Egg shells

Indaking

Hello everyone
I read somewhere that mixing crushed egg shells in your soil adds nutrients. Well. My girl caught wind of this and now I have about a quarter pound of ground egg shells ready for me to use.
Now the questions. Does it really add anything to the soil? And how much should I use. Mix it right in? Or just top dress.
I'm not going to mess with my current grow. Just thinking about it for the next go around.
Thanks in advance.
Stay lifted everyone.

Yes some where in the historical debate & the fine art of cannabis growing i'm sure egg shells doe's not add or appear in the average grow.

How ever perhaps in high brix methods it may be used for some things which have far surpassed my memory at present :Namaste:

But this may apply in reusing soil/compost due to composition rate of material used to make nutrients available to use for the plant, which takes some time.

So in the short term off a single grow it is rather pointless.

Pointless in a single grow.

Calcium.

This is how peoplen screw up soil. Soil is complex. The compost part of soil is not a joke. Almost anything organic can go in there and work. But it cas to compost. The plant does not absorb egg shells it absorbs calcium.

Egg shells in particular take time. How long do you think it takes in a good hot propper compost for egg shells to break down...you might be surprised.

So if you are attempting to grow in soil like a pro and have a compost pile you could put them there.

But the #1 problem that almost all new soil growers have in their heads is they do not appreciate this is a 4 month plant.

Everyone wants to make the best plant ever and these ladies are chopped down before the soil can become good at all.

Some things take more than 4 months to even begin breaking down. So you can't grow propper out of a bag unless you know what you are doing. You can grow fine...just not propper.

What is propper? If it works it works...but putting stuff in there which cannot be used is making it more difficult on yourself.

Also they would there and you would have no calcium....then all of a sudden a ton at some point if you grew it long enough. Now things a are whack.

Better to decompose it in a controlled fashion and apply the compost correctly.

Somewhere in this forum is a post of using egg shells crushed then add apple cider vinegar to ferment and then you have a organic cal mag supplement. Just do a search and see if it works for you.

Yes this - egg shells need to be broken down. They are not soluble in that form and will take years to break down naturally. We don't add them to our compost for that reason. Although they can be good for aeration and VERY long term Ca amendment. There are much better options going the soil route. I use Crustacean Meal (shrimp meal, crab meal etc) for my long term Ca amendment. Cheap at the feed store too.

Very similar to a rock added to you soil, sure there's lots of minerals in that rock but it aint going into the soil any time soon.

Here's a good link to how to make your own Ca amendment :

Emmie's DIY CalMagPhos+ From Eggshells

I think i screwed up on the egg shells. My Ninja didn't grind them to a powder. My bananas in water and dried coffee grounds. The thing i like about organics as a new grower is i think it will less likely stress the plants. Hoping so.
1208181412.jpg

Oh you can still stress plants growing organically.

New folks to container gardening (thats all we are doing here) usually dont get the watering thing right. Start out over watering and end up WAY under watering at the critical times too.

Over watering with seedlings is a death nell in many cases. Under watering in flower and you get low yields and crappy grass tasting weed.

Here's a little tid bit most folks dont know that may help out. Plants in VEG use and need more nutrients in VEG and first few weeks in flower.

Fan leaves are sources of nutrients leave them alone if you can.

Oh you can still stress plants growing organically.

New folks to container gardening (thats all we are doing here) usually dont get the watering thing right. Start out over watering and end up WAY under watering at the critical times too.

Over watering with seedlings is a death nell in many cases.

Here's a little tid bit most folks dont know that may help out. Plants in VEG use and need more nutrients in VEG and first few weeks in flower.

Fan leaves are sources of nutrients leave them alone if you can.

YES and I have never been good with house plants. Someone told me once that you can't kill a Wandering Jew plant. I did 3x indoors amd brought it back to life by planting it in the ground outside :)

I have been adding a capful of peroxide to a pint of purified water when I can tell I have over watered them. It seems to help them get 02 when the soil is too heavy with water. I think that's the only reason they are still living.

I was reading last night on some website about scrog and other training methods and read about lollipopping. They said to take no more than 1/2 a fan leave when pruning, because in flower the plant will need those nutes.

I'm packing away all the good info and will be amazed if I harvest anything, but I will be so grateful.

Its calcium so I'm sure they can be used. One year on a soil grow. I was boiling eggs. I'd use the water I boiled in to water my plants after cooling. Then eat the eggs. Take the shells and crush. Then work that into my soil around the plants.

Ya like already said its kinda pointless, egg shells take sometime to break down. A 3 month grow is not long enough. Perhaps your girl can buy some red wriggler worms and start a compost and put the egg shells in there. Then in few months your can use that soil for the plants.

Its calcium so I'm sure they can be used. One year on a soil grow. I was boiling eggs. I'd use the water I boiled in to water my plants after cooling. Then eat the eggs. Take the shells and crush. Then work that into my soil around the plants.

Very nice profile pic you have there sir. :)

Back
Top Bottom