I would keep full of frozen bottles, and insulated the top. It worked great, and kept the bottles out of the rez. If you can't get the water temp down, it will not run well.

EDIT: Once you have the temps down, and the roots get a couple days of cleanup, you should see a good amount of root growth. Once you see the new root growth, you can stop the h2o2 and use a zymes to help. Once your at that point the plants will want food. Low dose of food.

Just had a thought: If you add towels/rags on top of the bucket, on the black part, that might help to shade the bucket from the hot lights. Once the plants are large, they create thier own shade for the buckets.

yea the big one had lots more roots week ago but most fell off, i will get a second bucket goign then with the high h202 and see what that does for them, and i have the air pump hanging so i will drop that down to, and i was thinkg of trying the frozen water bottle i just didnt know if it would be bad or not , i bought some styrafoam plates to put over teh tops i think that should work, and would you say the small one is just stressd and thats why its not as big as the other one

greenit420- cover your grow medium with thin foil, or cover the whole top of the pot w/tin foil. When you feed it do you dump the existing water and clean the bucket? Every 10 days to 2 weeks I pull my plant, set it in an empty 5 gal bucket and clean the bucket it sits in with minimal bleach and dish soap. I then Fill a 5 gallon bucket with room temp water, PH the water to 6 and add the nutrients. I fill my grow bucket until the water line is 1 inch below the "nettie pot", place my plant and air stone back in the bucket I just cleaned and pour another remaining 1/4 quart of water w/nute on top so the rock wool absorbs some water and nutes as well. Do you consistantly have a fan rotating, that might help also.

greenit420- cover your grow medium with thin foil, or cover the whole top of the pot w/tin foil. When you feed it do you dump the existing water and clean the bucket? Every 10 days to 2 weeks I pull my plant, set it in an empty 5 gal bucket and clean the bucket it sits in with minimal bleach and dish soap. I then Fill a 5 gallon bucket with room temp water, PH the water to 6 and add the nutrients. I fill my grow bucket until the water line is 1 inch below the "nettie pot", place my plant and air stone back in the bucket I just cleaned and pour another remaining 1/4 quart of water w/nute on top so the rock wool absorbs some water and nutes as well. Do you consistantly have a fan rotating, that might help also.

i just got covers over the buckets after i took the pics, well i have been cleaning it once a week to try and get rid of the stuff on the roots, and i get the extar bucket thing going to when i clean them, all the fans i have in there just sit still,

yea so the roots on the small plant hav grown new oen and is startign to look health i clean both bucket out and just put plane water phd and h202 the big plants roots are still green, im gettign a new camera tomarow so i will try and get some pics up, still ahvnt got anything se tup to lower the watet temps yet goign to try this weeknd

yea so the roots on the small plant hav grown new oen and is startign to look health i clean both bucket out and just put plane water phd and h202 the big plants roots are still green, im gettign a new camera tomarow so i will try and get some pics up, still ahvnt got anything se tup to lower the watet temps yet goign to try this weeknd

Would you mind re-posting this with better spelling and some punctuation? Please consider you are asking for help. It is easier to help, when we don't have to correct spelling and lazy writing to understand what you are asking. Make it easier for us to give the help you are asking for.

Give us some respect and we'll give you some help.

Thank you,
Prairie

Back
Top Bottom