Early onset dementia and PTSD

Newfun

Hi to the kindest smartest gardeners. Kind of gone a bit backwards with my intro. Not so online savvy.
Background for me - 57 wife of 32 years. Mother of 2 sons 32 and 24. Grandmother of 3. Grew up in large super stressed out family (the youngest of 8). I have PTSD. Was a smoker til 20. Stopped when I realized it was adding to anxiety and lethargy as aftermath.
Now PTSD is back. Open to any and all input for helpful cannabis tips.
Then there is my husband. He had a serious head injury (struck with a thrown tire iron) by an attacker in 1989. That started the beginning of Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) that has now progressed to early onset dementia. It is an odd disease. It has off and on symptoms. Mostly emotional, yelling, non stop talking, rage, paranoia, hyper focusing, OCD, forgetfulness, total lack of empathy, delusions of grandeur, etc. Trying to find anything that will help.
This disease is different than later onset dementia. Since it starts in the 30's on a healthy body, only the people (person/me) notice the changes and are the brunt of the outbursts. I didn't need a doctor to tell me, I knew it was the TBI. Maybe foolish but I have stayed with him. I know the real man.
Finally, last October I had him in for 72 hour lockup at the hospital. They confirmed TBI/early onset dementia. They say he probably has 8 years.
Myself and the kids say "let's make this the best damn 8 years ever".
That's why my PTSD is fully back and forced to early retirement.
I could write a book, movie, podcast, blog or a soap opera.
I know nothing about CBD. Read a lot about each step of growing. Now I am a sponge waiting for all the help you brilliant people can give me. Blessings of nature to all.

Welcome. Most of your answers will be in this section.

Thank you. Bedtime reading list is growing.

Attachments

• 20190619_165617_HDR.jpg
    20190619_165617_HDR.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 181
We have a member diagnosed with early onset dementia. She's been growing her own cannabis and making oils that actually help. I'll talk to her and see what she has to say.

Hi Newfun welcome to 420.
As far as PTSD, WW stops my head from "spinning" when something trigger's my PTSD. WW also helps nightmares and day time flashbacks.
WW= White Widow.

Wick :morenutes:

White Widow, White Russian, Northern Lights, and other strains are out there and we'll help you get whatever you need grown and tried until we get it right. Good introduction.

I know G2 is working with Bubba Kush right now. It’s s heavy indica and helps reduce triggering events.

I'm trying the Kush strain this time around. My newest little girl is OG Kush, I'm hoping for good results without couch lock like the WW gives me.

Hello NewFan. You have, in fact, found the most fabulously anxious to help family on the net!

There’s a great cadre of folks here that can offer more helpful specifics than I but I’d like to share a bit of my experience with some general recommendations and cautions.

In retrospect, I now realize I was battling symptoms of PTSD as far back as 1992 without knowledge of what it was. In 2003 my 27 year career as an electronics technician with USPS came to an abrupt end when I was forced to take a medical retirement for being “emotionally unfit for service”. It was suggested I seek treatment through the veterans administration. Here I was deemed 100% disabled and generously supplied with a labyrinth of mind altering pharmaceuticals. After 13 years of a near comatose state from these drugs, I started searching for an alternative. Rediscovering cannabis was literally life saving for me.

Cannabis has been at least as effective as the harsh pharmaceuticals WITH all symptoms associated with PTSD and far superior in many areas without the nasty side effects. However, after three years of experimentation I’m still searching for the utopian combination.

Due to anatomical diversity, treatments can tend to be a bit inconsistent from one individual to another. The one common thread that is nearly universal with cannabis medication, however, is the fact that most see an increase in compassion and a decrease in combative nature and that sounds like it may be advantageous for your family situation.

On the flip side, I’ve found dosage and strain can offer pitfalls. I’ve experienced the worst bout of depression and anxiety of my life by exceeding proper dosage with inappropriate cannabinoids so proceed with caution.

Good luck
BCDD

Hello NewFan. You have, in fact, found the most fabulously anxious to help family on the net!

There’s a great cadre of folks here that can offer more helpful specifics than I but I’d like to share a bit of my experience with some general recommendations and cautions.

In retrospect, I now realize I was battling symptoms of PTSD as far back as 1992 without knowledge of what it was. In 2003 my 27 year career as an electronics technician with USPS came to an abrupt end when I was forced to take a medical retirement for being “emotionally unfit for service”. It was suggested I seek treatment through the veterans administration. Here I was deemed 100% disabled and generously supplied with a labyrinth of mind altering pharmaceuticals. After 13 years of a near comatose state from these drugs, I started searching for an alternative. Rediscovering cannabis was literally life saving for me.

Cannabis has been at least as effective as the harsh pharmaceuticals WITH all symptoms associated with PTSD and far superior in many areas without the nasty side effects. However, after three years of experimentation I’m still searching for the utopian combination.

Due to anatomical diversity, treatments can tend to be a bit inconsistent from one individual to another. The one common thread that is nearly universal with cannabis medication, however, is the fact that most see an increase in compassion and a decrease in combative nature and that sounds like it may be advantageous for your family situation.

On the flip side, I’ve found dosage and strain can offer pitfalls. I’ve experienced the worst bout of depression and anxiety of my life by exceeding proper dosage with inappropriate cannabinoids so proceed with caution.

Good luck
BCDD

Can you share what strains and/or doses were good/bad?

My biggest enemy is insomnia. I seldom have problems falling asleep but my night is generally a series of short naps and between these periods is when I often experience some horrific depression. I exclusively use orally ingested medication. Heavy indica strains in doses between 10-25mg are the worst trigger. I’ve tried degrading thc to cbn with equally adverse effects in most any dose. Even using 25mg full spectrum CBD (thc content .273) also evokes depression to a lesser degree.
@10mg this same medicine offers a very relaxed sensation but short of inducing sleep.

I’ve recently adapted a new schedule that is offering some of the best sleep patterns I’ve experienced in years. And actually, I think it’s due to what I’m doing in the afternoon rather than the medication I’m taking just before bedtime.

I’m a firm believer that we’re losing a lot of goodness this miracle plant has to offer through extractions, infusions and assundried unnecessary manipulations. I, therefore, do a good decarb in my nova, finely grind the bud and use it directly in whatever form I can.

Shortly after lunch, I take a size 1 cap of moderately tamped bud (Dance World or Dlue Dream CBD, both supposedly a 1:1 ratio) to which I’ve added about 10 drops of tainted MCT oil. The MCT oil contains a 2% mixture of terpene additive (equal ratio of limonene, alpha-pinene, beta caryophyllene, linalool and myrcene and a 2% mixture of a Blue Dream ethanol extracted tincture.

This offers great emotional stability for me. The onset comes on in 30-60 minutes with a gradual ramp up to a mild peak at about 5 hours and often still able to recognize positive effects as long as 8 hours after medication.

By 9 pm my lunch medication has worn off and I then eat a buckeye candy with ground decarbed Bubba Kush. I summize that the dosage is about 10-15 mg of cannabinoids. I think the let down of the end of the lunch medication cycle coupled with the evening medication offers a timely combination I generally hit the bed at about 10 pm and am asleep in less than 30 minutes and enjoy about 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep.

A good strong cup of coffee in the morning seems to almost regenerate the cannabis effect and offers a bit of emotional stability through the morning hours.

Again, I reiterated, anatomical diversity can often cause inconsistencies but perhaps there’s something here that some may draw from. The strength offered from a forum is the composite of the knowledge of the members from which we may find useful tidbits that we may adapt to our own circumstances. So, there’s my 2 cents worth!

It takes experimentation unfortunatly. If you want to talk to someone with early onset dementia go to Instagram and say hi to @neurobrainiacs. She has numerous recipes that work.

Thanks to everyone. Great conversation. I have so much to learn. I am definitely going to try some of the WW and Northern Lights we have in veg stage. I take 2 meds. Effexor and Rexalti. Would like to be able to go without in the future.

Back
Top Bottom