DWC outside for veggies?

Weezze

I'm wondering if it would work?
I live in a condo with a little balcony, during summer I grow cucumber and fine grass with dirt.
But before the end of summer there's always some root bound.

So I was wondering if DWC would work for my situation?
My biggest problem is that the sun rise directly on my balcony until around 2pm, so in the morning its VERY hot.

I was thinking of some pipe coming from inside to chill the water, but that maybe too much! :laughtwo:

any idea?

thanks.
:riskybusiness:

I've had success with DWC once the temps drop into the 70's with several veggies and greens ... no air stones, just a container blacked out for algae. I usually paint the containers black then again with white to reflect the sunlight. Sometimes a little shade rig comes in handy.

Once the temps begin to rise, I'll toss in an airstone. When it hits 80's ... air stone, hydroguard and the occasional peroxide (diluted) rinse/dunk.

Into the 90's ... I don't even bother with DWC...too much hassle to cool.

Now a RDWC or Dutch Bucket system is doable in the heat of Summer. I use a cooler as my res and swap out 1gallon frozen jugs to keep the res temps in the low 70's

Works great
420-magazine-mobile496344840.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1198154678.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2041049923.jpg
420-magazine-mobile659655834.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1897695813.jpg

Here's a trick. Pick up one of those little electric coolers. Put an air pump in it with a couple of water bottles or something to help hold the cold. Drill a small hole big enough for an airline and drop an air stone in your res. You'll be amazed at how cool the res will stay with the chilled air blowing into the water.

Back
Top Bottom