egg shell pots

listen2marley

I just saw this thing where you take and egg and carefull knock the top 25-35% off and empty it out and then you can fill it with dirt like its a mini pot and its supposed to provide extra calcium and make the plant grow better. then when your ready you can acually just drop the whole egg shell into your normal pot and it will grow right through the shell? has anyone every heard of this or tryed it? It sounds like a good idea and I want to try it but then again I feel like the shell is going to make the roots feel root bound and stunt the growth. any opinions or info on this woud be greatly appreciated!

I'd say no to the idea. Too much Calcium can lock out Boron, Magnesium, and Phosphorous. Keep the egg shells in the garbage, or the compost bin, where they belong.

Nutrient-Lockout-Chart-from-Excess-Nutrients11.jpg

Worth trying, what's the harm?? More I think about it, the more I like it... Keep us informed.... Better than making a bong out of an apple, lol..

what's wrong with just regular pots? I swear half of you are just fucking around with this stuff :)

Yep, but that's how we progress or new ideas become the regular way.. I'm sure a pot was fucking around at one stage....why not just put them into the ground.

sorry, dude, but that's a real weak straw-man argument, but each to their own, I'm not saying to not try it, but it's stretching the limits of realistic benefits, especially considering the lockouts too much calcium can cause. why not plant straight into the final pot, skip the whole egg stage?

I can just see with the amount of calcium these plants love, it has a chance of working... Only one way to find out... And if it doesn't, who cares? Its fun, easy and worth a try.. If you put some drain holes, I'd see the roots growing through, into the soil, and break through the shell, then consume it.

you do know it takes years for shell to break down enough for the calcium to be available to your plants? they can take 18-24 months to decompose, so it will be several years before you see the benefits from those eggshells in your soil, by which time your plant is long gone :peace:

you do know it takes years for shell to break down enough for the calcium to be available to your plants? they can take 18-24 months to decompose, so it will be several years before you see the benefits from those eggshells in your soil, by which time your plant is long gone :peace:

Well, guess this answers the OP's question.

Back
Top Bottom