DWC setup root rot. Help please!

Itsthatdood

Hi SWIM has a plant 4 weeks into flowering (chronic fruit juice strain) and I've noticed root rot getting worse and worse, 4 days ago. SWIM added 4ml/gallon of h202 and left it for about 24 hours to soak it up and then gave it a rez change. Yesterday the root rot came back with a vengeance, smelled like death. SWIM decided to take the plant out of the DWC and wash it out with a hose, take out the hydroton and put new hydroton, wash it all out thoroughly with pretty strong pressure hose. Then after another Rez change SWIM added 1ml h202 to the rez of about 4 gallons. Now did I do something wrong? By the way I let air lines and air stone in a Pretty high amount of h202/water to make sure everything is as clean as can be. Is it fine to leave the h202 in the rez till the next change or would SWIM be better off changing it again? I doubt .25ml/gallon will have any ill effect on the girl. All responses and thoughts welcome, thank you!
By the way temp of the room stays at a consistent 76 degrees and there's a 1000 watt light for 2 girls, SWIM keep the ph at 5.8-6.1 as much as possible and keep the ppm at under 500 (using reverse osmosis water).

Ah man that sucks, root rot is a pain in the ass!
I was going to suggest the peroxide mix but its been triied I see!
Hmm there was somethign else I read a while back about ttreating root rot but I forget the exact procedures. Hold tight I'll try to dig it up!

Root Rot / Pythium Root Rot (Pythium spp.)

Pythium root rot can be caused by several different species of the fungus Pythium.

These fungi are common in field soil, sand or sediment of surface water supplies, and dead roots of previous crops.

Pythium has also been found in some commercially available soilless potting mixes.

Pythium is easily introduced into pasteurized soil or soilless mixes by using dirty tools, dirty pots or flats, walking on or allowing pets to walk on the mixes and by dumping the mixes on benches or potting shed floors that have not been thoroughly cleaned.

When introduced into pasteurized soil or soilless mixes, Pythium can cause severe root rot because it has few competitors to check its activity.

Root rot is also a common problem for those growing directly in water, such as via deep water culture or ------------ and this fungus poses a threat to crops grown in just about any hydroponic system.

A great way to prevent root rot in hydroponic systems is to properly aerate the water!

If the reservoir is heavily contaminated with debris or soil harboring Pythium, the fungus can spread to a large number of plants quickly.

If the fungus infests a cutting bed or if contaminated water is used in propagation, large losses usually occur.

Almost all plants are susceptible to Pythium root rot.

Root tips which are very important in taking up nutrients and water are attacked and killed. Pythium also can rot the base of unrooted cuttings.

Symptoms of Pythium include: Stunted plants, root tips are brown and dead, Plants yellow and die, Plants wilt at mid-day and may recover at night, rot may proceed up the stem, brown tissue on the outer portion of the root easily pulls off leaving a bare strand of vascular tissue exposed, and the cells of roots contain many microscopic thick-walled spores.

Solution: Pythium root rot is difficult to control once it has begun.

However, at ------------ after much trial and error, we've discovered that we've always been able to control and erradicate root rot with Aquashield.

We HAVE NOT had good luck with Subculture B, Great White and SM-90 to treat root rot, though other growers have reported success killing root rot using those treatments.

Still, even with the amazing power of Aquashield in treating root rot, every effort should be directed toward preventing the disease before it begins.

Pasteurize soil and sand with heat (a microwave) or chemical fumigant treatments.

If the water supply is suspected of being the primary source of Pythium, it may be necessary to treat the water before use.

Slow sand filtration has been shown to be an effective, simple, and inexpensive method for removing Pythium from water.

Cover the treated soil and store it or the soilless mix in an area that will not be contaminated through the introduction of non-treated soil.

Likewise, cover ebb and flow system reservoirs. Disinfest all surfaces, tools, and equipment that will contact the potting mix.

We have also found that Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) will work for controlling Pythium in both dirt and hydro for short amounts of time. However, I highly recommend getting Aquashield for a more permanent solution.

look into brewing tea search "Heisenberg tea" or "tea bag your DWC" - you will find it :)

Its the only thing that saved my ass on my first DWC - once its there - its a you know what.........

i tried aquashield and hydroguard alone but i only found them to help as preventative in my situation.

once i got the rot i had to overdose with the TEA - I eventually went back to aquashield only once it was under control lol

Tea bag your DWC haha love it..

I too thought it was quite hilarious when i found it hahaha

PLUS IT WORKED!!!

also one more thing the Tea is great because you get more out of the supplies then if you used them alone :)

I know this isn't going to help you right now, but from all the research i did before building my DWC setup, everyone who had had root rot, who then went on to get more aeration through the water in their next attempts, all solved the problem.

I was set on just using one 60ltrs per minute pump when i was setting up, and then thought it best to double it up. My res's bubble like crazy, but so far (touch wood) no root rot.

Also, you probably already know this, but keep light out of the res's, and keep the water temps around 60-68.

Good luck, and i hope you get rid of it.

Here's a video from Youtube that might help you too.

agreed - from what i know you can NOT have too much aeration - impossible lol

more pump more pumps more pumps for DWC lol - thats what everyone tells me lol

You can try Mykos its a granule form I use it for my DWC, When I use peroxide I use 5 ml per gal to my rez but when I change my water out and clean everything out I give them a soak at a stronger dose to a gallon I will use like 30 ml of peroxide at 3%. But this time I tried the Mykos and just add a tbls per gallon of water my indicas seem to love it needs to be tweaked for my sativas but seems to be helping better than I thought it would since it's for dirt lol. But I didn't feel like making a tea and was looking for a quick fix

Back
Top Bottom