DWC netpot medium

How big is that net pot mate? It looks fekin huge lol.
The width doesn't really make much difference as the plant grows straight down anyway. only needs to be about 4 inches wide, unless you're a super hero ;)
but the depth is important.

Fuck me that was hard not to get side tracked with double en tendres .

Anyway bud, We generally use net pots that hold less than a cup of coffee. (Yes I know that doesn't make sense but you know what I mean. Just pretend I froze the coffee so it wouldn't run through it :) )

Gotta keep the base of the plant out of the water or it will most likely turn to mush.
Trust me, ive had it a few times from various experiments and mistakes before I figured it out.
It's referred to as "damping off" but that covers a few other things too. Well a few different scenarios anyway. Im not so good at explaining it, I only really know of jt what I've dealt with.
Im not a dwc grower but I do growNFT which is the exact opposite.
You grow in water with air, I grow in air with water. Same results and same rules to follow. All hydro methods are basically the same thing and work the same way. Just a different delivery method.
It's a bit like shooting the same dude with 6 different guns. Easiest way to explain it lol.
How big is that net pot mate? It looks fekin huge lol.
The width doesn't really make much difference as the plant grows straight down anyway. only needs to be about 4 inches wide, unless you're a super hero ;)
but the depth is important.

Fuck me that was hard not to get side tracked with double en tendres .

Anyway bud, We generally use net pots that hold less than a cup of coffee. (Yes I know that doesn't make sense but you know what I mean. Just pretend I froze the coffee so it wouldn't run through it :) )

Gotta keep the base of the plant out of the water or it will most likely turn to mush.
Trust me, ive had it a few times from various experiments and mistakes before I figured it out.
It's referred to as "damping off" but that covers a few other things too. Well a few different scenarios anyway. Im not so good at explaining it, I only really know of jt what I've dealt with.
Im not a dwc grower but I do growNFT which is the exact opposite.
You grow in water with air, I grow in air with water. Same results and same rules to follow. All hydro methods are basically the same thing and work the same way. Just a different delivery method.
It's a bit like shooting the same dude with 6 different guns. Easiest way to explain it lol.

The pump seems ok. Im hoping Ill get a bunch of roots to hold that little pearlite in. I just couldn't find hydroton in time I want to get this started, or killed.

I started over using DWC and I am using perlite as the medium for my net pot. I'll start a journal after the grow is completed I think. Some people here use crushed bricks soaked in ph 5.5 water for 2 weeks here.

Pretty much anything will work, as long as it doesn't affect the plant/roots. In the end, it's just a support mechanism to keep the bottom of the stem/trunk out of the nutrient solution, anyway. And a medium that won't fall through the holes in the net pots, or blow away when the fan(s) in the grow space blow in that direction. That's probably why the vast majority of people use an expanded clay product. It's cheap, it does the job, it doesn't blow away in a breeze, it's neutral as far as the plants are concerned, et cetera. What's not to like, lol?

Some people try to use other stuff - because they're bored, I suppose, or maybe because $39 for a multi-year supply of medium isn't cheap enough in their eyes. But when the plant growing in it is going to produce anywhere from half an ounce or so all the way up to a pound or more, lol, it seems silly (to me) to want to spend half a cent per plant on medium instead of a nickel. And if you're bored, pick up a good book, or go outside and experience life for a bit.

So far Im doing ok with the pearlite. My bigest issue I've ran into is small peices faling into the resavoir, I just picked the peices out and put them back on top. After roots filled in that stopped.
If I try dwc again I'll probably try and run hydroton or a mix with some biger pearlite than what I used this time. Im running almost a microgrow just 1 netpot.

I haven't looked at the top of the netpot for a little while I'll try to get some better pictures of it. I've had it covered hoping to have less algee or stuff growing on it. My clear airlines seem to be more of a problem. I'll change that next time too.

That'd be another reason to use an expanded clay product. I never had algae growth on any of mine. Of course, I didn't set the cup down into the nutrient solution, lol, so it wasn't wet. I just hand watered for the few days or so that it took for the plant to extend a root tip down into the solution - at which point, the race was on, lol, and roots grew down into it.

If you had some mechanism to hold the plant up, you wouldn't even need a net pot full of medium.

That'd be another reason to use an expanded clay product. I never had algae growth on any of mine. Of course, I didn't set the cup down into the nutrient solution, lol, so it wasn't wet. I just hand watered for the few days or so that it took for the plant to extend a root tip down into the solution - at which point, the race was on, lol, and roots grew down into it.

If you had some mechanism to hold the plant up, you wouldn't even need a net pot full of medium.

i bet someone could come up with something to get rid of the net pot and medium in dwc, like some rubber pieces that go around the trunk and will expand as it gets wider, leaving the roots suspended in the bucket.

Undoubtedly so. There's probably not much in the way of real-world benefit, though. You can grow a pretty fair-sized "tree" using a big reservoir and nothing more than a red Solo cup that you've made as many holes (1/4" are great, but smaller should be fine) as possible in the side/bottom of and then dropped a handful of clay balls into. Or... so a little birdie once told me ;) .

For a long time, I didn't order my indoor gardening supplies off of the Internet, and the "local" store was a three-hour drive or so away, so I learned to improvise. That's actually how I got into DWC originally. I saw a way-overpriced (IMHO) General Hydroponics product and thought, "That's just a container with a cup in the lid and a pump, it should cost around $20."

i bet someone could come up with something to get rid of the net pot and medium in dwc, like some rubber pieces that go around the trunk and will expand as it gets wider, leaving the roots suspended in the bucket.

Like cutting pieces of a pool noodle? I read/saw video of someone doing that instead of net pots. Seemed to work, but it was with smaller plants IIRC.

Hi another substrate that I found that works great is putting clones in peat moss rapid rooters and then surrounding the rooter with aquarium gravel pebbles in a net pot the combo is great if you want to transplant makes it easier to just pop out the rapid rooter.. :)

Hi another substrate that I found that works great is putting clones in peat moss rapid rooters and then surrounding the rooter with aquarium gravel pebbles in a net pot the combo is great if you want to transplant makes it easier to just pop out the rapid rooter.. :)
I'd thought about that,and couldn't find anyone that was already doing it. Good to know.

Do you have any problems with extra moisture from the peat? Damping Off,root rot, or anything negative?.
I'm thinking of trieng a change from a plant vegging in promix to dwc. I'd stoped dwc for heat concerns but temps are cooling down now ᕦ(ಠ_ಠ)ᕤ

Hi 423 ...I found that with the combo of peat moss rapid rooters and aquarium pebble gravel, that I have had very lil issues so far, knock on hemp! ... I'm using 3 inch net pots with rooters pushed right down to the bottom of the basket so the rooters are exposed to the bubbles in the DWC reservoir all the time... I also keep the water down about 2 inchs away from basket bottoms that way rooters don't become to moist, I add some diluted veg nutrients to the water, as for the clones I take mine and put them all in water after I cut them ...like any plant you would lol ....Then I prep them with rooting powder and stick them in the peat moss rooters suround with pebbles and then place on my DIY cloner.. which is just a bubbling tote and a smaller see- threw tote for the humidity dome I also top sprayed fed for first 4 days with diluted nutriants if they seemed droopy cause they still have no roots yet... All the clones I took started roots in 7 to 10 days except one so the method works. I also started my seeds the same way made it easy to just pop the net cup out and move the plants to their own reservoirs to grow, and also to transplant to dirt to put some outside if you wish to go that route. When it comes to negatives; I've only had to deal with a magnesium deficiency which is easily fixed with some Epson salts but thats DWC systems for ya, My temps in my grow room fluctuated 10 degrees this summer from 70f to 90f at one point, and the girls made it threw that on the DWC system, I just kept things really breezy in there. I found as long as my reservoir water stayed cool 65f to 70f ( on a cold surfaced floor) my plants stayed nice and healthy no matter what the temp in the air in the grow room. As for root rot I have not had to battle that yet, but I change out and top off with fresh water in my reservoir twice in veg stage which was 2 months long and now I'm in Bloom stage so every two weeks I've been changing the water and refreshing nutrients till I reach harvest, they are 2 1/2 ft tall, they are the ones in my avatar pic. My only concern now is I started late in the season this year and the cold is coming and I'm growing in an unheated insulated shop. So I'm going to find out the limits as well with these girls and being on a DWC system in the cold might have to put a heater in the shop. Thank goodness I got my grow tent in time for in my house this winter! lol Good luck on the DWC grow
1568126773378.gif

Thanks Herbie, I've been reading what I could find on transplanting soil to dwc and it seems like the foliar feed you do would be good to help make it till the roots make it to the resavoir.
I think I'm going to take some clones for backup, if they look good in a couple weeks and do the foliar feed and top feed by hand once or twice a day. The few threads I found about it deficiencys before the roots take off is a common problem.
My plant is rough right now from massive regular doses of SNS and, and Dr. Doom spray for a mite problem.

Back
Top Bottom