Ec reader question?

digahdee

ec.JPG

I picked up this conductivity meter today but am not to sure how to use it. It didnt come with instructions. I was told that I want to get a reading of 1.4 "plants are 30 days old from seed", but when I put the meter in i get 09.0 when I want a single reading and 090 when I hold the button for 5 seconds to get a multimeasure.
Does anyone here use one of these of know what I should be doing with it.
Thanks

I am about to be late for my morning rounds so I don't have the time to go way into it but... I'm pretty sure that pen will have the option of reading in EC and TDS... switch it over to TDS if you don't get the hang of EC... I found this for you... should help!

WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO CALIBRATE A TDS OR EC METER?

Answer: Standard reference solutions are used. The bottles are marked with the conductivity (EC) value in micro Siemens/cm and the corresponding ppm values for sodium chloride (NaCl) and potassium chloride (KCl) solutions, and sometimes for a "442" reference mixture. The conductivity of sodium chloride solutions is close to that of hydroponic mineral nutrients, so a "1000-ppm NaCl" standard is most frequently used when calibrating the meter for hydroponic solutions. You should follow the calibration instructions in the manual, which the manufacturer of your meter provided.

WHAT DOES A TDS OR EC METER MEASURE?

Answer: The electrical conductivity (EC) of your nutrient results from motion of mineral ions when the meter applies an electrical voltage. The ppM value of a sodium chloride solution happens to be very close to half of its conductivity value (in microSiemens/cm), so many meters display the conductivity as an equivalent NaCl amount

WHAT DOES THE TERM PARTS PER MILLION (PPM) MEAN?

Answer: It is a common unit for measuring the concentration of elements in the nutrient solution. One ppm is one part by weight of the mineral in one million parts of solution.

HOW DO I CONVERT BETWEEN TDS AND EC READINGS?

Answer: To obtain an approximate sodium chloride TDS value, multiply the EC reading (in micro Siemens/cm) by 1000 and divide by 2.

To get an EC value, multiply the ppm reading by 2 and divide by 1000.

Thus, if your EC is 1:

1*1000/2= 500 ppm.

And if your ppm is 500:

500*2/1000= 1 EC

Thanks for answering New2growing and Captain Kronic,
I tried doing the google search but couldnt find much on this model.
I was in the store where I got it from today and was told I should measure my water before I add my nutes - when I did this it was giving me a reading of 060 and when i added 1/8 of nutes it went to 080 - does these reading sound right to you guys?
Thanks for reading

Back
Top Bottom