Earthworms in soil?

That’s what I was talking about Northern...
I know, 013 - there's just way more journal reading I'd like to do than there there are hours in the day... Been reading there now :)

If you have a hydroponics store near you, get to know the owner or one of the employees.
No such stores around here. I have to do all my grow gear and supplies shopping online, except for some of the most common generic gardening stuff. However, I have the 420 forums "near me", so I'm not lacking access to expert advice :thumb:

IMG20200118113024.jpg

Hi all
Your on the right track
Adding worms is vital
*The worms from the worm farm don't go to well in pots or gardens, WHY ??? I'm not sure, maybe the farm is better ?? I found they escaped.
*Worms from your compost bin love pots and gardens.

This is my personal experience with worms.

*Worms from your compost bin love pots and gardens.
What kind of nutrients, if any, are you using?

I just added 8-10 worms from the compost in each of two new pots a couple of days ago. Some have already escaped and died, and I found a couple of dead ones on top of the soil. It's kind of heartbreaking - hopefully the remaining worms work the soil and have fulfilling little lives for a while...

I just added 8-10 worms from the compost in each of two new pots a couple of days ago. Some have already escaped and died, and I found a couple of dead ones on top of the soil. It's kind of heartbreaking - hopefully the remaining worms work the soil and have fulfilling little lives for a while...
If soil is either too wet or too dry and if synthetic salt based nutrients are used then they are likely to bail.
A little cover crop and a thick mulch layer usually work wonders.
They like a little food also, I feed mine Bokashi and the occasional organic banana peel, also I don't strain my Sprouted Seed Teas like corn or alfalfa, just add that right to soil.

I make my own worm tea

Here my mix ratio for dirt
Garden dirt 40%
Castings 40%
Compost 20%
Mulch on top of your dirt as the casting will dry up hard.

Are you putting food scraps in your pots to keep them there.
Watermelon is worms favourite

Are you putting food scraps in your pots to keep them there.
No, but I'll try to give them a little bread and fruit.

Somwehere I have a bag of bark chips that I can cover the soil with. Maybe a little inconvenient during watering, but if the worms like it, It may be worth it. Of course the salt based nutes are still there, not helping the worms...

Here's the buckets with a little mulch/bark and some bits of apple on top. To celebrate I had a dozen new worms move in, so there so be twenty-something in each bucket now. Tomorrow they'll get a little bread. If you look carefully at the pics, you can make out a couple of worms in each of them :)

I'm a little worried about the watering - is there a chance of rotten fruit and moldy bark? Should that perhaps be removed when watering?

Day_7_Pippi_II.JPG

Day_14_Bettina.JPG

Place fruit under soil or it will attract all the bugs and pests. Don't use bread, use veggies and fruit scraps.
Normal water I don't move the bark
Worm tea I scrap the bark to the side and water the place bark on top.

If you want your worms to stay
Watermelon, and lettuce.
My worms will eat your fingers off if you bring some melon anywhere near them
I hear them as I walk past

Daddy daddy we want melon

Every morning I tell them to shut up and get to work.

I have full-grow survivor worms! :) :) :)

After more than 3 months, there are still live worms in my buckets :D

The difference from previous runs is that they got some food. A few bits of apple pushed just beneath the soil surface. Stands to reason too - I mean, it's not exactly unreasonable to need food for survival... :cheesygrinsmiley:

The worms have moved into the next buckets. It'll be interesting to see how they continue to fare.

That is a very valuable observation! Of course! Apples! Everyone knows that worms like apples, it's almost iconic. But you took it to the next level with this experiment and I will definitely now need to try this in order to feed my container worms instead of the lettuce and other things I have tried. I am planning on getting a LOS container going over the winter months, and this is good and timely information to know. Thank you!

:thanks::circle-of-love:

Back
Top Bottom