Ed's Tent Grow #2: Blueberry, Coco Melon, Grandaddy Bruce, Gelato

It's only 6 hours since I left the girls and I already miss them :cheesygrinsmiley:

As it turns out, this snowstorm has delayed our guest's flight, so the house is empty until Wednesday. Now wifey is worried about the two feral outside cats we or our guest feed, and wants me to make a trip home Tuesday morning. This works out extremely well because guess what got delivered early?

:cheesygrinsmiley: 2nd tent! :slide:

:cheesygrinsmiley: Also in the mail, Barney's Purple Punch Auto from TrueNorthSeeds :cheesygrinsmiley:

Tuesday looks to be shaping up like a really great day.

I'll get to unexpectedly see the girls after two days (I love those surprise growth spurts!) I'll also get to set up the mothering/auto tent :cheesygrinsmiley: & drop a Mama Wappa and a few :slide:Autos to germ.

Grateful Ed
:ganjamon::cheesygrinsmiley:
:thumb:

It's only 6 hours since I left the girls and I already miss them :cheesygrinsmiley:

As it turns out, this snowstorm has delayed our guest's flight, so the house is empty until Wednesday. Now wifey is worried about the two feral outside cats we or our guest feed, and wants me to make a trip home Tuesday morning. This works out extremely well because guess what got delivered early?

:cheesygrinsmiley: 2nd tent! :slide:

:cheesygrinsmiley: Also in the mail, Barney's Purple Punch Auto from TrueNorthSeeds :cheesygrinsmiley:

Tuesday looks to be shaping up like a really great day.

I'll get to unexpectedly see the girls after two days (I love those surprise growth spurts!) I'll also get to set up the mothering/auto tent :cheesygrinsmiley: & drop a Mama Wappa and a few :slide:Autos to germ.

Grateful Ed
I’ll be interested to see those PP by Barney’s. I have one photo period in my tent now , it’s my biggest plant

Guardians of Treasure
guardians.jpg

:oops:
When I got home, only the primary streets had been plowed. I first tried the more level entrance and made it all the way to the first turn before bogging down. Next, I tried the shorter but steeper direct run but bogged down hopelessly again less than halfway up. Because of the tent array boxes to bring inside, I considered leaving the car right there with the hazards on, but instead moved it back downhill by a hydrant in case someone had to come down the road.

The first trip up was just my knapsack and a light box (fabric pots/box of rolling papers/guitar cord). I'm not a big fan of walking up this hill on a good day, let alone with a foot of snow under foot and a load to carry.

No one had fed the outside cats so that was the first order of business. They were very appreciative and appeared not to have budged much through the storm. Next, I shoveled a path and spread some salt. Snow had drifted to knees depth where the road meets my property.

Subaru's AWD is good but the Crosstrek is too low to the ground for 12+ snow.

Next I trudged up the rest of the array. Tent and LED, two long but manageable boxes ...:oops: until you get up halfway. The years do take their toll. Stopped half way for a brief rest. Back down for the FF soil box. Heavy, bulky, anti-fun. Another rest halfway up. Next trip, I decide to leave a few small items in the car. Small enough so as not to hinder our return trip with our two cats and their paraphernalia (extension cord/flour/1 gallon mason jar).

Last trip! Carbon filter, easiest - and yet - the hardest trip of them all.

Now I'm finally inside the house and can check on the girls. Room temp is good, girls look good ... putting on an inch or more the last 2 days. Nice solid green color all around, with Caydence and Belarose looking distinctly darker/bluer.

Gloriana and Giulia both have light pots, good thing I came to check. Makes sense, they're the biggest and will use the most water. Refilled the humidifier and set it to low. Should last about 2 days and manage of offest the dry winter conditions inside the tent somewhat.

By this time my car is parked by a hydrant with hazards on for an hour and the sun is beginning to rise. I realize I have no time for tent setup or seed germination today.

Patience.

Day #31 - finally got home after 3 nights, all the pots were very light and Georgia GDB was even wilting. They had all vegged out a bit too and required some tending and trimming. They're due next watering for veg nutes and seem to be doing fine.

In other developments, I dropped 5 new seeds to soak in preparation for the 2nd tent array.

As previously mentioned (#1) 'Mama' Wappa Fem PP; (#2) Bloody Skunk Auto (freebie); (#3) Purple Punch Auto; (#4) Critical Mass Auto; (#5) Cheese Auto (freebie)

Day #32 - Girls all recovered from their fresh new moorings. I am going to flower about a week earlier this time in an attempt to better control height and subsequent bud roast. That should be about Day#36, four days away. Trellis is ready, now about 10 inches above the girls.
02 06 2021.jpg

I also got the 2nd tent erected, the new Mars light setup :cheesygrinsmiley: , the carbon filter hung, and the exhaust fan and duct setup. I am two clamps shy to finish so need to wait until Home Depot opens to finish. Also need a power strip and a small fan if they have one. This tent is a Vivosun as opposed to my existing Yield Lab. Early review in comparison, I like the 2nd array better. I turned on the Mars just to ensure operation, and oh boy, that thing is BRIGHT!! Can't wait for the new girls to germ. Terribly excited for these Autos, and to try and clone that delicious Wappa.

Day #34

After lights out around 10:30 this morning, I am setting the light cycle to 12/12 for flowering.

They haven't reached the trellis yet but I recall from the last grow that they keep reaching for a while after switching to 12/12.

Too early for a final verdict, but at this point I like the results of topping vs. LST.

Top Left: Gloriana GDB Top Center: Bellarose Blueberry Top Right: Giulia Gelato
Bottom Left: Georgia GDB Bottom Right: Caydence Coco Melon
02 08 2021.jpg

Day #35

:cheesygrinsmiley: Switched the light cycle to 12/12. Everyone but Georgia GDB was super light and so got a watering including 1 tsp/gallon of Open Sesame :cheesygrinsmiley: It's probably unnecessary but better safe than sorry so I adjusted the FFOS enriched water from 5.2 to 6.0 pH. Now, only water through Day #41.

The girls tops are now anywhere from 10 to 7 inches from the trellis and fairly well positioned to fill up a majority of it. The trellis is ready to slide up or down as required. I think it's just about where it should be, the next week or so will tell.

Our height straggler at the moment is Bellarose Blueberry. Caydence Coco Melon has spread in a favorable position to fill her quadrant.

10 weeks now for Caydence Coco, 8 weeks for the rest :cheesygrinsmiley:

Day #36 - Flip Day #3

A few runners to chop. Observing much less need to trim runners using topping vs. LST and I kind of like it. Girls are all cooperating nicely for a SOG now fast approaching the SCROG. Spun Bellarose BB, Caydence Coco Melon and Georgia GDB around to even out and maximize growth. Adjusted Geogia GDB's tie downs in two spots.

02 10 2021 trimmed runners.jpg

Day #37 - Flip Day #4

:oops: look at yesterday's picture, then triple it ... I missed quite a few runners yesterday, that didn't happen overnight :oops:

Girls were super light but no droopies. Water came out 6.0 so right into the pots it goes. Each took over 3L. This is a good thing, we're all made of water, water, water.

The girls lobes are all pretty well positioned so most of the training today involved removing the iron wire U restraints, 5 today. These only work as long as the growth is within the pot perimeter. I am trying to train one of Georgia GDB's lobes out toward the barren 'southwest' corner of the ScrOG trellis. For this, I use a binder clip and garden tie down, seems to work out well enough.

:rolleyes::cheesygrinsmiley: We have a just a little nute burn on Georgia and Bellarose ... they're still relatively young and little ... and all their fortified soil is still pretty fresh ... I probably rushed the first FFOS dose a bit :cheesygrinsmiley: I am watching them closely now, and just administering water for a week.

We are getting very close to the trellis now, I won't be able to take the plants out much longer :cheesygrinsmiley:
I pulled out Geogia GDB and Caydence Coco Melon for some shots today.

Georgia GDB Top View
02 21 2021 Georgia Top.jpg

And Georgia's Side view:
02 11 2021 Georgia Sid.jpg

Caydence Coco Melon Top View:
02 11 2021 Caydence Top.jpg

Caydence Coco Melon Side View:
02 11 2021 Caydence side.jpg

Here is a top view of Bellarose Blueberry:
02 11 2021 Bellarose Top.jpg

Giulia Gelato and Gloriana GDB both asked not to be photographed today. Something to do with their Social Media image .... kids today.

We are getting very close to the trellis now, I won't be able to take the plants out much longer :cheesygrinsmiley:
I pulled out Geogia GDB and Caydence Coco Melon for some shots today.

Georgia GDB Top View
02 21 2021 Georgia Top.jpg

And Georgia's Side view:
02 11 2021 Georgia Sid.jpg

Caydence Coco Melon Top View:
02 11 2021 Caydence Top.jpg

Caydence Coco Melon Side View:
02 11 2021 Caydence side.jpg

Here is a top view of Bellarose Blueberry:
02 11 2021 Bellarose Top.jpg

Giulia Gelato and Gloriana GDB both asked not to be photographed today. Something to do with their Social Media image .... kids today.
Looking very good Ed, keep plugging away , you will have some fabulous buds in a few months

Day #40 - Flip Day #7, :cheesygrinsmiley: that means only 7 weeks until the Indica Girls Harvest and 9 weeks until Caydence Coco's Harvest :cheesygrinsmiley:

Glorianna GDB has all 4 lobes main through the trellis, and Georgia GDB has 2. Seems the GDB's are the most vigorous growers in the tent, and the highest producers of runners to trim.

Giulia Gelato also has 2 lobes through the trellis and a couple more very close. She is also producing ample runners, but being in the back corner she is a bit more difficult to stay on top of.

Bellarose Blueberry has 1 lobe poking through with the rest of the 3 main lobes ideally situated and not far behind.

Last is Caydence Coco, not poking through anywhere yet but very close on her 4 main lobes. Her southwest side lobe needed a bit more light so I trimmed portions of some neighboring leaves for her.

Day #43 - Flip Day #10

Light pots and stretching this A.M. Bellarose BB four main lobes stretched another inch up. I trained back 2 of Glorianna GDB most 'northwestern' lobes down yesterday just before 'nightfall'. They both recovered well and were again upright come 'daybreak'. Some of the stretched lobes are now less than the recommended 18 inch distance to the light. I have about 2 more inches I can raise the light without re-engineering the apparatus.
02 17 2021.jpg

Day #44 - Flip Day #11

Light pots AGAIN today :rolleyes: maybe it's the low winter humidity contributing to greater water consumption.

It took 3L each to shed some water into their drain pans. Room humidity is already rising, amazing little critters.

I am being much more selective in trimming for this grow #2. Topping the ladies has made this task much lighter and thus easier. There are 4 spots where I trim back portions of leaves to allow more light to developing lobes. This is opposed to trimming the entire leaf, as I did with the Wappa Sisters.

Also caught a few more small runners. I hope by keeping these in check, the remaining buds will be bigger. Bellarose BB has one long runner that escaped my attention and got away from me. She is still low and small enough to try to route to an empty space in the ScrOG so I spared her. There are definitely much fewer bud positions than the last grow, hopefully the fewer the bigger thing works!!

Day #43 - Flip Day #10

Light pots and stretching this A.M. Bellarose BB four main lobes stretched another inch up. I trained back 2 of Glorianna GDB most 'northwestern' lobes down yesterday just before 'nightfall'. They both recovered well and were again upright come 'daybreak'. Some of the stretched lobes are now less than the recommended 18 inch distance to the light. I have about 2 more inches I can raise the light without re-engineering the apparatus.
02 17 2021.jpg
Ed, if you only have 2 more inches, you better pull those plants out now and adjust your light . I say this because if you think they are stretching now, just wait for the next 2 weeks . You’ll need another 12 inches if not more. I’ve raised my light at least a foot and will end up having to raise another foot over course of next month. I am able to turn down intensity on one light and even my second light I just have to pull driver off the top to do it. Ideally I’d like to only raise up or down and not mess with intensity, glad it’s an option though
Looking good Ed, you’ll have those little fuzzy hats all over in the coming week , then some fat buds hopefully :)

Back
Top Bottom