Ebb & Flow DIY Project

BTzGrow

A while back my brother @FelipeBlu brought the idea of Ebb & Flow to my attention as he was creating a setup for his outdoor vegetable grow. It intrigued me as I had issues with leaving my grows for more than a day or so.

So he shared a thread from @HydroRed on the subject and I took it from there.

To start with lets run this diagram to show the basic concept. It looks quite simple actually just putting all the pieces together and it should go nicely.

So I started with looking at Target and finding a Storage Tote and a smaller Clear Storage Tray that fit perfect on top.
Sterilite 15gal Industrial Tote Black With Yellow Lid And Latches $9.89
Sterilite 28qt Clear Plastic Under Bed Storage Bin Clear with White Lid $4.49

I initially fit 6 one gallon pots in place to see what it would look like.
Here's what it looks like in a 2x2 tent.
My final destination for the Ebb&Flow Totes will be in my Gorilla Grow tents. a 2x2.5 and my 2x4 Gorilla Grow Flowering tent. If this system works as planned I hope to be able to put two of the totes in the 2x4 tent side by side.

Next I checked out Amazon for the Ebb and Flow fittings. Hydrofarm Active Aqua Fill/Drain Combo Kit $6.95 and a Submersible Pump.
For this tote Ebb&Flow I used a Hydrofarm AAPW160 Active Aqua Submersible Water Pump, 160 GPH
$13.49
For my second Ebb&Flow system I went with a Hydrofarm Active Aqua AAPW250 Submersible Water Pump, 250 GPH $21.95 with a
Active Aqua Bottom Draw Pump Adapter, 3/4"$8.97
That looks like this with the two items assembled.

Part of the reason with the larger GPH and also the Bottom Draw Adapter is it will be in a 7.5gal food quality bucket sitting below the Sterlite 28qt Clear Tray and will need to pump approximately 3.5 feet up instead of only about 15inches in the tote. Submersible pumps have something I think is called Head Pressure. It is the maximum height the pump can push the water up vertically. Good to know when making a system.

My original Tote design has a single fill and drain fitting with two overflow drains at 3inches above the bottom of the tray. Think of the overflow drains as what you see in a lavatory sink. You don't want a problem with a clog and find water everywhere and a big mess to clean up.

So that is the start of things for this DIY journal.

Part Two - Final Assembly and operation.

Pump inside the Tote and Tray on top of Tote with the Ebb & Flow Fittings. Test and working well with no leaks. Kinda Important.
This was my first setup with only one overflow. the pencil showed me that I need the fill and drain in the middle. Since I had a hole on that side I filled it with a second overflow. I like that better anyway.

I put another fitting down on the bottom of the tote with a clear tube and valve for a couple of reasons.
First it will give me a easy method for draining the tote. Second with it raised and secured vertically it gives me the opportunity to have a liquid level gauge.

Here's the final Setup in the smaller 2x2 Veg Tent.

Part Three - Putting it into action.

With a couple of test runs to verify operation it was time to put the plants in place set the time interval and see how it all works.
Here we have a fill and drain operation. You can see in the second picture the level is at the 3inch line and draining out of the overflow drains which are located on either side between the pots.
These pictures are from July 18th.

Here's the latest pictures from yesterday August 12th.
Current height is approximately 12 inches. There is some algae growing in the clear tray with tons of water roots feeding the small amount of water/nutrient mix that remains after each flood and and drain session.

Current timer setting is every 4hours during lights on. I don't flood during lights off.

With the success of the first Ebb & Flow Tote system. I decided to put another system into play with my small 2x2 tent. It has only the Sterilite 28qt Clear Plastic Under Bed Storage Bin Clear with White Lid $4.49 with a single Hydrofarm Active Aqua Fill/Drain Combo Kit $6.95 . Using a 7.5 gallon food grade bucket with the
Hydrofarm Active Aqua AAPW250 Submersible Water Pump, 250 GPH $21.95 with a Active Aqua Bottom Draw Pump Adapter, 3/4"$8.97
The Reservoir Bucket sits under the shelf holding the small tent.
I have a valve on the tube from the submersible pump to the fill and drain fitting.
My thought for that is I can use it to pump the bucket out when change the nutrient mix.

Here's the setup for the clear tray with Ebb&Flow Fittings.
Filling -
Daining -
Full and in the overflow mode -

I potted up the four plants I had in the Veg tent in 4 square pots that fit like the white ones in the other system and it 's ready to go.

I set the timer on a 3hour schedule initially as the plants still need to get their roots down to the bottom of the pots.

So there you have my Ebb & Flow DIY setup for two systems. I will be building a couple more for the 2x4 Flowering tent. With the individual systems. All I need to do is move the plants in their pots from one station to the next and leave the reservoir/trays in place. Wish me luck.

Part Three - Putting it into action.

With a couple of test runs to verify operation it was time to put the plants in place set the time interval and see how it all works.
Here we have a fill and drain operation. You can see in the second picture the level is at the 3inch line and draining out of the overflow drains which are located on either side between the pots.
These pictures are from July 18th.

Here's the latest pictures from yesterday August 12th.
Current height is approximately 12 inches. There is some algae growing in the clear tray with tons of water roots feeding the small amount of water/nutrient mix that remains after each flood and and drain session.

Current timer setting is every 4hours during lights on. I don't flood during lights off.

Pretty awesome. i need to try this some time. i'm bookmarking this for when i do. thanks.

Very well put... You've actually piqued my interest, I've never really looked into ebb and flow, but now, hmmm...
Thanks for taking the time to write it up...

:thumb:
Thanks for dropping in. I like keeping a journal of my efforts. I had some others interested in how it was done so it serves the purpose quite well. They were also interested in my building materials. The results with my first 4 plants since July 18th have been really awesome. They are just about ready to flip to flower.

Pretty awesome. i need to try this some time. i'm bookmarking this for when i do. thanks.
Glad you liked it. I really think it's going to be a time saver for me. Over the last 2plus weeks all I have been doing is checking my nutrient ppm and pH each day. I just changed the water Nutrient mix this afternoon. It's the second time for my first system since July 18th.

Looking good are u goin to start lst
I started with 4 Triple Cheese clones in each system. I went with clones in the first couple of runs because if I have a failure I don't lose any seeds that are expensive. I'm already a little impatient for these to move on so I can drop some Autos I want to get started.

Another part of this process is the care and feeding. @FelipeBlu shared this chart showing the process of monitoring the nutrient levels and pH to maintain the process.
I use ppm instead of EC but the conversion is quite simple.

.1 EC is 50ppm and .2 EC is 100ppm.

Currently I'm targeting 750ppm at 5.75pH. Monitoring once a day around 10am each morning. So far with the #1 system the last two weeks stayed right in that zone the entire time. So the PPM was Static and the pH was stable. Perfect!

I figure I will plan on a change every two weeks initially and see how that works.

Looking good Bro!
Here’s the tomatoes with a 27 gallon tote for a reservoir
July 1

0971DEF3-F0BF-4DB1-8EC0-6F11CDFC8B2A.jpeg

August 10
60A9FD21-75CF-4219-B749-2EB5CB67467F.jpeg

Love this write up and may actually copy what you did here.

If you had to re do this whole thing for a 2x2 tent. What would you have changed?

How well did this hempy ebb n flow actually work instead of hand watering hempy buckets? Any feedback would be super ;)

Love this write up and may actually copy what you did here.

If you had to re do this whole thing for a 2x2 tent. What would you have changed?

How well did this hempy ebb n flow actually work instead of hand watering hempy buckets? Any feedback would be super ;)
Thanks, it's still a work in progress.

The tote used for the reservoir does fit into a 2x2 tent. The issues is that it raises the plant up quite a bit so a taller tent in needed. Also attention to how high the plant might grow. My current plants are monsters and I should have perhaps flipped them much earlier. With stretch basically over these plants would already be in the light except for the super cropping I've been doing.

One aspect with regards to doing Hempy method would not to use pots as I have that have holes down the sides and on the bottom. I feel for Hempy to work there should remain a reservoir in the plant bucket and let the roots feed from there and fill the pot. My current plants didn't fill the perlite completely and don't have the root structure I feel they need.

So next time starting soon, I will use a Hempy Bucket with several holes drilled 2inches above the bottom and another 2 or 3 at the 3inch mark to use at additional fill level. Timer to flood the larger tray will most likely be once a day before lights go off. That will fill the plant bucket and drain down to the 2inch level of the Hempy Bucket reservoir.

Hope that is helpful.

I understand exactly what your saying, makes perfect sence to me ;)

Do you feel that fabric grow bags would work well with this setup? Cause thats what I imagine when I seen your ebb n flow.

My tent is 2x2x6.5 ft so height isn't much of an issue for me.

OTE="BTzGrow, post: 4622881, member: 320113"]
Thanks, it's still a work in progress.

The tote used for the reservoir does fit into a 2x2 tent. The issues is that it raises the plant up quite a bit so a taller tent in needed. Also attention to how high the plant might grow. My current plants are monsters and I should have perhaps flipped them much earlier. With stretch basically over these plants would already be in the light except for the super cropping I've been doing.

One aspect with regards to doing Hempy method would not to use pots as I have that have holes down the sides and on the bottom. I feel for Hempy to work there should remain a reservoir in the plant bucket and let the roots feed from there and fill the pot. My current plants didn't fill the perlite completely and don't have the root structure I feel they need.

So next time starting soon, I will use a Hempy Bucket with several holes drilled 2inches above the bottom and another 2 or 3 at the 3inch mark to use at additional fill level. Timer to flood the larger tray will most likely be once a day before lights go off. That will fill the plant bucket and drain down to the 2inch level of the Hempy Bucket reservoir.

Hope that is helpful.
[/QUOTE]

I understand exactly what your saying, makes perfect sence to me ;)

Do you feel that fabric grow bags would work well with this setup? Cause thats what I imagine when I seen your ebb n flow.

My tent is 2x2x6.5 ft so height isn't much of an issue for me.

I'm not sure about fabric pots as I would only consider them for soil and I use perlite with my hempy process.

On another note here is a picture of my plants in my 6'5" tent with the lights as high as they can be adjusted.
Over two weeks ago. They are much taller now.

I'm not sure about fabric pots as I would only consider them for soil and I use perlite with my hempy process.

On another note here is a picture of my plants in my 6'5" tent with the lights as high as they can be adjusted.
Over two weeks ago. They are much taller now.

Do you think the pearlite in fabric bags float? Cause my hempy also use pearlite.

Nice lookin tent

Do you think the pearlite in fabric bags float? Cause my hempy also use pearlite.

Nice lookin tent
I don't know about the Fabric Pot with Perlite floating. Might require an experiment??? Let me know how that works. Using a Fabric pot could be interesting and the roots wouldn't come out of the pot.

The tent is a Gorilla Grow Tent. I have two. a 2x2.4 with an extension to make it 6.5ft. The 2x4 didn't need an extension, but they sell them in 1 or 2 foot versions. Can you imagine a 8.5foot tent??? Wow!

Back
Top Bottom