Early Harvest: Too Early?

mrking

I have four outdoor plants, all high CBD strains, and today had to trim off four bud site due to bud rot. Grrr. Previously trimmed one.

I am only 5 weeks into flower and should take it 5 more. Concerned the bud rot will take the plant or spread to the other three plants so thinking of taking it down early.

Is 5 weeks into flower too early to harvest this one problematic plant or am I over reacting? Or should I harvest half to give more room for the other colas to breath?

Edit: I defoliators the crap out of it after cutting out the rotting buds.

Thanks!!

Inspect them, if no rot no harvest. Can u defoliate a bit? Maybe a picture?
I actually defoliate the crap out of it after cutting all the bud rot out. Forgot to take a photo and are now in the dark tent for the night. Doh. :straightface:

outdoor plants
in the dark tent for the night

You have less than 12 hours of uninterrupted darkness where you live? Or are attempting to shorten the flowering period by giving them more than 12 hours of darkness per day?

Yes, five weeks' worth of flowering on a ten-week strain is too early to harvest (IMHO).

I actually defoliate the crap out of it after cutting all the bud rot out.

So lots of open wounds on the plant for the infection to take hold of, then?

Is it powdery mildew or botrytis? If you decide to try to save the plant, you need to treat the entire plant, as there's a really good chance that, whatever it is, it's on more than just the parts of the plant that showed obvious signs of infection. The same would tend to hold true for other nearby plants. I'd want to separate the obviously affected from the possibly not affected plants ASAP, at minimum. Maybe dispose of the plant, but that's a judgment call.

Lost some really nice tops myself. Saved about 80% which is a lot better than nothing.
Absolutely. How did you save the 80%? Early harvest or just removing it as you saw it?

Absolutely. How did you save the 80%? Early harvest or just removing it as you saw it?
At the first sign of any mold (means the fungus gnats are already here) I harvested about 40%, mostly big buds. The stuff I let finish until a few days ago, I lost about 40% of the remaining tops to mold. It happens every year here in WA with the perfect storm of humidity, clouds, and this year the smoke.
It could be worse, sometimes the sun goes away even earlier in September and the buds never fill out at all.
This year I have no complaints- I still harvest almost 6000 grams (wet) from outdoors, should be almost 3 lbs dry.

At the first sign of any mold (means the fungus gnats are already here) I harvested about 40%, mostly big buds. The stuff I let finish until a few days ago, I lost about 40% of the remaining tops to mold. It happens every year here in WA with the perfect storm of humidity, clouds, and this year the smoke.
It could be worse, sometimes the sun goes away even earlier in September and the buds never fill out at all.
This year I have no complaints- I still harvest almost 6000 grams (wet) from outdoors, should be almost 3 lbs dry.
I am up in the Vancouver BC area, so kinda the same weather as you.

I guess, you try to save as much as you can while you can. I didn't see anything new this morning and will check again tonight. If anymore bud rot shows up, I'll take your route and save the largest colas while letting others go further. No way I am letting everything go to sh*t.

Thanks!

I am up in the Vancouver BC area, so kinda the same weather as you.

I guess, you try to save as much as you can while you can. I didn't see anything new this morning and will check again tonight. If anymore bud rot shows up, I'll take your route and save the largest colas while letter others go further. No way I am letting everything go to sh*t.

Thanks!
I hear that! I’d way rather have premature bud than deal with moldy bud later or worse have to throw it away. I was a little disgusted, but ultimately relieved.

Back
Top Bottom