Electrician's advice --> please

logitech227

Thanks for stopping by if you did ;).

Well I need some help. I am going to be setting up a new grow op and I want to do it safely. I am going to be running (3) 600w 120/220v digital ballast so 1800w total. My question is will I be fine running this all off of a single 20a circuit or should I run it off a 220v 40a range circuit? Is that even possible because I thought you can only run one appliance off a single 220v outlet. How do you run multiple 220v ballast then? I am a little confused about that?

Mainly I am going to have my 1800w worth of lighting, 240watts of fans, 450w chiller, and 120w of random stuff running off a 12/12 lighting schedule. How can I do this safely without modifying my electrical because the place will be rented? Use 10g power cords from different 20a outlets running off separate circuits?
I need a game plan that is solid and won't bring me trouble. Thanks in advance!!

Thanks for stopping by if you did ;).

Well I need some help. I am going to be setting up a new grow op and I want to do it safely. I am going to be running (3) 600w 120/220v digital ballast so 1800w total. My question is will I be fine running this all off of a single 20a circuit or should I run it off a 220v 40a range circuit? Is that even possible because I thought you can only run one appliance off a single 220v outlet. How do you run multiple 220v ballast then? I am a little confused about that?

Mainly I am going to have my 1800w worth of lighting, 240watts of fans, 450w chiller, and 120w of random stuff running off a 12/12 lighting schedule. How can I do this safely without modifying my electrical because the place will be rented? Use 10g power cords from different 20a outlets running off separate circuits?
I need a game plan that is solid and won’t bring me trouble. Thanks in advance!!

A easy way to get your amps is divide watts by 10... 1800 watt=18 amps There are some factors the raise and lower that # like length of run, wire size etc...

So with that being said one 20 amp circuit will not work for you...

Before we go on, I need to know where the 220 outlet is compared to where you grow room will be... The max we could go safely with off the shelf products that you can work with is 25'.

Don't spend the dough on 10 gauge cords! Good ones are big $ and you will need that dough for a set of titan controls! And I need to know amps on the 220 is it 30/40/50 amps? Then I can show you a solution for $300 hopefully... I will check back :peacetwo:

Good luck with your new set up, sounds like it's going to be a great grow set up...

Sorry I can't help you with your question..I'm here like you, looking for info and was hoping I'd find it in your thread...

Not to hijack but maybe mule could help me out at the same time...

I will be running one or two 20a lines to our grow space and I'm not sure what gauge wire I should use...I too want it to be super safe, last thing I need to worry about is a fire hazard..

thanks for any help you could offer...
SK-slappy

re: Electrician's advice --> please

Good luck with your new set up botanist85, sounds like it's going to be a great grow set up...

Sorry I can't help you with your question..I'm here like you, looking for info and was hoping I'd find it in your thread...

Not to hijack but maybe mule could help me out at the same time...

I will be running one or two 20a lines to our grow space and I'm not sure what gauge wire I should use...I too want it to be super safe, last thing I need to worry about is a fire hazard..

thanks for any help you could offer...
SK-slappy

It's all good SK! I dig the SK clowns with power tools looking good! I can go into that with you later today! I will pop on over to your thread and check it out. Do you have the specs up on what you have? I would run 12 gauge get 12/2 SO cord found at home depot if it's a temp run... If it's perm we can walk thru that for ya also... :peacetwo:

You could make a set up pretty cheap if you could use the dryer outlet, or a smaller 220 outlet like for a window air unit. The dryer could not be used while your gear is running but hell some people hang their clothes on the clothesline, saves money. Use 10 guage cord, attach the proper plug, get a 4 curcuit breaker box and 4 15 amp breakers and 4 110 receptacles rated for 20 amps. Run 12 gauge wire from the breakers to each outlet that is mounted in whichever kind of box you prefer. I would screw them to a board. This will be more that enough to power your whole setup for less that $100.

Botanist, you could make a set up pretty cheap if you could use the dryer outlet, or a smaller 220 outlet like for a window air unit. The dryer could not be used while your gear is running but hell some people hang their clothes on the clothesline, saves money. Use 10 guage cord, attach the proper plug, get a 4 curcuit breaker box and 4 15 amp breakers and 4 110 receptacles rated for 20 amps. Run 12 gauge wire from the breakers to each outlet that is mounted in whichever kind of box you prefer. I would screw them to a board. This will be more that enough to power your whole setup for less that $100.

I really like the sound of that idea! Like I said I am bad with electrical so let me ask a few more questions.

Initially the 220v 40a outlet the electric range plugs into was my first thought. You tell me I can wire a whole separate breaker box off that single dedicated 220v 40a breaker the oven runs off of! ?!? That is fucking great news!

You see I would have never thought of that because I had no idea it was possible. I have no idea how to do it but thats what research is for. Give me a little bit of information and ill run with it.

How come you say 15a breakers and not 20a? I thought to get the amount of juice a single breaker can support you multiple the two numbers. 15a X 120v = 1800w total and 20a X 120v =2400w total. I dont know though, like I said I really have no clue.

I am really digging that idea though. How far of a run can I do? Does the breaker box need to be close to the 40a 220v outlet or can it be at the end of the 10g run?

Thanks alot for the solid information!! 420 rocks..:roorrip:

Always use 40amp for 220v and the thickest wire possible ... Even if it seems expensive... Good enough isn't just good enough... Heavy duty circuits should even be doubled ... Meaning a duplicate circuit... 1 to more than cover your projected needs ans 2. To cover all possible expansions.

A easy way to get your amps is divide watts by 10... 1800 watt=18 amps There are some factors the raise and lower that # like length of run, wire size etc...

So with that being said one 20 amp circuit will not work for you...

Before we go on, I need to know where the 220 outlet is compared to where you grow room will be... The max we could go safely with off the shelf products that you can work with is 25'.

Don't spend the dough on 10 gauge cords! Good ones are big $ and you will need that dough for a set of titan controls! And I need to know amps on the 220 is it 30/40/50 amps? Then I can show you a solution for $300 hopefully... I will check back :peacetwo:

What are titan controls??

Its a 40a 220v range outlet... and my growing area will be further than 25ft possibly but I can fix that if I have to.

Whats your solution? 300 isnt not bad -I dont care how much it will cost as long as it is safe and solid.

Thanks for chiming in

What are titan controls??

Its a 40a 220v range outlet... and more growing area will be further than 25ft possibly but I can fix that if I have to. W

Whats your solution? 300 isnt not bad -I dont care how much it will cost as long as it is safe and solid.

Thanks for chiming in

Bot , cheaper and more stealth then an electrician.... Powerbox™ 240 Volt Hydroponic Lighting Controllers & Timers

untitled67.jpg

I was using a dryer outlet in my example which is 30 amps. You will have 2 separate 30 amp legs, split 4 ways that gives you 2 15 amp circuits per leg, 2X15=30, so you would have 4 separate 15 amp circuits. If the range is 40 amps then you would need an 8 gage cord, then you could use 20 amp breakers. Do not use the 10 gage with 40 amps, use 8 gage. The 4 circuits to the recepticals can be wired in 12 gage. The cord will be the weakest link and if not fused correctly could burn up if overloaded. Make sure that the breaker to the stove is 40 amps, sometimes they are 50 amp and this would require 6 gage cord. The extension cord type wire will carry more load than romex type wire. The more flexable the wire is the more load it will carry. You can do a google search to determine the max length of the cord, but I think the cord could go 100 feet with out a problem. It has been a long time 15 years since I worked as an electrician. The cord will need to be 3 conductor having a red, black and white wire, you can also use 4 conductor that has an added green wire but you don't need it. Hook the red and black to the terminal attached to the bars that the breakers attach to, then hook the white and green, if you have green to the grounding bar, do the same to the plug with the hots going to the larger prongs on the plug, usually the slanted prongs to each side and the white going to the prong that looks different, generally the bottom prong. To hook up the recpticals with the 12 gage wire hook the black to the breaker and the white and green to the grounding bar in the breaker box. The recepticals have a silver screw that the white wire goes to and a brass screw that the black goes to, the green wire goes to the green screw. If I were you I would use boxes that are made for outside use and mount all of them to a board.

Just a little bit of help. 80% of max on any breaker! It really is just smart to stay well below the limits. Besides, it is code.

I know that most insurance policy's WILL NOT COVER anything if the electrical has not been inspected. I know that you said that you were renting. But still, do it right or not at all.

Don't mean to sound rude or anything. I just think that better safe than dead or in jail!

Back
Top Bottom