Ebb & Flow #2

Hey @BTzGrow
Great setup. My kinda stuff! I love Hydroponics and love inexpensive DIY stuff even more. You sure we aint related? haha
Glad I found your spot on here.
Certainly related in spirit! Welcome, this is going to be an interesting grow.

I love engineering things and making something that fits most closely with my personal needs. So many times, the products are available but are either too big or not big enough and lack something I want. So I would end up engineering something I purchase for more money just to have to fix or adjust it to my situation.

I like the idea of being given an idea or realizing I have a need of something and then figuring out what is out there, how someone else did it and perhaps I can improve on it and have it cost me less. Much satisfaction indeed. I know you feel me on that.

How many times do you flood the upper tank a day BTzG?
Gussing if its on a timer you averaging a couple feeds a day and increasing going into flower?
Does the risk of suffocating the roots in air go up drastically ?
I'm using coco so know it isnt same but essentially the pearlite is acting as the sponge for nutes and water and releasing over time to plant.
This is another highly oxigenated water method, guessing yields are above avg with this method?
Btw if you have plans, lets us have them, even if we squirrel them for later.
:thumb:
I have the timer currently set on every 4 hours. Initially I flooded it every 2.5 to 3hrs. during early seedling start while the roots were seeking the bottom of the pot where the water floods. I'm feeling that will be the normal time for flowering also. The Perlite does wick moisture up and the roots just seek out all the nutrient mix in the nooks and crannies.

I'm not sure about the suffocating of the roots. I know I currently have a few ambitious roots already sticking out of the pot and laying in the remaining water in the tray.

I have heard that people use the same tech for CoCo, I just don't have experience with that media.

My understanding it the process does create an oxygen rich feed for the plants so I agree the yield should be excellent. The movement of the nutrition/water mix moving through the system introduces Oxygen into the liquid.

I'm going to post a DIY journal with a list of the materials I have used including the Tote and Tray. I personally feel this is a perfect size and resource for growing 4 plants in a smaller space. This size will also allow for me to have two systems side by side in my 2x4 Gorilla Grow tent.

Thank you for spreading the love!
Yes, we love spreading the love of something that is so simple and works so awesome. So a special shout out and thanks for a great idea for others to use to you @HydroRed .

Ahh, now i get it. Thanks for that mate. Its just one of these things ive never learned about.

Are their any downsides youve found with the ebb and flo method?
Am i right in thinking its mostly passive hydro? By that i mean that the plant isnt feeding directly from the res so the ppm and ph shouldnt really change much?
You are most welcome and I'm glad you were able to catch my explanation.

I haven't discovered any real downsides as of yet. I am seeing a little film of algae in the clear tray and plan of cleaning it each time I change the reservoir. I have a water level tube on the side that is clear and it also has algae in it. I don't feel the Algae actually causes any real problems though.

I believe you are spot on with the passive hydro term. I have called just doing the Hempy Bucket the same process, although that is also call "pour to waste". In this case the waste recycles back and self balances.

A nice health plant with a good nutritional mix and proper pH should keep the ppm well balanced as the water level drops. At least that's my understanding from my brother @FelipeBlu and his expertise with plant chemistry. The first batch of water/nutrient I mixed was constantly needed the pH adjusted. This second batch is staying fairly stable as is the ppm. I'm running a ppm level of around 750 and the plants are looking extremely health.

Pictures should follow soon.

615F9BDC-41C8-4E97-8AA3-BC6D66431F64.jpeg

A little photo update for this grow from this morning.
I'm planning to Up Pot and finish the Ebb & Flow system tomorrow afternoon. Need to get it working and stabilized before next week.

It still looks like cannabis. Good job. The thrips are kicking my ass. Damn bugs.
:laughtwo::yummy:
Thanks, they do look a lot like Cannabis. Good thing :p

I had thrips with one grow and fortuately caught them early and I was able to get rid of all. Whew! Best of luck!

Insecticidal soap. Dr bronners With mint, and cayenne pepper.
I haven’t tried neem. I have a bud that swears by azamax.....
I don’t feel like using azamax.

It’s outside in a greenhouse. It’s been well documented that Thrips love greenhouses.
Basically have to keep up with spraying and drenching. But when they flower I feel pretty defenseless.

Spinosad FTW. Monterey Garden Insect Spray will get it done in like 3 days.
Amazing stuff and very safe/non-systemic. OMRI approved.
(sorry @BTzGrow for jumping on the thread, but Im new and cant send pm's yet but really wanted to help Cattle.)
No problem We are all here to help. When you have something to help this is the place to do it.
I was going to suggest spinosad so great minds think alike. I'm sure @FelipeBlu as already going to be adding a third vote for the same.

Good Morning to all. A successful day yesterday in setting up my second Ebb&Flow system for this grow. I created a DIY Journal for the project Ebb & Flow DIY Project .

Here is a picture of the clones in this grow moved into their new home.

I buried the root riots rather deep and feel the recovery will be quick once the roots start receiving nutrition in the next few days.

I see you found some black pots like the white ones. And you’re still using the smaller perlite. I had issues with that stuff trickling out of the 1/2” hole every time it flooded/drained. Are the holes/slots on these pots small enough to prevent that?

Back
Top Bottom