DWC seedling question?

James427

So I'm trying my very first DWC Grow. I have researched as much as possible and I am currently using a 5 gallon "root spa" bucket. what I did was take my seedling that is in a rapid rooter showing multiple roots and put that into a 4" rock wool cube. Now what I'm wondering is with a dwc setup running when there is no roots showing from the rockwool cube yet should it be hand fed until roots reach for the water level? Or should it just barely touch the bottom of the Rockwool cube? I'm concerned because the Rockwool cube seems to be wicking lots (like I could squeez lots of water from it) of water into it and I am concerned of a no oxygen condition (drowning) thus killing my little seedling. It is on its 3rd tiny just visible set of true leaves and was just put in the rock wool so no roots in that yet. Does the oxygenated water from the bucket stay that way into the rockwool? I'm thinking no myself but any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I didn't even read everything you said. I stopped when you said rockwool. I'd take it out of the wool. Just put the rapid rooters into your clay pellets. Water from the top till they hit water. Water around the rapid rooter. Not on it.

I didn't even read everything you said. I cringed when you said rockwool. I'd take it out of the wool. Just put the rapid rooters into your clay pellets. Water from the top till they hit water.

Ok cool. I was reading issues with rockwool causing issues by constantly wicking up water and not allowing the roots to breath. Also heard it was a good place for algae to develope as well but I though the little rapid rooter would have been to small to place into the pebbles. I'll def try that before it starts rooting into the rock wool.

Click on my first grow. That's how everyone I know does it. Rapid Rooters into the clay pebbles. Good luck to you.

Now I like rockwool I use it For every grow in dwc setup the trick is to keep the water away from the rockwool I'd fill your Rez and add your air and set a dry bucket in there and turn the pumps on and watch how much water hits the bottom of the bucket you don't want it soaking but wet now that wet hydrotun will wick to the rockwool and you're golden. I also top feed 2 table spoons a day untill I see those roots hit the solution
Tangerine dream in dwc setup with rockwool

Back
Top Bottom