420 Magazine Background

Eco Friendly Laundry Detergents

Thread starter #1
I've been looking for new eco-freindly laundry detergents to experiment with and found this at Fresh & Easy. It's plant based using coconut materials. This particular one comes with a fabric softner mixed in. Works well in my standard washing machine. I have done a few loads and would definitely recommend this product. Price wasn't too bad either at $9.99. I always think you can stretch your uses by using a little under what they recommend unless its a really dirty load. ;)

FYI, I always use cold water to wash my clothes which also saves on energy and cleans my clothes just as well as warm or hot water.

Will post in this thread with other laundry detergents that I try. I encourage anyone else to do the same if they have one that they would recommend as well...

Last edited:

Administrator
Staff member
What a great idea Julie, thanks for posting this sweetie. :bravo:

Here is what I buy from Trader Joe's for about the same price and looks like the ingredients are about the same as well.

Here are the dryer sheets I get from Whole Foods, the ones at Trader Joe's are 420 times more expensive. This is the one rare case where Whole Foods is actually cheaper than Trader Joe's.

Thread starter #3
Very nice. I will have to try them both, especially the fabric sheets. I use a liquid softener now by Downey, 'Pure Essentials', which is plant inspired that I do love but am thinking it may not be as eco-friendly as I want it to be. Doesn't even give exact ingredients. I do hope that the soy in these products are not GMO's. However, I'm guessing because it's Trader Joe's and Whole Foods that they are not and will definitely try them next. ;)

Maybe one day we'll see hemp in our detergents and fabric softeners. :1:

TorturedSoul

Member of the Month: May 2009, Oct 2010, Sept 2017
Anyone ever use a "soap nut" (actually, it's a dried fruit from the Chinese soapberry tree) laundry product? I've read about them - apparently it takes three or four to do a load of laundry and they can be reused up to four times. They come with a bag to place them in. Natural, hypoallergenic, biodegradable, many of the products are organically grown. Some come with essential oils. I'm told that you can boil water and allow a few to steep overnight to make a household cleaner, hand cleaner, and shampoo.

They've been used in Asia and India for centuries.

OG13

Try using 1/2 the recommended amount of soap.....your clothes will be just as clean. Remember, even though the product is green, they still want you to buy lots of it ;-)

Titan

We started making our own green detergent: mix equal parts borax and washing powder and 1 shaved Fels Naptha bar.

This is an easy to store dry detergent that works in HE machines and helps with laundry allergies. I developed a nasty rash thanks to the detergent I had been using since a kid (fyi- you can run your washer about three times without any detergent- THAT'S how much residue is left behind). The price is nice and it fights stains. But also- no rash.

Sounds good, but question is where to find it? I have been looking for some good non-toxic products for my baby and will surely try it. BTW, I also heard about patanjali herbal detergent. Do you have any idea about that?

thanks