DWC Grow, What Is This?

greenit420

iv got 2 grows right now having issues with this one im not sure what wrong but the plant look healthy and fine when i checked the res it looks like somone busted a nut in there can any one tell whast this stuff is is white and soft gooey kind of, its on the roots and air stones ,im growing in storage tub with just 2 air stones, ph level fine ppm low only have the plant on some clonex feeding solution low dose and small light i think 400watt butt heres the pics should i be worried about this stuff
grow_00711.JPG
grow_00613.JPG
grow_00514.JPG
grow_00420.JPG
grow_00322.JPG
grow_00225.JPG
grow_00128.JPG

What is your res temp?
I would do a res change, straight ro water with 5-10 ml per gal. of H202 (3%) Ph it to 6.
run that for a day or 2.
Don't let your res temp get over 70.
see what happens then and get them back on track with the feeding.

Also is your pump still in the res and running?

i lost my thermometor so nto sure the temps right now, the pump is just sitting in the res has not been runnig for while, but this weeknd i will do a res change and the plane water and h202, but do u know what the stuff is,

When you start getting slime, You have root rot setting in. This is usually caused by having the res temp to high. When I got it, after I got it figured out, I still had problems with keeping my res temp down below 70 and used H202 5 ml. per gallon the rest of the grow and was putting ice bottles up side the res.
There are other products for root rot, but I never used any. main thing I have found is that you have to get the res temp down.

When you start getting slime, You have root rot setting in. This is usually caused by having the res temp to high. When I got it, after I got it figured out, I still had problems with keeping my res temp down below 70 and used H202 5 ml. per gallon the rest of the grow and was putting ice bottles up side the res.
There are other products for root rot, but I never used any. main thing I have found is that you have to get the res temp down.

I would agree. Every time I didn't, problems. Also, every time I didn't know what the temp was, once I was able to, it was off. One of the times it was too cold, below 60.

Temps are a big thing in hydro.
Prairie

Yeap, when I first started out, ran into this problem and sent advance nutes and email askin the the best temp for the res is. They emailed me back this.

Reservoir temperature should be kept between 66-68 F (19-20 C) as this will prevent bacterial and fungal growth and prevent root rot from taking hold.

Got to start keeping an eye on it now, summer's coming. I love winter grows. lol

yea just wasnt sure if was root rot iv only seen the root rot be green and brown, im gonna get a thermometor tomarow, but i did the res clean and h202,i throw some ice bottles in there

would straight Ice packs work? (n00b i know). Im looking to start my DWC grow within a couple weeks and just trying to get a handle on potential problems. Seems alot of people have issues with their res temps and a chiller is out of my range atm ($200+). Ive seen people with chilled blankets, a larger res with ice water surrounding their main res, and of course the frozen bottles. Thanks!!

would straight Ice packs work? (n00b i know). Im looking to start my DWC grow within a couple weeks and just trying to get a handle on potential problems. Seems alot of people have issues with their res temps and a chiller is out of my range atm ($200+). Ive seen people with chilled blankets, a larger res with ice water surrounding their main res, and of course the frozen bottles. Thanks!!

The problem I see with frozen bottles is if they touch the roots, they could kill them. Now if your res is separate from the roots, then not a problem. The other problem I have with ice is you have to keep it up, and I don't have the time.

Prairie

hey greenit- i've found that warm rez temp AND light are factors in slime. i use subculture B, a beneficial bacteria that not only prevents slime but the trichoderma will also eat any bad fungi and bacteria. i'm not a big fan on h2o2 because it can burn and damage the roots even further

my method last grow was a wk h202 treatment, which i refresh h202 every 3 days. Followed by subcultures b & M along with hygrozyme. I also had some slime problems in my aerogarden cause they run the water pump to much. I am doing a flood tray now with 4 15min feedings per day. might increase to 1 more feeding during full bloom. Do you cycle your top feed on and off ? for how long if so ?

Whats your personal preference for a cool res?

The one basement links to below are a good start to see what can be done. If I was running water cooled lights, that is the way I'd go.

I made one from a mini dorm fridge. The water pump to the distributor goes through the fridge around the freezing coil. The water goes through fairly fast so it doesn't cool off a lot, but enough. The fridge doesn't run much to keep one tub at 65F.

This summer I'm planning on extending it in to the flower closet and cooling another two tubs.

Total cost was around $100. The expansion will cost maybe another $50.

Prairie

yea the iced bottles suck to change out every day i think im just going to try and finish this grow then go back to my ebb system, if i had more space i would try a chiller but just dont have the room

high temps will only lead to root rot or pyrethrim wilt also with high temp there is not enough dissolved o2 for the root structure. maybe try adding 1 gal of cold water or trays of ice ?? yea the bottles are a pain but if you use 2 liter bottle maybe one for lights off and 2 for lights on ?? if not then keep eye on it and if it gets worse switch from hydro to a pot, they wont survive, and your yeilds will not be as good IMHO

Wow. That stuff looks like snot. That's terrible. One time I found little maggots crawling around in my roots. That was a hell of a shock. I tell you what though, lower those temps and add some SensiZym or Hygrozime and you should be fine. I swear by that stuff. Little more expensive than H202 but it won't totally sterilize your root zone and it will give you the same result. Pearly white, healthy roots. I've grown a bunch of cycles with DWC, trust me. Just go easy on the SensiZym if you get it. A little bit goes a long way.

Ya, im worried about my small space getting to hot this summer, o well, time will tell =/

check out my other thread i made a square top out of styrofoam and it helpd lower my res temp to 68 and below with a cheak humidifyer i put ce adn water in once a day, and as for these plant i have change them to soil because they were nto getting any better

Back
Top Bottom