DWC: What's the most accurate method to monitor nute levels?

GnuBee

420 Member
First grow: DWC using tap water, 5-gal buckets, 4x4 grow tent, 900w LED, etc, etc.. For nutrition Im using General Hydroponic's FloraMicro and FloraBloom following the Lucas Formula.

It appears that PPMs and pH are the most widely used methods for tracking nutes/needs. PH is easy enough to monitor and correct. Looks like I should maintain a level from about 5.5-6.0 with 5.8 being optimal. My question is this; Between EC, TDS, PPMs (500) and PPMs (700), which is the easier (newbie proof) way to track nutrition absorption/intake?

Second question - If I'm using tap water (after chlorine has evaporated and pH corrected), do I take a TDS reading of MY water prior to adding nutrients? If I understand things correctly, I take that baseline tap water reading and then add my recommended TDS range..

Example: Tap water = TDS of 200, plus recommended TDS range of 800-1200, gives me a "goal" of 1000-1400....

Is E.C. an easier way to go?

Thanks in advance. I didn't see this covered in any other threads.

Ec mate... pH last, don't check ec after pH.. use pH up/down as little as possible. don't use pH up and down then more up then down, that will muck with ec and nutrients.... when using, Add Cal mag first..

Ec mate... pH last, don't check ec after pH.. use pH up/down as little as possible. don't use pH up and down then more up then down, that will muck with ec and nutrients.... when using, Add Cal mag first..
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

I ph my water first to around 5.5 to 6.0.
I'm using silica in my grow so I add that next,then I check ppm's to get an idea of how much nutrient to add.
I try to keep my ppm's at around 400 for young seedlings then when they start getting bigger I increase my nutes until I get my ppm's between 600 and 700.
If I get some leaf burn then I dilute it back down a bit.
The nice thing about doing a hydro grow is that you can adjust the strength of your nutes depending on what your plants can tolerate.

Your checking your pH at an unnecessary time.... check last as that's when it's needing to be within range, as it's being feed to plants...

s-l225.jpg

Advanced Nutrients Grow Micro Bloom pH Perfect Bundle Set Combo Base Nutrients

I try and use the K.I.S.S. method. R/O water for my base, Root 66 for the first 2 weeks along with Advanced nutes. I used to check my pH all the time. Added my nutes used pH up/down, then check it constantly to make sure everything was correct.
A friend told me about Advanced Nutes and they work great in my DWC, along with Bud Candy and Big Bud. The pH stays were I like it and plants are very healthy. Check them out.

Your checking your pH at an unnecessary time.... check last as that's when it's needing to be within range, as it's being feed to plants...
Since I'm using silica in my reservoir I add that first and then I ph the water.
Then I add my nutrients.
i mix it this way to avoid the silica from falling out.
My plants seem to be doing quite well with this technique and I have not had any nute burn or deficiencies thus far.

Keep doing what works for you in your environment.. don't fix what ain't broke...

Keep doing what works for you in your environment.. don't fix what ain't broke...
Right on man.
We all do what works best for us.
Everyone has their own way of doing things.
What I know works best for me and I'm happy so that's what really counts.
Everything I know I have read about and watched you tube videos about.
I just recently discovered how much silica helps with the over all health of the plant.
I have been adding it this grow and have significant improvement to how the plants look.
The branches are thicker and stronger.
I learn by listening to others on here as well.
I just want you to know that I don't mean to misdirect anybody in the wrong direction,that is not my intention.
people can take my advice if they want to or they can continue doing what works for them.
Peace man.

First grow: DWC using tap water, 5-gal buckets, 4x4 grow tent, 900w LED, etc, etc.. For nutrition Im using General Hydroponic's FloraMicro and FloraBloom following the Lucas Formula.

It appears that PPMs and pH are the most widely used methods for tracking nutes/needs. PH is easy enough to monitor and correct. Looks like I should maintain a level from about 5.5-6.0 with 5.8 being optimal. My question is this; Between EC, TDS, PPMs (500) and PPMs (700), which is the easier (newbie proof) way to track nutrition absorption/intake?

High GnuBee, I'm also started with GH nutrients and a pH measurer, but someone gave me good advice: change to Advanced Nutrients Grow Micro Bloom pH Perfect Bundle Set (so that way I forget about the pH measurer) and buy an EC measurer. Now every day at the same hour I just measure the ppm and note it down. Knowing what is the goal then it is easy to fill to top with just water with no nuts or add some to match. Hope it helps ...

Back
Top Bottom