Early veg stage question: preparing for my second grow

Hi Everyone -

I am prepping for my second grow. This time I am running two 5x5s. The original tent is a Topolite that's 6'11" tall and by necessity will have my original crappy blurples - 2 1200 watt Maxisuns with godawful 10 watt leds. Lmao. BUT - having used them by necessity on my first grow, I did manage to get something out of them and I know their height over canopy limitations, temperatures they put off, etc...and there are 2400 watts of them (on paper, obviously much closer to maybe 1000 watts, but enough). So that's tent one. Tent two is the new Gorilla with 1 foot extension piece so it will be 7'11" tall and will contain my new light, the G8 C3 Enhanced Full Spectrum LED with flower booster. It's on par with the Gavita 1700e Pro, according to the numbers (we'll see).

That's background, so you know the size of my space and the lights. I have all the other appropriate fans, filters, etc. I will be using identical soil for both tents, which is a base 50/50 blend of Fox Farms Ocean Forest and Fox Farms Happy Frog, to which I will add perlite/vermiculite ending up with 80% soil blend, 20% perlite/vermiculite in equal parts. I have the Fox Farms Trio of nutrients. Smart Pots, 3 and 5 gallon.

Here's the seeds I have right now, all from the strong seedbanks:

Cinderella Jack Autoflower
Gorilla Zkittlez Autoflower
Pineapple Upside Down Cake (from Humboldt, not the Surfr version) photoperiod feminized
Blueberry photoperiod feminized
Chunky Diesel photoperiod feminized

My plan is to grow the autos in the blurples tent and the photoperiod plants in the G8 tent. I have to choose, and I'd rather grow the autos than a regular grow under the blurples. Besides, the Gorilla tent is taller and I can grow big plants in it. I have never grown autos, but have researched extensively and feel fairly comfortable with growing them. So I was going to grow four plants in each tent. I know I could fit more in each tent, but I am going for a nice SCROG with fewer plants, and I will keep them in veg for a longer time. Obviously that is not an issue with the autoflowers. I can SCROG them, but obviously I can't control how long they stay in veg. So I'm going to grow two Cinderella Jack and two Gorilla Zkittlez in the auto tent and two Pineapple Upside Down Cake and two Blueberry in the photoperiod tent. That's the plan. Beginning February 1.

HERE'S MY QUESTION!!!! (and thanks if you got this far) -

I'm going with a 20/4 light cycle on the autos, and they will be in 3 gallon pots. The photoperiod plants will grow in 5 gallon pots. I am going to start the photoperiod plants in Dixie cups and transplant into the five gallon pots, so as to better establish a new root system. BUT...it would be a lot easier if I could sprout all the seeds in the same tent and let them stay in the same tent until the photoperiod plants get big enough to transplant. I am 100% certain that growing them in Dixie cups just til they go into their pots would work fine under the blurples - they have plenty of veg light for seedlings. What I'm wondering is, could I grow photoperiod plants from sprout to transplant size under a 20/4 light cycle and then switch to 18/6 after transplanting and relocating into the Gorilla tent, then proceed as normal?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Thanks for the feedback! So you would recommend bringing the light up slowly to 100% after transplant, like over the course of a week or so, and gradually lower it to the canopy?

Much slower actually. I use this schedule that i learned from an experienced grower:
Seedling: 200-300 par
Early veg: 300-400 par
Switch: 500 par
Mid bloom: 600-750 par
Peak bloom: 750-900 par
Ripen: slowely back to 400 par at the last few days

You can probably find 'PAR maps' for different heights from your lamp in the information from the producer.

So, basically only during peak flower I'm running my light at full strength.

Much slower actually. I use this schedule that i learned from an experienced grower:
Seedling: 200-300 par
Early veg: 300-400 par
Switch: 500 par
Mid bloom: 600-750 par
Peak bloom: 750-900 par
Ripen: slowely back to 400 par at the last few days

You can probably find 'PAR maps' for different heights from your lamp in the information from the producer.

So, basically only during peak flower I'm running my light at full strength.
I see. Interesting. There seem to be several schools of thought on this. Thank you for the feedback. As usual, now I have to do more research. Lol. :Rasta:

Back
Top Bottom