Earliest varieties for breeding?

Grandma Weedstein

Hey there, I am in the process of a DIY breeding project — mostly interested in stuff that’s well suited for the wet side of Oregon. Any recommendations as to particularly early flowering varieties that I can use for crossing? Any particularly resistant to fungus and molds? Also, any experience with autoflower breeding? I realize the plant must inherent the recessive autoflower gene from both parents to actually autoflower. However, will having just one autoflower parent be enough to speed up flowering a bit?

Indica or Indica leaning will finish faster, but you can have more issues with them growing so dense unless you open them up so they get air flow. Autoflowers not my thing but might be something that would finish faster before the wet season hits. Or find something/some way of covering them when it rains at the wrong time of Flowering, got a cheapo greenhouse thing that helped last year but I still had some budrot and had to stay on top of it. Haven't been growing long enough to narrow down what Strains work better with that, just be patient as someone may wander in with experience there.

pic of that greenhouse thing and what it looked like w/o it:

Though it's just plastic pipe that fits together so if winds got strong not sure it would hold up, I just put the cover on it when it rained and left bottom part rolled up for air flow, threw away probably a 1/2 oz year before w/o it and a couple grams last year with it due to Budrot (but you have to keep an eye on it and remove stuff carefully when you see it so it don't spread).

Indica or Indica leaning will finish faster, but you can have more issues with them growing so dense unless you open them up so they get air flow. Autoflowers not my thing but might be something that would finish faster before the wet season hits. Or find something/some way of covering them when it rains at the wrong time of Flowering, got a cheapo greenhouse thing that helped last year but I still had some budrot and had to stay on top of it. Haven't been growing long enough to narrow down what Strains work better with that, just be patient as someone may wander in with experience there.

pic of that greenhouse thing and what it looked like w/o it:

Though it's just plastic pipe that fits together so if winds got strong not sure it would hold up, I just put the cover on it when it rained and left bottom part rolled up for air flow, threw away probably a 1/2 oz year before w/o it and a couple grams last year with it due to Budrot (but you have to keep an eye on it and remove stuff carefully when you see it so it don't spread).
What’s the best way to remove bud rot? Also: Why do you think you got it despite covering the plant?

What’s the best way to remove bud rot? Also: Why do you think you got it despite covering the plant?

Cut it off with scissors carefully and don't let it touch other parts when removing (or your hands touch good buds when cutting them off), clean hands and clean scissors with rubbing alcohol when done. They kind of sweat when covered and lack of air flow can cause that, why I said Indica's can sometimes be a pain also as they grow so much more bushy and shorter harder to open up middle of the plant for airflow. Between the weatherman lying ;) (got rained on when it wasn't supposed to rain) and we got 4 days in row at the wrong time probably didn't help. Why some parts of the State it is harder to grow outside or successfully, why I only do two outside for the free lighting (no power bill involved) and also grow indoors (or sorta as in my shed, so they stay dry but deal with temp problems sometimes). Way prices are getting it is more of a Hobby for me, albeit I do prefer to smoke my own stuff, as hard to grow it indoors cheaper than what you can get it at the Dispensaries if you shop around.

Cut it off with scissors carefully and don't let it touch other parts when removing (or your hands touch good buds when cutting them off), clean hands and clean scissors with rubbing alcohol when done. They kind of sweat when covered and lack of air flow can cause that, why I said Indica's can sometimes be a pain also as they grow so much more bushy and shorter harder to open up middle of the plant for airflow. Between the weatherman lying ;) (got rained on when it wasn't supposed to rain) and we got 4 days in row at the wrong time probably didn't help. Why some parts of the State it is harder to grow outside or successfully, why I only do two outside for the free lighting (no power bill involved) and also grow indoors (or sorta as in my shed, so they stay dry but deal with temp problems sometimes). Way prices are getting it is more of a Hobby for me, albeit I do prefer to smoke my own stuff, as hard to grow it indoors cheaper than what you can get it at the Dispensaries if you shop around.
Thanks, that sounds tricky, though. I’ve got big clumsy fingers.

Thanks, that sounds tricky, though. I’ve got big clumsy fingers.

Can relate to that....just as carefully as you can basically, as it will spread on it's own but no sense helping it along ;) :rofl: .....one of the reasons I may quit growing outside, almost didn't this year as weather was weird but did anyway and got a late start, so my plants pretty small compared to last year.

Can relate to that....just as carefully as you can basically, as it will spread on it's own but no sense helping it along ;) :rofl: .....one of the reasons I may quit growing outside, almost didn't this year as weather was weird but did anyway and got a late start, so my plants pretty small compared to last year.
I’m thinking of taking the autoflower route next year, or just harvesting early because I’m not sophisticated enough of a smoker to care THAT much about fully developed terpenes or even THC. If the trichomes aren’t at peak level, then I’ll just take another couple puffs to make up for it... I’m not finicky (having grown up on nameless bagweed in the ‘90s) and it’s better than losing the whole crop.

I can't be much help with the mold issue, but on the breeding side, have you considered using one of the "fast" strains? They have a touch of ruderalis (autoflower) genetics, but still behave like a photoperiod. Might be an area for you to explore.

Die hard PNW outdoor (& uncovered!) grower here.

1. Lebanese are a good bet for early flowering & finishing. See: On Walden's Outdoor Grow In The PNW '18: A Nonlinear Tale

2. Lotsa seed banks carry quick finishers. Most of 'em, like Seedsman, which is a sponsor here on 420, make it easy to search for quick finishers. Those seedbanks will also give you a notion of mold resistance, as will decent breeders...some of it is true, too;)

3. Some local banks like Cannabeizein & Oregon Green Seeds carry fast finishing strains. I've grown both, see my completed journal. On Walden's outdoor grow in the PNW '18: A nonlinear tale (hecho!) .

OGS is fairly spendy, but Cannabeizen is ridiculously cheap & I love their gear. Currently growing my 3rd strain from them & I'm impressed!

4. Bud rot is a very real risk & one needs to be able to recognize it & it deal with it immediately, if it happens! But it's a risk, not guaranteed. And it is manageable. I've lost about 5g of weed to rot over 5 five years, while harvesting 'round 5 lbs...I ain't gonna do the math, but that's waaaaay less than 1%. To be sure, I sometimes harvest slightly earlier than optimal, but I'm quite unconcerned about optimal. Perfect is the enemy of good.

Grow on.

Die hard PNW outdoor (& uncovered!) grower here.

1. Lebanese are a good bet for early flowering & finishing. See: On Walden's Outdoor Grow In The PNW '18: A Nonlinear Tale

2. Lotsa seed banks carry quick finishers. Most of 'em, like Seedsman, which is a sponsor here on 420, make it easy to search for quick finishers. Those seedbanks will also give you a notion of mold resistance, as will decent breeders...some of it is true, too;)

3. Some local banks like Cannabeizein & Oregon Green Seeds carry fast finishing strains. I've grown both, see my completed journal. On Walden's outdoor grow in the PNW '18: A nonlinear tale (hecho!) .

OGS is fairly spendy, but Cannabeizen is ridiculously cheap & I love their gear. Currently growing my 3rd strain from them & I'm impressed!

4. Bud rot is a very real risk & one needs to be able to recognize it & it deal with it immediately, if it happens! But it's a risk, not guaranteed. And it is manageable. I've lost about 5g of weed to rot over 5 five years, while harvesting 'round 5 lbs...I ain't gonna do the math, but that's waaaaay less than 1%. To be sure, I sometimes harvest slightly earlier than optimal, but I'm quite unconcerned about optimal. Perfect is the enemy of good.

Grow on.
Thanks! Lebanese sounds interesting, as I’m interested in land races. I’m wondering about getting some of my relatives in Eastern Europe to gather some seeds of the native ruderalis that grows there, just for shits and giggles. So it sounds like some autoflower genes will speed things up, even if the plant’s not totally autoflower? That’d be fun to experiment with.

Back
Top Bottom