DWC Scrog Growbox From Reveg

bluebell

Hello there folks. I'm starting this journal at the flowering stage because, hey, its the flowering stage and felt like having a journal.

its a 5 gallon DWC scrog, done under a 250 watt blackstar LED. Bag seed from what was sold to me as "dutch treat".

Plant after harvest and before reveg:

GROWTH:

I re-vegged this bag-seed baby after getting about an oz from her in an arrow garden. After I re-vegged her for about 5 months under a 64 Watt CFL (basically put her on the back burner while working on another plant from seed), I threw her into a hydroponic pot-lid with Silica Stone growing medium, cut a hole in the bottom of the pot lid for her tiny sad little arrow-garden roots, and flipped on the 250 watt blackstar LED for 20 hours a day. I'm using the recommended doses from floranova grow, and bloom, as well as the recommended doses of General Hydroponics Calmag, and I have used hydrogrozome twice during this process. I top off the DWC every week, and every two or three weeks I completely switch the solution out.

PESTS:

I have a mild spider-mite issue going on, that I'm monitoring and picking off the more heavily effected leaves. it seems to be controlling the issue so far.

PRESENTLY:

Its been in the Veg cycle about two weeks too long, just looking at the growth, forgot to keep track honestly, but she is definitely ready to flower. I put her on a 12-12 cycle last night. I think its been vegging for about two months, but that's a complete guess sadly.

Ill be adding the screen for the SCROG part of this in tomorrow during its light cycle.

I pruned off some of the leaves not getting any light. This thing is very bushy as you can see.

well I ended up not scroging this time after all... its just so bushy, and I would like to re-veg it again. I felt that it would be beneficial to get some light down to the lower areas so that they are not super tiny when they get light again. I have pruned off only a few of the larger fan leaves to let more light down into the center. this plant is much larger than the previous one, and i had to create a makeshift light hanger, as the one I have hangs down about a foot and a half from the top of the box, and was too close to the top of the plant. This didn't burn it or anything, its just that the light wasn't spreading out effectively over the entire plant.

I'll be researching today to see if i can find an actual test grow of heavy pruning vs light pruning vs no pruning. My head is telling me to prune the heck out of it, but i wonder if that's not just the human desire to make things look more uniform. as it is, the plant should be trying to use every bit of light possible I would imagine, and if I make the canopy thinner, it seems that more light will be wasted and not utilized.

Could you try to update your journal with photographs more frequently? I defoliate in vegetative growth to aid more branch development and iner growth. I defoliate in flowering between days 21-25 of flowering when the stretch phase has ended and again at day 45 if needed. I remove the lower growth and leaf that is blocking a bud site.

I put ducktape around the edges of the screen this time, which made it soooooo much easier to attach to the walls. last time i used U staple nails, this time i used tacks. :thumb:

I went ahead and trimmed the plant's leaves down, as on closer inspection there just wasn't enough air blowing through, and it was making it a big hassle to work with. after I trimmed it down I decided to go with the SCROG after all, as it was much thinner and there was so much more room for the smaller colas to get light, but they were very far away from the LED light i have... LED=Low penetration so that was another factor in the defoliation here. I dont think i would do this for an outdoor grow as the sun is bright enough to get to the bottom leaves and branches pretty well, but LED's make a good candidate i think, they have high amounts of quality light, but it is not very good at penetrating the leaves. I lowered the 5 big colas down to the same height as the medium and small colas, and now everything should be getting the same light. this allowed me to lower the light much closer to the entire mass, while maintaining better coverage over the entire square footage. should have done this sooner and not changed plans haha. I was still able to just bend the branches down, no breaking or twisting required, so this was LST :p

also... for some reason i just realized that cola is spelled the same as cola (soda).... i thought i was mispelling because of that brownie i ate an hour ago. dang. huh. :tokin:

Just aquick update, I've been meaning to upload photos but haven't gotten around to putting them on my computer. It's been in the 12 12 cycle for about 8 weeks now, and is looking pretty nice. It's super sticky all over, and it's starting to smell up my room a bit. I just used the last of my flower nutes and I'll need to get some more tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have some updated pictures.

Ok here we go, its super cold right now in my living room where my computer is, as I get home late and often don't start a fire, instead retreating to my heater warmed room.

in anycase! photos.

Closet_0002_20140208034725.jpg
Closet_0001_20140208034723.jpg

so these are from about a week and a half ago. sadly the one's i took today were corrupted :(

Oh also,I just switched to sensi two part nutes at the strong reccomendation of the grow store guy... I went there because I had to get more flowering nutes. I'm not 100% sure I went with the right one! but I guess we will see. If I follow their directions, the price works out to be $9 more, and I should get about 3 grows out of it... So i guess $3 per grow isn't too bad, so long as it's at least equivilant in how well the plant does on it. I started with 1/2 the recomended dose to be safe. I don't have a ppm meter yet, so I'm going with the "let the plant show me" deal for now. I Also added in a 64 watt cfl because I had it and it's been cold enough lately that the extra heat doesn't matter

oh man! well, lame, that was apparently not enough nutes. underside of some of the top leaves turned purple and i had a spidermite explosion! yesterday she looked perfectly fine, then today BAM! there was webbing and a huge amount of little yellow spidermite spotting on the leaves. I immediately took her into the shower and sprayed her off really well. I added nutes up to the full dose, and then I left her in there with a heater and a big fan to dry her out before she went back into the closet.

its interesting how crazy the spider mites took advantage of the nute deficiency! I guess they were just waiting for their chance the little bastards!

I plan on hosing her down again today. What a hassle.

Back
Top Bottom