Electrical Question: Does this look right to you?

ultrasonic

Hey there everyone! I have recently purchased a ballast/reflector combo, (PowerKing brand digital) And I have been experiencing RF interference from it. I've been looking at the mogul socket connection and how it wired, and this is what I found:

top16.jpg

edit: the wiring cap here just popped off when I opened the lid.

inside4.jpg

Now, to me it doesn't seem like this was properly wired. The amount of exposed wiring, to me, is without a doubt the source of the issue. Would any electrically inclined individuals be able to provide me with any information?

Just FYI i'm sending these pictures to customer service in order to have the entire package refunded, not just the damaged ballast/2 broken bubls :slide:

Going LUMATEK this time baby: 600w dimmable model looks nice to me: I was considering just sticking with a 1000w, but its BRIGHT, and i'm concered with bleaching on my scrog. I'd rather run 2x 600watterz.

Thanks for any info you guys can provide :cool:

Re: Electrical Question: Does this look right to you?!

It does look like some real shoddy wiring. I had a ballast that was poorly wired too but caught it before I plugged it in and fixed it myself.

Heyo Weed420, thanks for the reply!

That was my first thought - i'm biggest concern is how it appears to be so unshielded - I just haven't seen ANY reflectors wired this this.

I sent off a request to customer service for a full refund, citing safety issues.

I went to Home Depot one day and purchased a f*** load of black electrical tape LOL. I never liked those caps.

those caps are always a pain to make them stay on there. I usually cap them and then electrical tape the hell out of the cap so it stays on, give it a couple tugs to make sure it's not going anywhere, then secure the wires.

Yeah looking at that bottom picture I definitely wouldn't plug it in.

Well Good News

While I did plug it in, twice, the second time it blew the bulb after a little while (think the bulb was damaged tho)

Customer service told me they were sorry I wasn't pleased with the quality, and that I would get a full refund, tho I do have to send it back. (however I do think this is on their shipping account which may make it cheaper... plus I didn't pay for shipping it to me)

Well right now i've got my eye on one of the newer lumatek dimmable digital ballasts. I'm trying to see right now if they've got a dual 600w dimmable model, since they're the newer ones, and I do plan on buying a second 600w after my first grow.

It's just hard to find somewhere that has what I want AND ships to Canada with some method other than UPS ground which is hell (duties etc gallore, almost always)

Thanks for everyone's advice so far! I'll update when I receive my new gear: and as for my "in the works" journal in my sig, I've got 4 white widow clones in the system right now, lucas formula 1/2 strength, ph adjusted to 5.8. I'll take pics when the clones recover and start sucking up some nutrients. to look green again.

One note on the dual setups. If you use them you have to have 2 lights plugged in. If you only try to use one at a time the ballast will burn out.

Back
Top Bottom