Early Sexing Clones In Hempy Cups

BTzGrow

I'm trying an experiment with a CloneSeedling Box that can also be used for for other purposes. One is I would like to be able to know the sex of a grow much earlier with photos than waiting 60-90 days when flipped. So I created a Clone/Seedling box which I have a thread on. Since we are moving on past, I thought a Journal with regards to Clone Early Sexing could be interesting. Please understand this is completely experimental, so all contributions will be considered.

I was able to successfully clone to very nice roots using the Clonex System of products including Root Riot.
The next process is to move them into a Hempy Cup and as soon as it looks like a good transfer/re-potting then flip to 12/12 lighting.
So far this has been very easy process. Supposedly from the videos I've seen say that I can actually start the flip after I see roots. I don't know, those Root Riot Sponges have been getting stone hard between daily feelings. So I decide I wanted to experiment with another idea I'm been toying with, the Hempy Bucket. So I made Hempy Cups for Early Clone Sexing. As much as anything else, a purely educational experience to say the least.

Currently I'm using a 3/1 perlite/vermiculite mix with course perlite on the bottom to the upper level of the drain hole. Currently switched over to feeding with Dyan Gro Protek and Bloom at half strength. If it appears it needs more, can always add more to the next feeding. The idea is to push into at least some indication of what the donor plants sex is, as soon as possible. Not looking for any yield. the end goal is to create an easy quick way to determine a plants sex long before it shows any signs. If growing multiple plants in the same tent then even better to eliminate the males early and create more room for females. The other purpose of this experiment is test the idea of Hempy Cup Clone/Seedling to young veg plant in the tote while allowing time for previous grow to flower and be harvested. Finally I just want to explore the idea of transplanting Hempy grow to larger Hempy Pots, again getting a new crop started as the last crop is flowering to harvest point.

So I'll keep this up to date as best can. Planning on the flip tomorrow evening at lights out time. Keep you posted.

Interesting! I don't know how early you are taking your clones, but I wanted to jump in with a post from Cannabis Pre-Flowers: How to Tell Sex in the Vegetative Stage | Grow Weed Easy that says this at the bottom of the page:
"For example, say you take a clone of a seedling before it's 3 weeks old. It's possible that one clone will be male, and the other clone will be female. However, if you take a clone after week 3, the genders of clones will always match each other. This is further evidence to indicate that the environment can affect gender expression in some cases."

I'm on my first photo grow so I have no experience yet, but I thought you should be able to sex most plants by 60 days anyway.
So thought I and Bro FelipeBlu indicated that I should be seeing signs of sexual maturity. But Nada!

I guess part of the idea is also that there are some great deals and even free photo seeds out there. My brother recently found some seeds in a 1/2 oz of Sensi Star that I gave him over xmas. Being as they are Indica, which he's not into, they will come to me to play with. I have a buddy that was given 10 Gorilla Grape seeds in a FTP deal from his dispensary. He's offered them to me, if I give him some of the yield from time to time. As I haven't seen the package, I'm doubting they gave away Auto's or Fem's. Once I start growing and after they have gotten to the 3-4 week point, I'm thinking some early sexing by using clones will eliminate the extra effort being put into a plant that will be male. It will also open some room up in the grow space earlier on when very important.

Just a little update, I did a watering today and before adding I tilted the cups to see if there was much in the reservoir, didn't appear to be any, although I didn't tilt all the way 90degrees. Added 125ml of feed and got out about 10ml, so I'm considering 10% at this point to be good.

I had some left over's from my perilite and vermiculite that I used to make the cups. I let it dry and will put away to use in the future.
Cup on right is all the course Perlite I used at the bottom of the cup for the reservoir. The cup on left is the 3/1 mix. Really not that much, but why throw away.

Ok, so a little update. The attached photo is 48hrs after transplant and flipping to 12 hours of lights out from 11pm to 11am this morning. Picture made a bit after the feeding. Seems to be some new growth, which is exciting as I expected a certain amount of shock from the transplant.

As they say, the first step to recovery is to admit the problem. I would of course like to check in with your journal. Already actually took a short peek. Where and when in you journal did things start going down hill. I think my advantage at this point is I read quite a bit and watched several youtube vids, then I followed the Clonex procedure step by step. However now that I have stepped way off the reservation with the Hempy Cup and also gone immediately into 12/12 for sexing purposes all bets are off as to where this will lead. But then, isn't doing a home grow really just one experiment after another?

I like the name Aeronautic Cloninator, I tried to google it and came up with nothing. :) So I think you can claim the name as your invention. Good On Ya!!! :p I look forward to watching the building and seeing in action. I won't consider this cloning a success unless I can actually see some sex bits in the near future. Later on I would like to do some cloning off future well performing grows. Baby Steps I think they say. That's where I'm at.

Aeroponics, Damn that Spell Corrector. I see now what Aeroponics is. It's I think were you blow wet air up someones skirts? Check it out for real and it's a very cool idea. Still Aeroponics "Cloninator" is still very cool.

Very Cool! I like that basically all his materials came from the hardware store. I actually will only shop at that store. The other large Box store THD discriminates(No 10% Discount) against any veteran that didn't serve in a war zone. It also looked like he was using a similar 45gallon Sterilite Storage Tote which was sitting long ways up. Great choice for a grow box. Thanks for sharing, lots of ideas.

Growth as of March 8th, I'm posting a photo next to it from my initial planting day to compare the growth in just a few short days.

Back
Top Bottom