DYI Grow Box

Excited2start

so this is my first time ever doing anything like this and want to show everyone what I am doing. I have started to build my own grow box for the first time. I am using only thinns I have around my house. So I have spent pretty much no money on this so far. I took a little cabinet I had in my kitchen and pulled off the back. There was a shelf in it so I took that out to give myself more room. After I did that I took some white paint I had around and painted the inside all white. I am going to be using CFL's for right now. I had have cool white tubes that are at 6100k the are 17 watt= 75 equivelent. They are gro lux grow bulbs. I have three 2 ft ballast and bulbs. I will also be using some 13 watt 2700k lights that I have I regular sockets. I will only be using two of these along with the tubes for the flowering period. When it come time to flower I plan on bying some 2700k spectrum tubes to use. I figure a mix of these lights should be good for now. I do not have fans right now, but plan on getting some when I get a liitle bit more money. I figure two little six inch fans so be ok for the size of the box. When I have time I will post pictures of the box. I have been taking picture through the whole process. Would love some advice when I get pics up. Good or bad criticism is welcome. Need all the help I can get.

So I have chosen to go with 4 13 watt cfls 2700k. I am using these with the 3 17 watt 6100k cfl tube grow lights. In total I have an equivlent of 390 watts and about 7,000 lumens. The space I am using is only 28''L x 18''W x 24''H. It is only 6.75 cubic feet in interior. Does any one know if this is enough lumens for this small of a space? I am only looking to grow one maybe two plants in it. When I get the fans I will update you some more. Once I figure out how to upload my photos I will post them to the thread.

These first three are pics of the inside while I was painting it
DSCN27241.jpg
DSCN27251.jpg
DSCN27261.jpg

These are the tube lights I used and how I how hooked them together.
DSCN27271.jpg
DSCN27271.jpg

And these are of the lights after I installed them.
DSCN27291.jpg

DSCN27352.jpg
DSCN27402.jpg

DSCN27362.jpg

add a few more layers of white paint and also add an adjustable stand that will allow you to get your plants closer to the lights

I plan on doing something about that. I was thinking of just using some plastic bins under the plants to raise them up. When I get some money I will add more paint. Everything i used I had found around my house and did not pay any money for. I plan on doing more work on it after the holidays.

Its def a good start, i would make sure to get the box all sorted out and finshed up before i put any ladies in there. Give them the best conditions. Also you need to get some air flow into and out of the box

Yea I plan on buys some squirrel fans to vent air and heat out. I found some for only like 10 bucks and they move 23 CFM and it is only 7 cubic feet inside. So I think that will be enough to keep clean air coming. I am not worried about smell right now and dont plan on using a carbon filter until I can build something bigger. I think I am going to build a new light support to better support the ights maybe make it as adjustable as I can. Not sure yet. More to come after christmas.

So I have redesigned the way I am lighting this. I have found 55 watt cfls at 3850 lumens 2700k from wal-mart for about 12 bucks a peice. I am going to use six of them and mount the lights on the side of the cabinet I am looking for some in the blue spectrum 6500k. This is going to give me about 23100 lumens. This gives me more light in less space. When i find them I plan on using a combination of the two lights I remeasured the cabinet and I only have 5.8 cubicfeet of space. It is 24 inches tall by 1'1'' wide by 28 inches long. Right now I open the door every couple hours and run a box fan into it to help control the heat and give the ladies some fresh air. When I get a little more money I am going to get two squirrel fans for computers and use them to vent and circulate air into the box. I have repainted it as well to have a more smooth surface so the light reflects better. Right now I have four sprouts going from seeds I had from a bag. hoping for a good turn out.

I can tell you this, from experience, CFL's don't work. They will produce buds but not the quality that you are looking for. Do your self a favor, invest in proper lighting. there are peole that are always going to try to take short cuts. Just like in baking you can't and with growing pot , you can't as well.

I can tell you this, from experience, CFL's don't work. They will produce buds but not the quality that you are looking for. Do your self a favor, invest in proper lighting. there are peole that are always going to try to take short cuts. Just like in baking you can't and with growing pot , you can't as well.

Sorry, I disagree, while your comment is true that if you use HID lighting you will get better harvest.... CFL's are not a waste, and they do work and well (from my own experience, 3 85 watt CFL's, 2 plants, 5 ounces in SCROG).

For the small personal grower who is trying to keep the cost down, CFL's can work and work well. For proof search in the Grow Journals:

Thew1sest's First Closet Hydro, SCROG, CFL Journal

Back
Top Bottom