Dynafem Big Kush - Grow Tent - Coco Coir - 250W HPS Grow Journal

Frostage

Welcome to my first grow journal!

I've never grown before, but have done a lot of research on this and similar forums, so I hope nothing too major goes wrong.

I'll be updating this thread every few days with progress, including any issues I run into (I'm sure there'll be a few!) and how I get around them.

First things first, I made the decision to buy one of the ready-made grow tent kits available on the internet instead of building my own. I found on for £130 on ebay which included a 250W HPS bulb, reflector, ballast, bulb timer, 4" inline fan, carbon filter, and ducting. When I added up the cost of all that not including the tent, I found that I would have spent almost as much buying it all separately then building my own grow box, so it made sense to just buy the kit.

The tent is 50cmx50cmx100cm, so quite small, but this is what I wanted as I have a small stealthy place to put it, and I only intend to grow 2-3 plants at most.

For the growing medium, I did a lot of reading on the forums and decided to go with a mix of 70% coco coir and 30% perlite. This is supposed to be an efficient and fairly easy to use medium, ideal for a first time grower.
The strain I'm growing is Dynafem's "Big Kush" which is a 50/50 indica/sativa cross. I bought 3 feminized seeds from a local retailer.

Now on to the grow!

I planted my seeds on 02/04/16 directly into the final growing medium/pot (70/30 coco/perlite, in a 5 gallon pot). For the first few days I kept the medium moist and left the pots on top of a radiator to keep them warm, mainly because my tent hadn't arrived yet.

After 3 days (05/04/16), the first sprouts broke ground:

First_Sprout.JPG

Luckily on the same day, the tent arrived, and I set it up according to the instructions (which was very simple). I hung the HPS and reflector in there with the adjustable ratchet straps so the light can be raised or lowered as needed.

For ventilation, I mounted the carbon filter to the vent hole top of the tent, then ran ducting from it from the top of the tent into the inlet side of the inline fan. On the outlet side of the fan I put a few metres of ducting which I routed away from the tent. Next, on the bottom of the tent I put some ducting from the inlet hole out to a cool air source (shaded outdoor area) away from the tent.

Tent_in_Location.JPG
Seedlings_in_Tent.JPG

I put a thermometer in the tent at plant level and set the light schedule to 18/6. When I next looked in the tent a few hours later I noticed the temperature was 30+C, so decided I needed better ventilation.
I wired up two old 3" PC fans to a 12V power supply from an old laptop and put them into the tent. The first one I put inside the end of the inlet duct to pull in cool air. As the PC fan is much smaller and less efficient than the inline exhaust fan I can still maintain negative pressure in the tent to control smells later in the grow. The other PC fan I mounted on the tent frame facing up towards the HPS bulb in order to cool it directly.

IMG_59027.JPG

IMG_59018.JPG

IMG_59006.JPG

This reduced temps to about 26C with the lights on overnight, just about perfect. During the day however if the sun was out and the light was on, temps would rise to as much as 31C, which is unacceptable. I set the bulb timer to go off at midday, then on again at 6pm (avoiding the hottest part of the day), which helped to control the temperatures. The maximum temperature I hit was about 29C at about 6:30pm, when the outside air was still warm. This is still too high so I resigned to keep the bulb a little higher away from the plants for an hour after turning on, which reduced the max temp to about 27.5C. This is still higher than I would like, and I am also now losing some light power at plant level, so this needs more thought.

09/04/16 ---------------------------
I started mixing nutrients into the water at this point as the first set of serrated leaves were starting to show. I used General Hydroponics FloraGro, FloraMicro, and FloraBloom, then a generic CalMag supplement. I followed the instructions from grow weed easy for using these nutrients with coco coir, and mixed in the correct amounts before testing and correcting the pH.

11/04/16 ---------------------------
Noticed some yellowing of the tips of first serrated leaves:

IMG_59038.JPG

IMG_589710.JPG

IMG_58946.JPG

After posting on this forum for some advice (here: New Grower - Seedling Issues), I was told that it was most likely to be nutrient burn. The consensus appears to be that young seedlings do not need any nutrients at all until they are a little bigger, as they get all they need from the cotyledons (first rounded leaves). I did a full flush using pure pH'd tap water, and decided to continue watering with just water for the next week, until the plants are a little stronger.

12/04/16 ---------------------------
After reading some information on humidity, I ordered a wireless temperature/humidity sensor (from here: Homdox Wireless Weather Humidity Monitor Indoor/Outdoor Modern Design: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home), and set it up with the sensor in the tent and the receiver outside, so I could monitor the environment without actually going in there. I found the humidity to be quite low, around 30-40% with the light on, so I did some more searching and posted again on this forum (same thread as above). The advice I was given was that low humidity will not seriously damage plants, it will only slow growth, but high humidity can cause all manner of problems, such as mould.

I was given a suggestion here by Vestrimatrik, which was to suspend a small towel in the tent with the bottom few inches sat in a container of water. This should serve to raise the humidity due to evaporation. I did this and the humidity has raised to ~45% with the light on, which is in the acceptable range, though still a tad low.

13/04/16 ---------------------------
Plants are now recovering from the nutrient burn with pure pH'd tap water. The yellowing is receding and new growth is showing no signs of problems.

IMG_59047.JPG

IMG_59054.JPG

IMG_59068.JPG

IMG_59038.JPG

14/04/16 ---------------------------
Some good growth over the last couple of days (still with no nutrients), minimal stretching going on (from the look of the 2nd node coming in) which is ideal as I'm after short bushy plants (only got ~70cm to work in — 100cm tent minus light & plant pots).

IMG_59149.JPG

IMG_59128.JPG

IMG_59158.JPG

IMG_59115.JPG

Temperature and humidity is still an issue, especially as the days are getting longer. After speaking my grow partner we had the idea to suspend a piece of plexi-glass the same width/depth as the tent below the bottom of the bulb reflector, then drill a few holes in it. This should stop a lot of the hot air from the bulb reaching the plants, as it should bounce off the plexiglass and be taken straight up the exhaust in the top of the tent. The inlet will come in below the sheet, meaning a cool air supply direct to the plants, and the holes in the plexiglass should allow the air to be extracted from the bottom of the tent through the carbon filter and vent. This should also raise humidity slightly as more water vapour will be trapped below the plexiglass.

I've ordered a 50cmx50cm sheet of plexiglass and will hopefully be able to put it together in the next few days.

What's up Frostage looking good in here. I would have been smart to get a tent kit and pay shipping once. That's thing looks swell. A little nute burn is gonna happen, you ought to wait until the end of week 2 to begin nutes, other than root boosters. Be she's going to be fine, goodluck the rest of the way and...

KiG :green_heart:cheers

Well its been an eventful week for the plants, lots of good growth!

Yesterday I received my sheet of plexiglass in the post, and fitted it in the tent. I got a piece the exact size of my tent (50cmx50cm), then cut off the corners and drilled two holes in each corner, and finally mounted the plexiglass using a zip tie around the tent pole at each corner. I mounted it just about half way down the tent, with the light just above it and the plants about 10" below. This separates the plant area (with cool inlet) from the hot light area (with filtered exhaust). There are gaps around the edge of the plexiglass to allow airflow from the plant area to the light area.

This dramatically reduced the temperatures in the tent, to the stage that I was able to put the light half the distance from the plants that I had it before and still maintain optimum temperature. There is still a problem however, in that during the height of a sunny day my temp can rise to just below 30C with the lights on, and on a very cold night temp can drop to as little as 21C with the lights on. I can make sure temps don't reach the 30s during the day by moving the light away slightly, then I have to move it closer at night. I have now bought a thermostat controlled socket. It comes with a probe which is put in the plant area of the tent, then I will plug in the inlet fan to it and set it to ~26C. When the temp drops below this the inlet fan will be turned off, meaning less cool air is pulled in (some still pulled in by the exhaust fan) and the tent can stay warmer overnight. I will need to put the light the correct distance away so that it never gets too hot in there, then I should be good to go as the thermostat/inlet fan combo will ensure the tent never gets too cold.

On a separate note, I watered with pure pH'd water for the last week, then started to notice slight yellowing so introduced a weaker nutrient solution than before, which the plants seemed to respond well to. I plan to up the nutrient ratios a little bit next week as I am using about 1/2 the recommended dose for seedlings, and the plants are now almost properly vegetative.

Anyway, here are some progresss photos on day 18 from seed:

Seedling 1
IMG_59367.JPG

IMG_59378.JPG

Seedling 2
IMG_59395.JPG

IMG_59387.JPG

I am noticing some strange issues with seedling 2, with yellowing and crinkling of the leaves and reduced growth. The stems are also slightly reddish. I have posted in the FAQ section about this, but if anyone has any ideas here that would be appreciated!

I also plan to FIM both plants at some point in the next week or so, any advice there would be appreciated as well :thumb:

Well it's been a week since my last update so I thought I'd better get one up here.

The plants have exploded over the last 7 days with a crazy amount of growth!

I FIM'd the plants on day 20 from seed, and waited anxiously to see if I'd got it right. It seems like I did, as the tops have separated nicely and I've now got 4 new mains forming on each plant. I also LST'd the stronger plant out of the two as it is becoming incredibly bushy! 4 days after my last update, on day 22 from seed, the plants looked like this:

Plant number 1
IMG_59856.JPG

IMG_59877.JPG

Plant number 2
IMG_59894.JPG

IMG_59906.JPG

Unfortunately, at this stage, I noticed that the plants had become quite badly root bound, even though the pot I was using was larger than the recommended size for that age/size of plant. Looks like the strain is a strong rooter!

IMG_59925.JPG

IMG_59936.JPG

I sorted out some larger pots and got the plants moved into them, and I also upped the nutrients I was adding to the recommended amount (I use the grow weed easy coco coir / general hydroponics schedule). The plants responded extremely well to the changes, and my weaker plant has really started to bounce back. The stronger plant is going crazy, it's so short and bushy with so many nodes and soon-to-be bud sites!

On day 24 from seed, after letting the plants settle in to the new pots for a couple of days, I reapplied the LST to both plants. This has made a huge difference and now both plants are looking exactly how I want them. Here are the two on day 25 from seed:

Plant #1 Day 25
IMG_60155.JPG

IMG_60144.JPG

Plant #2 Day 25
IMG_60185.JPG

IMG_60195.JPG

My thermostat arrived today so I've wired it up with the inlet fan and now I have much better control over my temperature. I'd recommend this to anyone using a small grow space. Along with the perspex sheet I now have the temperature in the perfect region all the time.

If the plants are going to stretch 100% during flowering, I'll need to switch them over soon as they are now using about 1/3 of my available height in the tent. Hence my happiness about how short and bushy they are growing!

If anyone has any comments or questions about how the grow is going so far I'd be happy to hear them. I can't wait to start these babies flowering in a couple of weeks!

Hey I'm new have yet to grow. But I'm watching. I think your plants are beautiful. Good luck I'm here will chirp in time to time. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using 420

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom