DWC in a bottle: recycling nutrient containers

Rich 3033

Hi everyone. I thought to share a way i have been recycling nutrient containers into dwc pots. They are hdpe resistant plastic which is perfect for a container. I have so far used 5L bottles and 20L drums. It's super cheap and easy to do.

What's perfect about the 5L bottle is that a 40mm mesh pot for hydro fits exactly into the opening. So all you need to do is drill a hole for an airline. (and black out the container with spray paint or black tape ect). I use tiny air stones with a 220L/hr air pump. I forced the airline into the pot until the end of it moved to the opening where i could grab it, and attach the airstone.

They are great as a starter pot or do what I did and transplant into a bigger nutrient container. Them ionic bloom drums are excellent for this. I had to cut the hole slightly smaller and fine trim with a sharp knife to get an exact fit. It's wedged into the bigger one. Near the top of the 5L bottles there's a lip which rests against the other drum, i siliconed this joint to stop any bugs getting in.

Also i drilled into the cap to install a tap/grommet. And on the side i installed a water level/grommet. This system holds 20L of nutrient solution.

So I'm just putting it out here, how to build a dwc system for pennies, and recycle your bottles at the same time.

If anyone wants further explanation just ask.

Back
Top Bottom