Editor Jailed for Marijuana

PFlynn

BAUANG, La Union — A Manila-based editor of a community newspaper was locked up in jail after he failed to post P200,000 bail for his temporary release when he was caught for allegedly selling marijuana in Barangay Baccuit Norte here on Saturday night.

Suspect Leo Gamit, 46, a resident of Inarawan, Antipolo City, showed his identification card to The STAR that he was the feature editor of Alppa Times and was only on vacation at the house of a relative here during his arrest.

He said that he was framed up when he was arrested by tanods (watchmen) in civilian clothes while drinking beer with a friend at a sari-sari store.

"While we were drinking, several tanods went near us and confronted me. And at that moment they ordered me to show what's inside my pocket. I refused and I said I want to see first their identification cards, after which they forced me and a commotion happened and then suddenly they showed marijuana which allegedly came from me," Gamit said.

A police officer told The STAR that they got from the suspect's possession a total of 10.64 grams wrapped in newspaper.

A case for violation of RA 9165 or the Dangerous Drug Act of 2002 was already filed against Gamit.

Gamit said he was not given due process because he was allegedly inquested without his knowledge.

The STAR tried to get a comment from Superintendent Manuel Castro, the town's police chief, but he was attending a command conference at Camp Diego Silang as of press time.

News Hawk: PFlynn - 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Philstar.com
Copyright: 2007 Philstar

Back
Top Bottom