DWC root mass issue

Michael Hunt

Hey everyone,

I have done quite a bit of searching on this topic and cant find much info that pertains to my situation. We have a single plant in a 5 gallon bucket with two large air discs. Growing under a Mars Hydro TSW2000 in a 3x3 tent. We run GH Flora series nutes with calmag and hydroguard added from Botonicare. Being my first grow in 10 years things were a little shaky to start. PH fluctuations, trying to use liquid ph kits (finally got a real meter), a few burnt leaves, and some ph lockout issues. She's finally cruising right along and about 1 week into flower now.

She started from seed and was topped very early on. But we let her veg for a very long time while waiting for our flower light to arrive (damn covid shipping delays). Like 9-10 weeks long. And she is HUGE. She takes up every bit of the 3x3 canopy. I have to squeeze her arms in to get the big girl out of the tent for her daily water check and top off. The roots have made it to the bottom of the bucket and are starting to form to the shape of the bucket. It now looks like a cylinder of solid roots squeezing out of the bucket like a cork coming out of a wine bottle. she's starting to run out of volume in the bucket for water and can barely fit 2 gallons in there without it bring the water level up to the bottom of the net pot. Every time i have to refill the water she wilts until the level drops to about 4 inches in the bottom of the bucket (roughly 1 gallon).

Considering 2 options to address this issue.

Option #1: Buy a bigger 7 gallon bucket. Pros: more space for roots. larger reservoirs are easier to stabilize as i'm sure most of you already know.
Cons: i would be losing a good bit of already decreasing canopy height. She's already a solid 3' tall from the top of the bucket and only 10 days into flower.

Option #2: prune the roots back some. This makes me nervous being into flower already. She's already showing tons of pistils and i would hate to stress her towards a more masculine outcome.

I'll try to get some pics up tonight.

If anybody here has any input i would love to hear it, good bad or otherwise. Thanks! :passitleft:

If you’re looking for something with bigger volume without adding height, look into a storage tote or Rubbermaid container. I use the 27 gallon ones from the Home Depot but they have other sizes as well that might work better for you. They are pretty cheap too.

Thanks for the reply Phantom! I wish it were that easy. We started in one of those integrated 5gallon bucket netpot lids. So we’re stuck with the bucket top connection.

I think you might still be able to get away using that lid, it would require cutting the lid of the tote. Just cut it big enough for the pot to slip through and let the rest of the integrated lid sit on top of the storage tote lid. For my setup I had to cut holes in the lids for my 6” net pots to slide into and hang from. I would think you could do the same with your pots.

81FE0E88-9EC2-4412-A305-2C3C58712E8C.jpeg

Here’s what my net pots look like sitting in the holes in the lids.

@The Phantom I like that idea :thumb: Didn't even think about just chopping the lid. The only issue what that would be fitting a 5 gallon bucket size root ball through the hole in the tote lid. Maybe plastic welding a 5 gallon bucket rim to the lid of a tote might be the answer. Provided it seals and doesn't sag under the weight of this monster.

really clean set up you have there btw!

Thank you, I tend to be a bit of an organization freak. I agree it would be hard getting the root ball through the hole but I think if you have an extra set of hands (assuming you do by the “we” in your first post) it shouldn’t be too difficult. Find something flexible you can shape into a cone to help get the roots through.

One thing about these totes are it’s almost impossible to find a good epoxy to weld them with. The totes I had had a pin hole in a few, not a big deal if I would have water tested them first before cutting holes in them, I could have just returned them. I tried all sorts of plastic epoxy without any luck. I ended up just using silicone sealant for the holes. If you do use a sealant use GE type 1 silicone sealant for windows and doors. It doesn’t contain the mildew killer like the kitchen and bath stuff does. I used to use it for my aquariums without any harm to the fish or live plants.

Good luck, it sounds like you have a good problem to have honestly.

@The Phantom you are correct. I have an extra set of hands to help but i still don't think we’ll be able to squeeze them through a hole that small. They are fairly dense. You’ll see tonight when i get some pics up.
Definitely familiar with the limitations of epoxy and wouldn't want to use them anyway due to epoxy off gassing much longer than most realize. Some epoxy takes weeks to finish off gassing. I was talking about actually welding the two pieces together much like you would with metal. Ive seen it done with hdpe and rotomolded plastics using what looked like a broad, flat tipped soldering iron to melt the two parent materials together and add filler plastic from scraps. Kayak fisherman have been repairing their hulls for years like this and it seems like the only permanent way to bond plastics together. Any idea what a tote is made out of?

I would definitely try doing what the phantom suggested.
Idk you could try supporting the lid with something on the inside so that it hold up the plant
Try getting a tote you can sit on, if it supports your weight it will definitely support the plants weight.

They are made of polypropylene. I’ve seen a similar method to the one you are talking about when I was looking for epoxies. They had a fancy hot glue gun with special glue sticks to bond plastics together. If you’re just trying to glue down and keep the lip of a 5 gallon pail from moving you might just be able to get away with the silicone until this grow finishes. It won’t be anything structural you can wrench on but it should seal it to keep water from coming out and keep it locked in place enough it won’t move around.

I would definitely try doing what the phantom suggested.
Idk you could try supporting the lid with something on the inside so that it hold up the plant
Try getting a tote you can sit on, if it supports your weight it will definitely support the plants weight.
I'm more worried about the lid after i cut a big enough hole in it to get the roots through. Maybe i'll get an extra lid as a back up and try two different hole sizes.

They are made of polypropylene. I’ve seen a similar method to the one you are talking about when I was looking for epoxies. They had a fancy hot glue gun with special glue sticks to bond plastics together. If you’re just trying to glue down and keep the lip of a 5 gallon pail from moving you might just be able to get away with the silicone until this grow finishes. It won’t be anything structural you can wrench on but it should seal it to keep water from coming out and keep it locked in place enough it won’t move around.
I've seen those things as well but am not as sold as the soldering iron method. Maybe if i cut the top ribs of the bucket off with say 3" of bucket wall below it, i can use the slight taper the bucket has to wedge tight in the tote lid. Leaving only 2-3 inches of bucket protruding into the new reservoir. Hhhmm :lot-o-toke:

If your going to do that might as well drill some hole into the bucket wall as well or something, that way you can just slide in the entire damn bucket into the tote.and just remove the lid whenever you need to do res changes or whatever.
You will have a bucket in a tote. The tote being a bigger expansion to the. 5 gallon resovoir now have like 17 gallons or more depending on tote. the bucket will support the plant and the tote lid
there you go problem solved :Rasta:

@Scottylikesbud I see where you are going with that. My only fear would be "blind spots" within the bucket not allowing fresh water to flow in and rinse the roots currently trapped in there. i'm thinking if the bucket insert was fit tight enough in the tote lid, it would make up for the missing material. And hopefully be as strong as a lid with no holes in it. That way the roots can hang free and keep on growing.

I see you’re rocking the Mars Hydro light, did you get in on the giveaway Smoke Sara is doing right now? Anyone can enter, just submit a photo, add the tags she has in the second post of the thread, and it’s a random drawing so no need for outrageous plant photos. Only catch is you have to do a featured grow journal for them if you win.

I also concur on the healthy looking root ball you have there, you might be too good at this! Your plant has a very healthy green to it as well. The problems you are having are definitely the good kind to have because you’re killing it with the grow.

Back
Top Bottom