EC Meter, aka PPM Meter, Review Thread

Jaz

I scored one of these you-beaut (you-shite) jobbies from eBay for under $20 (AUD). The video below had me intrigued; I thought since they can be calibrated, they may be a decent meter.

This unit has a Vivosun stamp on it but the buttons don't perform the same as in the video.

My guess is these units are like those Hebe vapes where every man and his Snoop Dogg pay a Chinese company to stick their logo on it and then on-sell it for twice or three times the price as the unbranded ones.
These blue ones go by various other names from what I've seen on y/t.

There's also unbranded white EC meters on eBay from under $10 which look identical bar the colour, the same button arrangement and I think the only difference between the higher priced ones is the carry case, which probably cost as much as the unit itself to manufacture, lol.

Don't ask me why there's a window in the case, you can't exactly dip the thing in solution while in the case so there's no need for a window to see the reading on the screen.

1.jpg

I've seen vids of people reviewing these meters for their hydro setups, straight out of the box with no hint of calibration; they don't have a clue!

Review:
First test, placing it in no-name distilled water:

2a.png

A shake dry and then into Analytical Reagent, it was climbing and took quite a few minutes to settle @ 1200 μS/cm, not exactly accurate (I took a photo to save for the supplier should I need it).

Unlike the video, it took a bit of jiggery-pokery to figure out how to calibrate this one. The numbers (and letters) flash after you hold the Mode/Cal button in EC mode and instead of the up/down arrows, I was able to increase the reading using the on/off button instead but not in single digit increments like the vid; it jumps @20-30 or so with each press and it goes lower by pressing the Hold button and at the same @20-30 rate so I didn't get it exact but I was able to get very close.

3.jpg

I have to be honest, once calibrated this thing is surprisingly accurate, hitting the same numerical value each time I took it out and put it back into the solution over quite some time.

The downside:
I measured my tap water and after a clean I measured the solution again; it read @ 1500 μS/cm - this particular unit is not worthy of my stamp of Quality Assurance.

I took a photo and sent it with the first pic to the supplier letting him know his product isn't consistent, expecting to 'Return to Sender' his package for a replacement/refund.

His reply:
To avoid further inconvenience, we will refund you full money and you don't need to return it. Is that ok?

I can accept that, so I guess this is now my EC meter, though I'll probably end up using the battery to power my calculator.

I suspect the supplier is a distributor selling various Chinese products and has no idea about EC meters, no offer of replacement, just refund the customer, keep the feedback positive to keep selling more to unsuspecting buyers.

Conclusion:
If you have a thing for Measurements and Instrumentation, accuracy and precision or taking regular measurements for your hydroponic system and require accuracy - I do not recommend it.

I may've got a dud unit but my gut tells me all the variants will be pretty much the same; you get what you pay for.

If you're doing the odd measurement you could absolutely use this for 'relative' measurements.
i.e. it'll be able to tell if your run-off is higher or lower than what you're putting in.
As you can see, it can tell you no-name distilled water is near 0, my tap water reads about 200 μS/cm +/- 50 μS/cm depending on temp and the reagent varies between 1200 and 1500 depending on temp and how it feels at the time, lol.

Before I put it in the bin, lol, I'd put this in the Low Accuracy/High Precision category and once calibrated it was both Accurate and Precise but for who knows how long and whether it's consistent in other fluids. That wild 1500 μS/cm reading doesn't give me confidence in this unit.

5.png

I did recalibrate again and it's reading accurately so if you're prepared to calibrate regularly you may find it useful.
The following day after placing it in the solution it was still reading in the ballpark, a day later and the result was varying throughout the day, up to 150 μS/cm off the reagent scale.

Apparently the older versions had a calibration screw under the fascia sticker but the newer models have the calibration built into the programming.

6.jpg

This unit is calibrated to the 500ppm NaCl standard a.k.a. TDS - total dissolved solids where ppm = EC x 500

For those that don't know, different ppm standards are used, ppm500 tends to be common but some articles/books/manufacturers/nutrient suppliers use the 700ppm KCl standard, so keep that in mind if you're following ppm recommendations or better still start using EC instead of ppm as EC is a worldwide standard that doesn't change across continents, etc.

Keen to read reviews of other models from other members here.

j

You can actually measure EC with a DVOM. Here's one method:

It came to me while under the influence - I haven't tested the Temperature (T) feature of this unit.

I recall Dr. Karl saying if you study under the influence of a substance then ideally you should take the exam under the influence of that same substance. It's something to do with memory recall being better when the brain being in the same state as when the incident occurred; which says something about my university days. :laughtwo:

Anyway, some of you may recall from your chemistry lectures, (without going into complex equations and formulas), the EC of a solution increases with temperature so I really should check to see if it's reading T correctly.

I don't know whether this unit is programmed to measure EC as a function of temperature or it measures temp separate to EC so it could be more accurate than I thought if the temp is throwing out the calibration according to the chart on the reagant bottle. Perhaps @VIVOSUN can fill us in?

Winding back the clock and going old-school (literally), I got out my trusty mercury thermometer. You guessed right, it's the very same style we used in our science labs... if you went to school last century.

No need to panic, I won't be getting out the slide rule for this lesson, :laughtwo: thankfully that thing's deep in storage.

Experiments done at home, not under lab conditions.

Straight out of the case, EC meter placed in reagant at room temp and it needs to be recalibrated, very disappointing that it didn't keep the calibration from the last usage.
a (1).jpg

Calibrated to reagent, note that EC meter temp is @ 1°C higher than the thermometer.
a (2).jpg

First test, placing reagent and instruments into hot water bath, temperature raised and readings taken upon decline to room temp.
a (4).jpg

I took it up to the 60's and recorded the temp vs EC and disappointingly when it came down to room temp, the calibration was way off, reading 1170μS/cm at 21.6°C instead of @ 1304μS/cm.

I recalibrated and did the experiment again but only took it to the upper temp limits on the table on the side of the reagent bottle, again it settled way off at 1180μS/cm at 21°C. Coincidentally it's very close to the reading from when I took it out of the case initially. Perhaps it defaults to that range.
xb.png

^ The green line represents the temps and EC readings on the reagent bottle label.
The blue line is the Vivosun reading and the red line is the mercury thermometer reading, since only the Vivosun has an EC reading, each EC data point taken has a corresponding temp for the EC meter and thermometer reading.
You'll notice the red and blue dots, pair up horizontally with the reading on the y-axis.

Looking at the results above, the meter's temp readings are more inaccurate at the higher temps
As the temp is lowered (left to right along x axis) both temps meet @21°C but as mentioned, the EC reading is way off.

Second test, after recalibrating again, placing reagent and instruments into ice cube and water bath, the temperature lowered and readings were taken as the temps increased to room temp., note that EC meter temp is again @ 1°C higher than the thermometer.
a (6).jpg

xa.png

From the graph above the EC meter and thermometer match at 8°C and are within 1°C of each other on incline.

This meter's temp reading is more accurate below room temp than it is above - from my experiments.
The eBay advertisement claimed, 'Ultrahigh Accuracy'. :laughtwo:
The spec. in the ad states 'Accuracy: ±2%' but if my thermometer is correct, it's clearly not the case.

@VIVOSUN, looking at your tents, fans, etc., it does look like your other products are of far better quality than this unit and I hope that's the case, perhaps you should look for an alternative supplier for your EC meters?

;)

j

Ultrahigh might be Swahili for "absolutely no," lol.

That looks like the standard junk Chinese device that used to be priced at $9.99 to $14.99, depending on what color dye they put in the plastic, and what company name they printed on it.

Next time, try a Milwaukee Instruments EC60. Costs a bit more. Probably because it works. It has ATC.

That looks like the standard junk Chinese device that used to be priced at $9.99 to $14.99, depending on what color dye they put in the plastic, and what company name they printed on it.

My guess is these units are like those Hebe vapes where every man and his Snoop Dogg pay a Chinese company to stick their logo on it and then on-sell it for twice or three times the price as the unbranded ones.

9d61b2_a7d5911656094174ab3f97924589d52d~mv2.png

;)

j

This is actually incredible, thank you for taking the time to do this!

I don't suppose you could do something similar for one of them small dehumidifier units, eh? lol

This is actually incredible, thank you for taking the time to do this!

Thank you!

It's nice to know my efforts are appreciated... unlike another forum I was a member of.
:rolleyes:
As soon as I learnt one of the major trolls was a sock of one of the admins - I was outta there!
Some time before that I even suspected another major troll was a sock of one of the other admins.
Haven't been back.

I don't suppose you could do something similar for one of them small dehumidifier units, eh? lol

Are you going to send me a small dehumidifier unit and testing equipment?

:laughtwo:

If I ever get one, I probably would in fact.

j

If you're not doing your gardening in a sauna, New Orleans, or the like, good airflow is probably a better solution than a small dehumidifier. Most often, when I see one (in regards to an indoor garden), the gardener has placed it inside the garden space - but then runs an exhaust fan. Which is roughly analogous to someone deciding to go for a bicycle ride, but first breaking one of their legs with a hammer. Or, I suppose, too turning your air conditioner on and then opening your doors and windows.

Plants take up moisture via their roots, and then transpire it via their stomata. Rather than using a machine that slowly removes moisture from the air by cooling a set of metal tubes until moisture condenses on them and, eventually, drips down into a pan (while also producing a significant amount of heat, in most cases)... just continually exchange the air in the garden with fresh air from somewhere else.

Unless you're doing a sealed garden setup, of course, which is a different situation.

Also remember that warmer air can hold more moisture than cooler air (and that 86°F is fine for cannabis plants unless they're not receiving an adequate amount of light-energy). That's why the term *relative* humidity is used - in a sealed room, which guarantees moisture cannot escape, if you increase the temperature, you will see the relative humidity fall. Although, if you've got some large, healthy plants in there, they'll increase it again as they self-cool in much the same way that we do, lol.

I bought this brand. It cost around $140. It does pH, EC and temperature at the same time. You can buy a new end piece if you need to. I also got the calibration solution to check it's reading correctly. It's pretty accurate as far as I can tell. I could have got the blue lab one, but those ones only do pH or EC, not both. And they're $120 each. The blue lab pens are a better quality tool but I'm happy with what I have.

IMG20220713142356.jpg

IMG20220713142320.jpg

IMG20220713142252.jpg

IMG20220713142237.jpg

IMG20220713142233.jpg

IMG20220713142220.jpg

IMG20220713142215.jpg

If you're not doing your gardening in a sauna, New Orleans, or the like, good airflow is probably a better solution than a small dehumidifier. Most often, when I see one (in regards to an indoor garden), the gardener has placed it inside the garden space - but then runs an exhaust fan. Which is roughly analogous to someone deciding to go for a bicycle ride, but first breaking one of their legs with a hammer. Or, I suppose, too turning your air conditioner on and then opening your doors and windows.

Plants take up moisture via their roots, and then transpire it via their stomata. Rather than using a machine that slowly removes moisture from the air by cooling a set of metal tubes until moisture condenses on them and, eventually, drips down into a pan (while also producing a significant amount of heat, in most cases)... just continually exchange the air in the garden with fresh air from somewhere else.

Unless you're doing a sealed garden setup, of course, which is a different situation.

Also remember that warmer air can hold more moisture than cooler air (and that 86°F is fine for cannabis plants unless they're not receiving an adequate amount of light-energy). That's why the term *relative* humidity is used - in a sealed room, which guarantees moisture cannot escape, if you increase the temperature, you will see the relative humidity fall. Although, if you've got some large, healthy plants in there, they'll increase it again as they self-cool in much the same way that we do, lol.
According to this website, they say dehudifying during flower may be beneficial to trichome production 7 Ways to Improve Cannabis Bud Quality | Grow Weed Easy

"During the flowering stage, your cannabis plants actually prefers less humidity!

Decreasing moisture in the air (lowering the humidity) during the flowering stage helps prevent mold and actually may increase trichome production in your buds! For best results, keep humidity 40%-50% during the flowering stage.

Lower humidity levels in the flowering stage helps promote trichome production, which increases the amount of “glitter” you see on buds"

good airflow is probably a better solution than a small dehumidifier.

I was going to suggest an extraction fan, placed up high to remove the warm air at the top.

;)

According to this website, they say dehumidifying during flower may be beneficial to trichome production

Along with many other things.
Something I'm interested in is UV-B lighting.

Perhaps we should start other threads relative to these topics, rather than derailing this one.

;)

j

According to this website, they say dehudifying during flower may be beneficial to trichome production 7 Ways to Improve Cannabis Bud Quality | Grow Weed Easy

"During the flowering stage, your cannabis plants actually prefers less humidity!

Decreasing moisture in the air (lowering the humidity) during the flowering stage helps prevent mold and actually may increase trichome production in your buds! For best results, keep humidity 40%-50% during the flowering stage.

Lower humidity levels in the flowering stage helps promote trichome production, which increases the amount of “glitter” you see on buds"

Sure, but that does not disagree with my above statements.

I've got an industrial dehumidifier. I don't often run the thing, because it requires 15 amps of electricity, which is half my home's theoretical maximum electrical capacity, but because the wiring is 100 years old this year (fuse box is newer - date on it is 1939 ;) ), it's approximately 36"×36"×39", and heavier than duty. But even that thing would be hard-pressed to usefully dehumidify a space that is being actively ventilated.

If I want to be kind of dumb and stick my garden inside a larger room - and just continually move air from the room, to the garden, to the room, to the garden, to the.. In that type of scenario, it could help (although exhausting the garden out a window whilst allowing the process to bring fresh air in from somewhere world be a great deal cheaper). But, if that was my setup, I'd park the dehumidifier in that room, and size it for the torso volume of space, plus 20% to 25% to compensate for the plants' transpiration.

I bought this brand. It cost around $140. It does pH, EC and temperature at the same time. You can buy a new end piece if you need to. I also got the calibration solution to check it's reading correctly.

Get yourself some reagent to calibrate EC... if you're regularly monitoring EC.
You can't be sure the EC calibration was correct straight out of the box.

Those terminals look like they could use a clean, regular maintenance will help them last longer.

Sure but that does not disagree with my above statements.

I was agreeing with you.

;)

j

Get yourself some reagent to calibrate EC... if you're regularly monitoring EC.
You can't be sure the EC calibration was correct straight out of the box.

Those terminals look like they could use a clean, regular maintenance will help them last longer.

I was agreeing with you.

;)

j
When I bought it, I tested the EC calibration with the solution that came with the device and it was bang on. I was growing in coco when I started, and was using the meter daily. Now I'm growing in living soil so I really only use the pH side of it, and not very regularly I must admit.
And yeah, the terminals could do with a clean. I'll get on it.

Back
Top Bottom